Quantcast

Thread: Behind the Design: Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

Kiwi Behind the Design: Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

Early in the 16-bit era, Sega and Disney teamed up to produce one of the best platformers on the Genesis. They created a game that represented an early example of the power of Sega's new hardware and that is still beloved to this day. Sega-16 delves into the making of Castle of Illusion to see how this classic came to life and how it helped define a new generation of platformers. Read the full article for all the details.

ESWAT wanna be Wildside Expert

The last part of an article needs a rewrite: while the game was indeed removed from stores in 2016, Sega put it back once again on Steam, PSN and XBLA in 2017 around 1 April. (Or maybe day earlier?)

Of course sooner or later this license is going to expire too, I bet.
    Is Foxysen on both Steam and Skype

I've amended the article. It sucks that this could disappear at any time, and After Burner and OutRun have not been relisted. Digital distribution sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I've amended the article. It sucks that this could disappear at any time, and After Burner and OutRun have not been relisted. Digital distribution sucks.
    Indeed. It's very annoying that I have to play a cracked version of Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast. I'd rather the Ferrari licenses hadn't been in the game. Oh well, at least you can still track down an online copy or...a CD.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Indeed. It's very annoying that I have to play a cracked version of Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast. I'd rather the Ferrari licenses hadn't been in the game. Oh well, at least you can still track down an online copy or...a CD.
    The game was released in physical form and is still pretty cheap, at least it got a DVD release over here in the UK. Shouldn't be expensive to import it - there's even a seller on amazon.com who's selling a copy for 30 bucks.

You don't have to download the cracked version to play the game, is all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    The game was released in physical form and is still pretty cheap, at least it got a DVD release over here in the UK. Shouldn't be expensive to import it - there's even a seller on amazon.com who's selling a copy for 30 bucks.

You don't have to download the cracked version to play the game, is all I'm saying.
    The game is impossible to find in the US. $117 on Amazon.
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

The game is impossible to find in the US. $60+.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...outrun+2006+pc

30+6.75 shipping.

Someone got a steal. It's gone now and the cheapest copy online is $147...

Someone got a steal. It's gone now and the cheapest copy online is $147...
    UK seller selling UK copy of the game on Amazon.com is gone yes, but there is still loads of copies on Amazon.co.uk:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...condition=used

All of them cheap. I'm sure some of them are willing to ship to the States. FYI, the copies on Amazon.com that go for over $100; that's the Japanese version. Why it's expensive I've no idea, but the UK copy is plentiful and cheap as chips.

Just putting the info out there.

And it's back.

Outrun 2006 is easy and relatively affordable to find. The PC, PSP, and PS2 versions can be had for about $30. It's only the original Xbox version which is about $100+ when you see it available.

Digital distribution gives access to tons of games we otherwise would never have received if these independent studios and individuals had to worry about securing publishing and marketing for a physical product. Games have never been easier to find and cheaper to play. Of course, it absolutely stinks when a game is delisted due to licensing reasons, but those instances are rather few. I'm more perplexed why companies don't negotiate to ensure their product can be sold in perpetuity. If that is not an option, then just make the license like a DLC skin so that can be retired when the contract expires but would still allow the game to be available.

This was a very informative article. I never knew why Japanese developers never used their real names until now. It's too bad game developers were kept in the shadows like that because Sega has quite a few prominent women behind some of its best titles which you really don't see much even today.

Is there an actual reason for why the OG Xbox version of the game is so expensive? I thought it got released at the same time as the other versions?

I'd assume it had a smaller print run since it came after Microsoft launched the Xbox 360 and effectively killed off the original Xbox. That plus it being the best console version definitely make it harder to find and more desirable. Then, once Outrun Arcade Online got snuffed, it became the Outrun game to get, and its backwards compatibility with the Xbox 360 keeps the interested audience rather large.

Thread Information