Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone have the genesis flashback HD?

Genesis STILL does! Outrunner runback22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Azaroth,
    I wasn't aware that the games ran choppy. Before you return the item back for a refund, you should post a video citing your concerns and overall opinion of the device. In this way, anyone considering purchasing this item can make a well informed decision.
    Not every game is choppy but most were. Obviously its more noticeable in faster games like sonic, but I could also tell in games like Phantasy Star IV. Other games ran the way they should. The games that were choppy were running around 45-50 fps, instead of the 60 they should be at. Again, its not every game, but many were like this.

[/url]

Having gotten out of Genesis collecting a number of years back (and relying on emulation or compilations for the occasional Genesis fix), I decided to pick up a Flashback HD. The mixed reviews are deserved. It's not awful, but it's not good either. It was very borderline. The emulation was okay for the most part, but nothing on this console excelled. The sound, while better than other ATGames offerings (from what I've heard in videos) is better, but still a little off.

The deal breaker was Sonic 2. The sound had serious issues. It lagged behind the game when the emulation couldn't seem to keep up with both the graphics (which were already choppy) and the sound. Sonic 2 was broken. I could have lived with perhaps another game being broken, but Sonic 2? After I found this flaw, it went back in the box, and back to the store.
    "If you thought 16-bit was dead, think again."

SEGA Master Nameless One madperry's Avatar

I was going to do a full review on this, but, I think I would be beating a dead horse. I tried to return mine to gamestop, but they would only offer another in exchange. I will keep it in hopes that there is a good hack for it developed.

My issues are the audio lag and poor framerate. It is completely unacceptable that the flagship games like Sonic 1 & 2 run so poorly.

I do think the console looks nice and comes in an attractive box. The controllers work just fine, though they are not as high quality as originals. Game selection is mostly good, and the cartridge port is a plus.

For now, Ill continue to use my original console and everdrive.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

No more, at this point never bother with Atgames products. The fact that Sega partnered with Retro-bit, maybe now we can finally see some actually quality products.

FUCK. ATGAMES.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

SEGA Mega Drive Flashback HD is finally hacked to the max. check it out!!

For great justice! Road Rasher Tor Landeel's Avatar

Not bad, if found with a high discount I would now consider the purchase.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

I KNEW someone would pull this off, my temptation in getting one is back but like Tor, only for the right price.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

SEGA Master Nameless One madperry's Avatar

They must be using a different emulator. Would love details. Looking forward to modding mine.

So I was able to come across this system for cheap thankfully and after some testing, what I can say is.

-The menu is awful
    -The sound is finally tolerable
    -The games play stutterly/choppy, feels like I'm getting 20FPS on Sonic
    -The controllers actually feel pretty good, but there is noticeable input delay on the games. You don't have this issue by plugging your regular controllers in.
    -Design is nice and doesn't feel as cheap as I thought.

Overall, it's not as bad as I thought but there is room for way more improvement and eventually it will be possible.

For now I will wait till someone releases an easy to apply firmware for this but as of now, I'll put it away.
    I did 2 small things on it. I replaced the red LED with a blue one of course and used electrical tape to hide the Atgames logo.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    I did 2 small things on it. I replaced the red LED with a blue one of course and used electrical tape to hide the Atgames logo.
    Be careful with electrical tape. the adhesive can sometimes damage the surface it's on. Over time it can harden and at that point trying to remove it can damage the surface.

If your aim is to remove the AtGames logo permanently, try using rubbing alcohol.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Wildside Expert

hide atgames logo with tape? Best mod since the original xbox hack. Genius!!!

Haha. I love that you are putting tape over the atgames logo. It's like object permanence, if you can't see it it isn't really there and you don't have to feel terrible about it.

I have heard that the late 2018 versions of this and the Atari will have significant (internal redesign), and perhaps even SD input. We shall see.

Thread Information