Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: List one game you overplayed in the 90s

I think I overplayed pretty much most all of my games as a kid. Back then having a game was a bigger deal. You'd spend months, maybe even years playing the same one because it wasn't like you could just go out and buy something different all of the time. I never even heard of a used game being for sale in a store, until we first got GameStop around here, which wasn't until around 02 or so?

It seemed like such a weird concept to me at first - A used game? Why do I want a used game? It probably won't even work! Or it'll smell like cigarettes or something. I remember getting MGS2 one year for Xmas and I was so shocked to find that it was not shrink wrapped, and in fact it was used. I was thinking we got scammed or something, I believe it was from GameStop.
    Last edited by WarmSignal; 10-19-2017 at 11:41 PM.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    I think I overplayed pretty much most all of my games as a kid. Back then having a game was a bigger deal. You'd spend months, maybe even years playing the same one because it wasn't like you could just go out and buy something different all of the time. I never even heard of a used game being for sale in a store, until we first got GameStop around here, which wasn't until around 02 or so?

It seemed like such a weird concept to me at first - A used game? Why do I want a used game? It probably won't even work! Or it'll smell like cigarettes or something. I remember getting MGS2 one year for Xmas and I was so shocked to find that it was not shrink wrapped, and in fact it was used. I was thinking we got scammed or something, I believe it was from GameStop.
    You didn't have a Funcoland back in the late 80's?

I can relate to what you are saying about playing a game to death, because it was one of the few you had. I had played the 2600 version of Space Invaders so much, that I remember looking at a book and having the image literally burned into my retina. I was rolling the score on that game in a zen like coma.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

It's kind of hard to pin down my most played game of the 90's. It might be Sonic 3 & Knuckles (probably definitely in regards to consoles) but once I got a PC my gaming habits got a lot more hardcore and there were a lot of games I spent time being obsessed with.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    You didn't have a Funcoland back in the late 80's?

I can relate to what you are saying about playing a game to death, because it was one of the few you had. I had played the 2600 version of Space Invaders so much, that I remember looking at a book and having the image literally burned into my retina. I was rolling the score on that game in a zen like coma.
    Nah, we had a Software Etc in the 90s and apparently they did have some used games, but I never noticed. Mostly bought PC games there. We got most of our console games from places like Sears, Kmart, Ames or Hills back in the day.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I was in the middle of nowhere. Funcoland was only spoken of in legends by friends who had been there.

Most of my games came from Kaybee and retail chains.

Also, HILLS IN THE HOUSE, REPRESENT!

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Saturn)
    MK3 (PSX)
    Streets of Rage 2 (MD)
    DOOM (PSX)

Defo the ones that spring to mind.

Soukyugurentai - Sega Saturn.

Simply put the best shooter ever made and my most played game of all time and most prob my 2nd fav game of all time too. I bloodly classic RAIZING were the best
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Darius II
    Street Fighter II Champion Edition + Super Street Fighter II
    F-Zero
    Battletoads
    Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    Zero Wing
    Road Rash II

Young Girl Goes Blind in One Eye After Playing ‘King of Glory’ Non-Stop

Read more at WOB: http://www.worldofbuzz.com/young-gir...lory-non-stop/
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Don´t let Wii die!!!

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

More like King of Glory Hole.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    HILLS IN THE HOUSE, REPRESENT!
    Hills is where I got my first 5200 game - Frogger!

Overplayed games? I've had fun thinking or reminiscing about the games I played the most back then. Like, what game did I play so much I didn't ever want to play it again? ...I can't think of any, though there probably were one or two at the time.
    Ah... Thunder Force III just came to mind. I've told the story before of how I'd been looking for Phantasy Star II for months and no stores had it. One day after asking for PSII at an Electronics Boutique, the clerk suggested TFIII instead. I went for it not knowing anything about it. Back then as a teenager money was tight, and there were long gaps in the Genesis release schedule. TFIII got played a lot, and I definitely was sick of it at some point. In fact I was sick of shoot'em ups altogether after that early 90's Genesis era. It wasn't until 1999-2000 that I got heavily back into shmups with Strikers 1945 Pt2 on Saturn (yes I'd already had Radiant Silvergun and played the shit out of it, but it was Strikers 1945 Part 2 that turned me back into a die-hard shooter gamer) and then Gunbird II on Dreamcast, and Zero Gunner 2, and Trizeal, Radirgy, etc.

Baron's post also reminded my of how I played Hang-On and Astro Warrior on the Master System way too much, but that was the late 80's.

Quake and its mods like team fortress and mega tf. Ive spent thousands of hours with that game... Good times.

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

I don't think I've ever over played any game. I've played some a hell of a lot, but never to the point of getting sick of them.

Whenever I've felt like I was getting fatigued by a game I just stopped playing it for awhile and did/played something else.

90's games in specific?

Shining force 1 and 2.
    Phantasy star III and IV.

FF IV, VI, VII, VIII, and tactics.

Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross.

Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Lots of RPG's basically.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Oh man, growing up I played Shining Force on the Mega Drive until I even started bloody dreaming about it and I played Soul Blade, Breath of Fire III, FFVII, Suikoden, Resident Evil and Command & Conquer Red Alert:Retaliation on the PS1 far more than would be deemed healthy by any sane individual.

& Knuckles Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker DAGarden's Avatar

I grew up with a Sega Mega Drive II and a Mega Games 6 cartridge, so this cartridge spent most of the time in my Mega Drive for quite a few years. I would mostly play Sonic the Hedgehog on it, although I would also play Columns and Revenge of Shinobi. When I finally got a copy of Sonic 2 however, the cartridge replaced Mega Games 6 and sat in my console for the longest time. I would play it so much, that my Mum would get annoyed at how long I was spending in front of the TV daily, and that I was becoming very anti-sociable. Looking back, it was a great time and I wouldn't change doing so, but sitting so close to the TV for such long periods of time must have contributed to me requiring the use of strong glasses on a permanent basis. Maybe I should have listened to my Mum more, but I was a kid, and I thought I knew better.

Thread Information