Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally found a rev. 00 Super Hang On

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Tor Landeel View Post
    In case someone is interested, I tested it. REV00 with a 10mhz mod is blazing fast in some parts, but the framerate is still very jumpy so it becomes a bit difficult to play because of these inconsistencies.
    It only gets solid 30 fps when running at 12 Mhz.

At which point does the VDP give up because the 68000 runs too fast? (and you can't overclock the VDP because that messes up with video timings)

Hero of Algol

My tests with real hardware (Model 1 VA5 and VA6) indicate that past 12 MHz things get shaky; lots of games freeze or show glitches. I've seen a few guys claiming they can run some games stable at 13 MHz but that's not my personal experience.

Huh, I thought 10MHz was the limit. I guess 12MHz makes more sense though, it'd get closer to the VDP's clock speed for 320px pixels.

Wildside Expert

Test post

Attachment 13603

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Your test failed.
    To get Attachments to work, open "Go Advance" click attachments (paper clip) or Manage Attachments below message body window in the Additional Options section. In new popup window pick from already uploaded or click "Add Files" check box lower right of item or "Drag previously uploaded files into this area to attach them." click "Insert Inline" than click "done". Than preview changes fist to see if all went well.
    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 11-06-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Wildside Expert

Thanks

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    REV01 has tighter steering control making it more difficult to drift off-course.

Also REV00 has the fake Marlboro logo from Super Monaco GP, this was changed in REV01
    Well, I have the REV00 version then, I was just playing it and noticed the Marobare or whatever logos. I never took note of frame rate skips, I guess I'm just used to it. This is one of my favorite Sega Genesis games! One of the things I loved about Shenmue was the coin-op-perfect Hang On game, I played it endlessly back in 2000 or 2001. I remember playing coin-op Super Hang On at Aladdin's Castle in the 80's, but when I go to arcade shows now, all I see is Hang On (no turbo button).
    Last edited by Cafeman; 10-29-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    My tests with real hardware (Model 1 VA5 and VA6) indicate that past 12 MHz things get shaky; lots of games freeze or show glitches. I've seen a few guys claiming they can run some games stable at 13 MHz but that's not my personal experience.
    I have been able to run SHO overclocked using the clock signal that was left on the board itself but the sound breaks up.

I also found that cooling the vdp helped a lot the stability but it's far from perfect, so I usually keep things at 10 Mhz max.

Wildside Expert

So I read this:

Attachment 14445

But what is the real influence of passwords in the bike's behaviour?

I usually play arcade mode using the 'Ultimate Bike Password' as found here:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/genesi...hang-on/cheats

I was under the impression this would give you the best possible controls over the bike regardless of rom being REV00 or REV01.

Can anyone confirm this?

Wildside Expert

Well guys, today I received a reprocart I ordered so I could do a little experiment with SHO.

So I took SHO REV00 rom and applied the color correction patch by Pyron.
    Next I applied the 'speed up' GameGenie codes by Tony H.
    I was having trouble running the GameGenie cart with the SHO game cart on top on my overclocked Megadrive system, which I know is working really well when the game cart is the only one inserted.
    Following a lead I was given on another thread, I managed to change the rom with the GGcodes so that the 'speed up' effects are now permanent and do not require the GameGenie cart anymore.

I asked for a cart with this custom-rom and put it in the overclocked MD system...

WOW!

The game now runs much better and the driving experience is much more satisfaying!

I think this one should have a name, so I called it SHO-TGAE (Turbo Genesis Arcade Edition).

So, for anyone out there that may wish to try this one on their overclocked systems I put the rom in the link.

Have fun!

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...27144754931013

Note: there is a noticeable bug during demo mode but the game seems to run fine.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

I'm not sure I have understood what the game genie codes are for, but it looks promising! I'll be sure to take a look as soon as I can and report back
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Tor Landeel View Post
    I'm not sure I have understood what the game genie codes are for, but it looks promising! I'll be sure to take a look as soon as I can and report back
    The game genie codes allow the bike to accelerate twice as fast and when you press 'nitro' top speed increases to constant 390km.

I put the codes in the rom so that now the game genie is no longer needed. On the other hand, the game genie was making my overclocked MD crash, but since it is no longer necessary it is now possible to play the game with effects at higher clock speeds.

These effects are already perceptible on a stock MD but when you play with overclocking it gets really good.

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

I have 3 versions of Super Hang on

Mega Games 1
    Japanese Version
    US Version

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Aleste's Avatar

is rev.00 contained in the 6 pak cartridge?

Thread Information