Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original XBox Modding

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Xb Original XBox Modding

After clearing some space I've finally got my XBMC modded 'box in the game setup mix. Halo really is as good as the hype and Panzer Dragoon Orta is just legend. I don't like not being able to perform my own softmods though, and am keen to give it a go. I'd like to do it this way...

https://youtu.be/DJOEen1-234

... Anyone know if this works for PAL units? Also, anything else / tips anyone can offer? XBoxes are well cheap at the mo so now would be a good time. One more thing, I've checked an online resource and found some HDDs that should work, I may even already have one in a box, anyone able to confirm any they got working?

As always, thanks for looking .
    Last edited by cleeg; 10-18-2017 at 05:41 PM.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...-original-xbox

make sure at least to find a usb stick less than 2 gb :P

Cheers dude.

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

The softmods are decent, but if you can still find an xecuter 3 modchip it works so much better. The install isn't hard at all, and there are some nice options it opens up (like being able to use a front Panel LCD, selectable BIOS banks, etc).

I've had one in my oXbox for many years now and it's never given me a single issue.

As for HDD's. I think I have a Seagate in there with 250GB I believe, which is the largest PATA IDE drive I was able to get at the time without getting into crazy expensive territory.
    You CAN get a SATA drive to work in an oXbox with a SATA to PATA converter, and I believe it will support up to 2GB, but that's where things get flaky in terms of it working or not.

Thanks for the info Groove, I'll check that out.

Sorry to double post here; I can't see from searching the internet that it makes any difference which model ('early' or 'late') XBox you have with respevt to the modding process. Just to he sure, there are none that are mod proof are there?

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    Sorry to double post here; I can't see from searching the internet that it makes any difference which model ('early' or 'late') XBox you have with respevt to the modding process. Just to he sure, there are none that are mod proof are there?
    No, just some were a bit more difficult (later batches). But at this point you should be able to find a guide to mod any (soft mod or hardware mod) no matter what revision you get.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

In short:
    All models can be softmodded, in the same way (and if you know how to "hotswap" the HDD you don't even need an exploitable game).
    All models can be chipped - if you have one (aladdin xt clones are still widely available). straightforward. just note that on 1.6 models you should put a slightly different BIOS on the chip.
    All models below 1.6a/b can be modded in a way that's basically identical to being chipped, without using an actual chip (look up "TSOP mod").

wrt HDDs, to use larger disks (>137gb iirc) you need to use a BIOS with support for "LBA48", but that's no big deal.

Thank you mordapn, I'll do some more reading. I have a 1.5/6 (the seller isn't 100% clear on it) model on the way. I have a HDD (PATA 300GB Maxtor something something) which I think will work. I'll report my progress...

Quote Originally Posted by mordapn View Post
    wrt HDDs, to use larger disks (>137gb iirc) you need to use a BIOS with support for "LBA48", but that's no big deal.
    That's good to know. I just picked up a cheap Xbox with no way of testing it until my mail order SCART cable came in, and I'm seeing that the CD-ROM is not working. I'll still try to fix it, but I'd much prefer being able to boot from HDD anyway.

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    and I'm seeing that the CD-ROM is not working.
    A friend of mine (who owned a store at the time) once gave me an Xbox that had a "broken CD-rom drive"
    So I opened up the Xbox and then the CD-Rom drive and cleaned the lens, worked fine after that.

Might be worth a shot.

I will say after cleaning the lens the drive does spin and attempt to read the disc now, but I still can't get games or music CDs to load. Apparently the original Xbox used custom backwards spinning drives (?), so finding parts is not as easy and cheap as I had hoped. Disappointing, too, seeing how my Samsung drive is supposedly the better drive to have. Oh well.

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Yeah CDRs can be a pain to read with a tired lens, but if its modded you don't need the DVD drive. you can just install stuff via the network.
    That's what I always tell people when they want to get into xbox modding, set it up so you can ftp to it from your pc or hook it up to your network.

I have it hooked up to my network, it can see my nas and both my xboxes can see each other. very handy.

At one point I even had a program on my xbox that would look at a certain folder on my NAS where I kept my xbox isos,
    allowed me to install straight from there, though its been ages since I last did that so.. not sure if I remember the details.

I always hoped for a nice program that would allow me to create my own kinda Xbox Live Marketplace.. where I could install emulators/rom packs/games/dashboards from.
    but alas, the scene died.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    I will say after cleaning the lens the drive does spin and attempt to read the disc now, but I still can't get games or music CDs to load. Apparently the original Xbox used custom backwards spinning drives (?), so finding parts is not as easy and cheap as I had hoped. Disappointing, too, seeing how my Samsung drive is supposedly the better drive to have. Oh well.
    It's been ages, but there were drives that could be modified to work with the oXbox. I did that on one of mine. Basically you unmounted the motor and reversed it, then flashed the drives firmware with a compatible version.

The oXbox can't tell the difference, and more reliable.

But it's been a hell of a long time since I've done that, and no clue how easy it would be to even find working versions of those drives now.

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

It's far less hassle to just buy any OG Xbox DVD drive listed as working. They're cross-compatible across every revision of the Xbox. Dunno if my system is compatible with massive drives, so I just have a 120GB drive in mine. Installed almost all of my disc games, but I CBA to play them. ALSO: Had no end of fun in the softmodding process with my Pelican controller. While the controller is great, Linux HATES it, and you have to have an original MS controller to get to the point where you're formatting the new drive. At least in my experience.

Thread Information