Quantcast

Thread: E-SWAT (Master System)

Master System E-SWAT (Master System)

Sega's armored cops took arcades and the Genesis by storm, and they eventually set up a precinct on the Master System. Closer to the coin-op than the Genesis version, the 8-bit game provides a decent amount of gameplay with some decent presentation. It's not as good as its siblings, but it makes for a decent addition to Master System libraries. Read the full review for more details.

Games like E-SWAT make me so glad Sega stopped trying so hard to do straight arcade ports with inferior hardware. The Master System port really suffers from boring level design and gameplay. It's too bad, too, because I think an adventure style take on ESWAT (a la NES Strider) would have been great. Put in some Rolling Thunder platform switching or anything to vary it up more than this. SMS E-SWAT is just so boring and has nothing to offer.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

^I have to agree. A while ago I wrote this about the game:

"it's got a certain charm...but the crude graphics, frequent flicker, constantly respawning enemies, barebones level design, repetitive gameplay, occasional slowdown, and unmemorable tunes keep it from being anything better than average."

BTW there are two versions of the ROM, one significantly easier than the other (much too easy, actually). I think the easy version was only released in Europe, IIRC.

That's interesting. I can't imagine Sega would tweak a game already in production just to alter the difficulty. Since it's only Europe, could there have been some PAL related issue which was also addressed with the revision?

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

thorough review - yeah i played this one (and the arcade) many years after the genesis one, got the impression it was going for more a rolling thunder kinda thing but as was said, just kinda fell flat in the port. makes me grateful for what we got in the next generation!

also didn't know about the 2 ROM versions, neat.

In putting together this review I watched several playthroughs of the arcade game and was wondering if it's as mediocre as most people make it out to be. It was one of those games that wasn't around much at our local arcade back in the day so I only played it once or twice at the most. If we did get a straight arcade port to the Genesis, would it have been as popular as the port we did receive?
    Review in Progress -

Next on the Review List -

The arcade ESWAT was awesome, and I'm sure all of us who played would have loved a straight port. Same as Altered Beast, really. I think ESWAT technically could have had a quality port on the Genesis, but I'd wager all of Sega's better resources were devoted to making Strider at the time. ESWAT probably would demand the same 8Mb power Strider needed for it to work; the arcade uses a ton of different sprites and designs which would eat up the ROM quick.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I'm not a fan of the arcade game myself. I thought the Genesis game was a lot more fun even if it wasn't as technically impressive.

Outrunner

To me, SMS should have followed the game as It was on Megadrive (simplified sprites, but more free roaming), while the Megadrive could have a proper impresive SWAT port...

Thread Information