Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS TV: Some advice needed

Formerly known as 5233 Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Default PS TV: Some advice needed

Can you guys tell me if its worth it to get a PS TV? I own a bunch of PSP, PS3 and PS1 titles on PSN, but dont have a working system since my PS2 and PS3 died, except my PSP-3000. I like the smallness and simplicity of it. Is it still functioning with the store and what are the pros and cons of it?

Master of Shinobi Hidden_Darkness's Avatar

It depends on what you want to play, there are quite a few ps1, psp, vita games that aren't compatible with the ps tv. It still functions fine with the store, from a portability standpoint it's a pretty cool little device if you can find it cheap and the games it is compatible with play great on it, being able to use a dualshock 3 or 4 to play psp and vita games is pretty nice. Other than some games not being compatible the only other con is that vita memory cards are pretty expensive since they use a proprietary format. The PS TV does work good but check out this list of compatible games with it before making your decision to buy one. http://www.reviews2go.com/playstatio...north-america/
    Last edited by Hidden_Darkness; 10-12-2017 at 09:39 PM.

It seems to support 99% of all the games I want to play, with only a few exceptions. Final Fantasy X Remaster is the only Vita game I'd actually buy physically (I know the X-2 is download only but I don't care for that one). I may pick one up. Sadly though, my PS3 controllers are screwed up and I don't have an HDTV in my room besides the den (where my mom watches all day) so those will have to be resolved before I can use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeckidy View Post
    It seems to support 99% of all the games I want to play, with only a few exceptions. Final Fantasy X Remaster is the only Vita game I'd actually buy physically (I know the X-2 is download only but I don't care for that one). I may pick one up. Sadly though, my PS3 controllers are screwed up and I don't have an HDTV in my room besides the den (where my mom watches all day) so those will have to be resolved before I can use it.
    It also works with a dualshock 4 if you want to go that route, they go on sale quite often for around $40. It's a pretty good little ps1 and psp player, that's mainly what I use mine for.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden_Darkness View Post
    It also works with a dualshock 4 if you want to go that route, they go on sale quite often for around $40. It's a pretty good little ps1 and psp player, that's mainly what I use mine for.
    And that's exactly why I want one. I like the smoothness of the DS4, so I wouldn't mind getting one as well. Question: can HDMI Monitors for PC be used like a standard HDMI TV to play these consoles?

And that's exactly why I want one. I like the smoothness of the DS4, so I wouldn't mind getting one as well. Question: can HDMI Monitors for PC be used like a standard HDMI TV to play these consoles?
    It should work fine with a pc hdmi monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden_Darkness View Post
    It should work fine with a pc hdmi monitor.
    Then it's settled! I need to go to Goodwill and get me one of these, as I see them for cheap (about $15-20).

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Can you guys tell me if its worth it to get a PS TV? I own a bunch of PSP, PS3 and PS1 titles on PSN, but dont have a working system since my PS2 and PS3 died, except my PSP-3000. I like the smallness and simplicity of it. Is it still functioning with the store and what are the pros and cons of it?
    The PS TV is most-definitely worth it. Consider it the smallest home console ever made. And a powerful one at that. It is my go to PS Vita system. Get it while you can. Expect this to raise to insane prices in 3 years time. You will wish then you had snatched one of them while you could.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    The PS TV is most-definitely worth it. Consider it the smallest home console ever made. And a powerful one at that. It is my go to PS Vita system. Get it while you can. Expect this to raise to insane prices in 3 years time. You will wish then you had snatched one of them while you could.
    Amazon has them for $50 brand new. I will probably get one there, as they have free shipping for items over $25. BTW, is it true the WiFi is bad on this thing? How much worse than PSP? I always noticed PSP was slower than PS3 in terms of download from PSN.

Psp

Yep, the PS TV is amazing. My only gripes are:

* Memory cards remain stupid expensive. You're looking at roughly $100 for the 64 GB card. Vita games can be upwards of 4 GB. I have an 8 GB card, and I'm sick of deleting games to make room for others, and that's just after 2-4 games.
    * Even games which can run on the PS TV will not let you load it from the PS Store unless you first load it to the PS3 as a middleman. It's dumb.
    * Some PSP games remain unplayable since those UMDs never made it to the PSN Store. Not really a big deal (I got my PSP Go full knowing this), but still annoying if you were hoping to play Outrun, Sega Rally, or Virtua Tennis on the thing.
    * No Netflix support. Again, just stupid for a TV device. No PS Vue support, either.
    * A few games actually use the Vita's touchscreens. There's a built-in workaround to handle some options, but any game which actively uses touch as part of gameplay -- looking at Tearaway here, unfortunately -- means it's a no go on the PS TV.
    * Vita and especially the PSP aren't terribly HD friendly. YMMV depending upon your display setup and tolerance. Know that playing, say, Skullgirls on PS TV won't hold a candle to the other titles actually designed for a large display.

In the scheme of things, these really aren't that bad. As much of a pain as the overpriced memory cards are, I do like that I can use the PS3 to get around that sort of by storing games on it. You'll still have to deal with lengthy transfer times, but it won't be quite as painful as downloading from the ever slow PS Store. As much as I want that 64 GB card, knowing that I'd still not have enough space for everything, I've come to accept this as my long term solution to the problem.

If you're new to PSP, then the PS TV offers an amazing and robust catalog of games before you even get to the Vita stuff. I actually like the PSP selection better, but Vita still gives you the best versions of Persona 4, Muramasa, and some others.

My PS3 is dead and I have no plans to repair it anytime soon. :\

End of line.. ESWAT Veteran gamevet's Avatar

My PS3 is dead and I have no plans to repair it anytime soon. :\
    What happens when you try to power up your PS3?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    What happens when you try to power up your PS3?
    It whirs when it boots up as usual, then when the light turns green, the system dies down with a weez. Some say it's the power supply.

I use mine to play PSP games and whatever Vita carts it accepts. Works great.
    "Two and two continue to make four, in spite of the whine of the amateur for three, or the cry of the critic for five." - James McNeill Whistler

It whirs when it boots up as usual, then when the light turns green, the system dies down with a weez. Some say it's the power supply.
    YLOD? You hear three quick beeps?

Thread Information