Quantcast

Thread: Repaired and Recapped VA3 Model 2 Sega Genesis /w CXA1145M

Road Rasher

Genesis Repaired and Recapped VA3 Model 2 Sega Genesis /w CXA1145M

Hello again,

I'm short on cash, so I'm still unloading my Sega stuff. I've recently fixed up another VA3 Model 2 Genesis; this one had a faulty pad underneath a 1K resistor pack causing massive graphical problems. As the pad itself was corroded beyond repair, I simply jumped the afflicted track with a 1K resistor and, after soldering it to the VRAM chip, fixed it in place with some Super Glue so it won't go anywhere. Graphics are now perfect, no visual problems at all noticed.
    IMG_0383.JPG

And speaking of graphics, I replaced the original KA2195D encoder with a Sony CXA1145M, with a 91pF cap at C30 to give a slightly sharper composite picture. It looks vastly better than the KA2195D did, it's brighter and sharper with very low pixellation and good color.
    IMG_0384.JPG

I've also adjusted the onboard 315-5684 to give much sharper, brighter and less muffled sound. The third-order corner frequency was raised to about 7.9 kHz, so it sounds a good deal clearer than your typical Model 2.
    IMG_0385.JPG

Last but not least, I've given it a full recap with brand-new, good quality Wurth Elektronik, Nichicon, Rubycon and Illinois Capacitor units.
    IMG_0382.JPG

Cosmetically the case is in pretty good shape, only minor scratches, scuffs and dust. I gave it a good scrubbing in the sink with dishwashing detergent. Both the top and bottom RF shielding has some rust.

Asking $25 + shipping to any address in the lower 48 United States. International shipping will cost more.
    Last edited by Eep386; 02-17-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Road Rasher

Default more pictures

Additional pictures:

The top of the unit:
    IMG_0387.JPG

The bottom of the unit:
    IMG_0388.JPG

A closer look at the serial number label:
    IMG_0389.JPG

I bought a "modified" genesis 2 from this seller. He is a serious, reliable and delivered as promised. Since then I bought a genesis 1 (with the High Definition Graphics on the top). Unless my genesis 1 had its own original board revision removed, I assume it is as good as people say it should be. However the Eep386's genesis 2 that he sold me has a actually a better sound.

I recommend his work.

Road Rasher

This is still for sale, if anyone's interested.

Road Rasher

Still up for sale!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Nordak's Avatar

That's a really good deal. If I wasn't on a tight budget at the moment, I'd pick this up in a heartbeat. Amazed it hasn't been sold. Good luck.

Thread Information