Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I reviewed Golvellius: Valley of Doom

Default I reviewed Golvellius: Valley of Doom

Hi everyone,

This week I reviewed Golvellius: Valley of Doom for the Sega Master System. Launched in 1988, this was Sega's first attempt at creating a Legend of Zelda Clone.

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy the video:

Please check out my YouTube channel

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

For some reason, I cannot bring myself to play it, even though I have the original cartridge. Also I cannot be assed to buy the FM sound board for the Master System, or re-do the failed s-video mod I assembled about 12 years ago.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    For some reason, I cannot bring myself to play it, even though I have the original cartridge. Also I cannot be assed to buy the FM sound board for the Master System, or re-do the failed s-video mod I assembled about 12 years ago.

Isn't there a recent Genesis adapter that plays master system games with FM audio? I think ImplantGames uses that for his reviews. It might be a better alternative.

As for the game, I'd recommend spending a weekend with it at least. I think it's worth it

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I haven't seen the video yet, but Golvellius isn't a Sega game or a Zelda clone.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I haven't seen the video yet, but Golvellius isn't a Sega game or a Zelda clone.
    I know it was made by Compile and I reference it in the video. Perhaps I should have said, the master system's first attempt at a zelda game.

And I have to disagree, Golvellius is clearly inspired by the Legend of Zelda imo. Sure, it emphasizes combat over puzzles, but the Zelda influence is clearly there.

I would say Phantasy Star was Sega's Zelda, except it's better.

Quote Originally Posted by stika View Post
    I know it was made by Compile and I reference it in the video. Perhaps I should have said, the master system's first attempt at a zelda game.

And I have to disagree, Golvellius is clearly inspired by the Legend of Zelda imo. Sure, it emphasizes combat over puzzles, but the Zelda influence is clearly there.
    BT is trying to say for you is that Golvellius is a MSX game reprogrammed.
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Don´t let Wii die!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I would say Phantasy Star was Sega's Zelda, except it's better.
    I think those are in completely different genres. One is an action-adventure and the other is an RPG. It's a bit like comparing apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by segarule View Post
    BT is trying to say for you is that Golvellius is a MSX game reprogrammed.
    I think it still counts as 'sega' game though :P

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    why not use rgb?

Banned by Administrators

Game doesn't seem all that interesting from this review. Thought this was some SMS killer app.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Game doesn't seem all that interesting from this review. Thought this was some SMS killer app.
    I really like the game, but I do know that there are a lot of people who aren't a big fan. ^^

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

Nice review.

I also don't it's fair to call it a clone (that would be Golden Axe Warrior) but in the video you explain the differences well. Golvellius doesn't borrow much from Zelda that wasn't already part of the genre. Even the "going underground" parts seem more like Hydlide to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    These kind of games are always more interesting when you delve into them. Other 8-bit games in the genre probably don't look exciting from video footage either.

Banned by Administrators

Good point, NeoZeed.

Golvellius and Power Strike / Aleste are both games I love to play on an old MS-DOS Master System emulator, named 'Massage', that uses a YM2413->YM3812 wrapper written by Hiromitsu Shioya to play the OPL-L music. Those games tend to sound particularly good coming from an AdLib / SoundBlaster FM chip IMO.

I'll probably be the only one on this entire forum who likes to listen to Master System YM2413 music like this, but here's a partial rip of the way Massage renders Golvelius' YM2413 music. I ripped the songs that sounded particularly good with the wrapper - it uses a lot of, ahem, 'customized' instrument patches so the instrumentation tends to sound strange on certain songs. The tempo is a bit unstable as Massage was written for the AdLib chip, so it uses a weird and 'rather poor slowdown method' as its author James McKay decried it. It sounds better if you don't expect it to sound anything like a 'real' YM2413. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgg7el05hj...per%29.7z?dl=0

I'd be super-grateful if someone down the line brought back the Hiro-Shi instrument presets for a Master System emulator as an option - that's how I remember my Master System FM music sounding. XD
    Last edited by Eep386; 11-27-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eep386 View Post
    Golvellius and Power Strike / Aleste are both games I love to play on an old MS-DOS Master System emulator, named 'Massage', that uses a YM2413->YM3812 wrapper written by Hiromitsu Shioya to play the OPL-L music. Those games tend to sound particularly good coming from an AdLib / SoundBlaster FM chip IMO.

I'll probably be the only one on this entire forum who likes to listen to Master System YM2413 music like this, but here's a partial rip of the way Massage renders Golvelius' YM2413 music. I ripped the songs that sounded particularly good with the wrapper - it uses a lot of, ahem, 'customized' instrument patches so the instrumentation tends to sound strange on certain songs. The tempo is a bit unstable as Massage was written for the AdLib chip, so it uses a weird and 'not very good slowdown method' as its author James McKay decried it. It sounds better if you don't expect it to sound anything like a 'real' YM2413. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgg7el05hj...per%29.7z?dl=0

I'd be super-grateful if someone down the line brought back the Hiro-Shi instrument presets for a Master System emulator as an option - that's how I remember my Master System FM music sounding. XD
    How interesting. Some songs sound nearly identical to the Master System's FM audio, but others sound a lot more Genesis-y

Thread Information