Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My only 32x game doesn't load...

Default My only 32x game doesn't load...

I have just received the mighty mushroom.

I had minor trouble loading a few genesis games but now it is all good (putting the spacer does help in my opinion).

Now I go and insert Afterburner..but nothing. Just the screen about the licensed and such.

Now I know the 32x can give games trouble but it is weird all my genesis games I have inserted (including the sonic and knuckls lock on) work but not the afterburner. I have tried with maybe 5 games.

Do you think it is due to the cartridge or the 32x itself?

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I would be giving the Afterburner cart pins a thorough clean unless you have done so already, and the 32X cart slot connector as well. Then maybe think about reseating the ribbon cables inside the 32X - they are notorious for being a bit finicky.

I thought about the ribbon issue but then why do all my genesis games work?can 32x games be 'harder' to load than genesis games?

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I dunno, I'm not a technical person so I can't really answer that. And I haven't used my 32X in a long time (or for very long at all, the screen interference was unacceptable), but I never found the games themselves any more finicky to boot than standard MD carts. I would fiddle with the ribbon cables anyway just to eliminate it from the equation and if that doesn't work hopefully someone more tech minded will jump in.

I know I had issues related to the seating of those ribbon connectors on my launch model BITD, but I can't remember if they affected just 32X software or MD as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    I dunno, I'm not a technical person so I can't really answer that. And I haven't used my 32X in a long time (or for very long at all, the screen interference was unacceptable), but I never found the games themselves any more finicky to boot than standard MD carts. I would fiddle with the ribbon cables anyway just to eliminate it from the equation and if that doesn't work hopefully someone more tech minded will jump in.

I know I had issues related to the seating of those ribbon connectors on my launch model BITD, but I can't remember if they affected just 32X software or MD as well.
    Thanks for your answer. I will toy around with the ribbon yes. For now I assume it is the cartridge which is at fault.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the cart? They get buildups of corrosion sometimes which will result in no boot up or just the license screen. The easiest, and IMO most effective way to clean them is to take a white pencil eraser (one of those Hi Polymer ones) and gently rub it along the contacts (I don't know if this is possible without removing the cart cover to expose the PCB).

I did with qtip and alcool..I know it worked for some mark III my card. but I also know it didn't work with a copy of shinobi 3 I had. Still nothing. Soon I should get Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter. If None of them work I will need to face the reality: the 32x is not in 100% condition.

I bought Afterburner from this ebay guy who didn't mention much about the condition..I sent him an email but no answer for now. I bought a cheap copy to try the 32x. I am located in Europe and finding sellers selling 32x genesis games for a cheap price are hard to come by!

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Alcohol and qtip are good for a general cleaning, but I find it doesn't really remove the oxidation. Give the pencil eraser a try - you might be surprised. One swipe of it and the contacts will be sparkling.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Yeah, definitely open up that sucker. I thoroughly cleaned my copy of The Legend of Zelda with q-tips and rubbing alcohol and it still didn't work. After opening it up, I found that there was corrosion all over the contacts. It took a while, but cleaning it with an eraser definitely did the trick. If nothing else, you can rule out damage and corrosion if you don't see any.

I have to be honest..I have never heard of using an eraser too clean a game. I will give it a try..if I can manage to open the catridge

Quote Originally Posted by gamer888 View Post
    I have to be honest..I have never heard of using an eraser too clean a game. I will give it a try..if I can manage to open the catridge
    I keep a small stack of Pink Pearl's just for that purpose! I use 99.9 alcohol first. If that fails...eraser time with alcohol after to remove debris. If that fails, then I break out the de-ox-it and repeat. But usually the alcohol and eraser are enough most of the time.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

If the rubbing alcohol fails to me, I go to the Brasso. You have to be careful with it (as it can take off more from the pins than you would want), but it provides me with better results than the eraser method, it doesn't require nearly as much labor as the eraser method (nor does it require removing the PCB from the cart), and it doesn't feel like I'm about to snap the PCB in half when I'm doing it.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Hell, I have an rubber eraser dedicated to just cleaning video game cartridges. Mostly all I use than use an old toothbrush to remove eraser debris and wipe pins with a damp (with glass cleaner) cloth.

3.8mm & 4.5mm Security Screwdriver Bits or sometimes called Games Bits are a must for any retro video game enthusiast. One can also make their own by taking an small flat blade screwdriver shaping it to fit the head of security screws.

DIY Gamebit Screwdriver to Open Nintendo, Gameboy, SNES, N64 & Retro Video Game Consoles
    by edbersan in electronics

Edit: "it doesn't feel like I'm about to snap the PCB in half when I'm doing it." What? Edit2: Yeah okay okay, one should place the pin end of the board down on a table or such flat surface, also I usually put a newspaper under to collect eraser debris.
    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 10-24-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Level 1 Blast Processor Road Rasher

Those ribbon cables are almost always to blame, and yes your Genesis games can still work fine even the cables are dodgy, making diagnosis tricky. Open it up, unplug them, plug them back in, enjoy.

I've only got dev units but they suffer from the same problem - Mega Drive games work fine, 32X games need the ribbon cables wobbling occasionally.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

I almost never enjoy messing around with ribbon cables.

Thread Information