Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Original XBox Modding

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Should be landing today, I'll report in after a tinker. Will my wireless Logitech pads get me through? Or do I need a wired official one? I'm just installing the new dash today / this week, and leaving the HDD changeover until next.

Thanks for all the support on this folks.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Yeah CDRs can be a pain to read with a tired lens, but if its modded you don't need the DVD drive. you can just install stuff via the network.
    That's what I always tell people when they want to get into xbox modding, set it up so you can ftp to it from your pc or hook it up to your network.

I have it hooked up to my network, it can see my nas and both my xboxes can see each other. very handy.

At one point I even had a program on my xbox that would look at a certain folder on my NAS where I kept my xbox isos,
    allowed me to install straight from there, though its been ages since I last did that so.. not sure if I remember the details.

I always hoped for a nice program that would allow me to create my own kinda Xbox Live Marketplace.. where I could install emulators/rom packs/games/dashboards from.
    but alas, the scene died.
    Lately Iíve been having a bug in my ear to get into some emulation, but I wasnít sure where to begin. I had a feeling that you might be a good person to ask about it, though.

Got the new box, all modded already, the seller must have known! I splurged on Splinter Cell too. £2 down the drain!

Anyhow, whacked in a new 500GB HDD (Seagate) and made it NTSC HD compatible and it's running like a charm.

Happy days!

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

Splinter Cell is one of the best Xbox games, even if you only judge it by its technical merits. No waste of money, even if you don't like espionage games very much.

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Lately Iíve been having a bug in my ear to get into some emulation, but I wasnít sure where to begin. I had a feeling that you might be a good person to ask about it, though.
    Try the Coinops build for modded xboxes. Be warned tho, the FULL package is gigantic, and can occasionally be a bit hard to find (since it includes all the iso's and rom's prepackaged).

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    Got the new box, all modded already, the seller must have known! I splurged on Splinter Cell too. £2 down the drain!

Anyhow, whacked in a new 500GB HDD (Seagate) and made it NTSC HD compatible and it's running like a charm.

Happy days!
    Nice!
    If you like that, I highly suggest Escape from Butcher Bay. Not a SC game, but it's a great stealth game (if you want it to be). I only recently played it about a year and a half ago for the first time, and it still holds up incredibly well.
    Last edited by EclecticGroove; 11-05-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks for the tips. Truth be told, I've never even looked into Splinter Cell, but I'll maybe have a look after the recommendations.

CoinOps is a must, no reason to mod the thing without it! I think I have version 5 and never updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    CoinOps is a must, no reason to mod the thing without it! I think I have version 5 and never updated.
    It's good yeah. I still like XBMC as the default dash however, but ever since they re-branded themselves as Kodi and moved away from the Xbox roots updates have been pretty few and far between. Still a phenomenal media player, but only for older displays or for streaming audio.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

bought a new usb stick and it worked! I have now softmodded my xbox. one question though: how can I force my games into 720p? I have enabled all hd resolutions but when inserting a game that is supposed to be 720p it doesn't go higher than 480p.

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    bought a new usb stick and it worked! I have now softmodded my xbox. one question though: how can I force my games into 720p? I have enabled all hd resolutions but when inserting a game that is supposed to be 720p it doesn't go higher than 480p.
    Try enabling only 720p in the dash, although it's possible the game is defaulting to 480 for some other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by EclecticGroove View Post
    Try enabling only 720p in the dash, although it's possible the game is defaulting to 480 for some other reason.
    I did this and no 720p. all my games are now forced into 720x480p though which is higher than what 480p games are supposed to be, so happy with that but can't get 720p to work yet :P

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

You are using the right kind of cable? The pack-in composhite lead won't get you too far. You want component (YpYWhatever) or maybe even VGA, though the latter is an advanced topic.

Quote Originally Posted by mordapn View Post
    You are using the right kind of cable? The pack-in composhite lead won't get you too far. You want component (YpYWhatever) or maybe even VGA, though the latter is an advanced topic.
    I use component cables. they should be able to showcase hd.

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    I use component cables. they should be able to showcase hd.
    It should, unless your TV refuses to. Might want to see if you can ensure they didn't do something idiotic like lock out "HD" resolutions when not using HDMI.

Thread Information