Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Behind the Design: Phantasy Star

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Share please?

I love PSIII.
    I remember reading them bitd, but can't tell you which issues. I know one was in EGM and was 2 or 3 pages. I remember a member of the dev team being asked why they chose to do the unique things like generations and so many "planets".
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Congrats for the article Melf. It was a very pleasant read.

On the subject of female lead roles in games, and looking at the crappy tendency for waifu/hentai-type characters in games, I think that the importance of Alis ( of Ms. Kodama and the behind the game, obviously ), given the time frame of the release of PS, becomes even more substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeckidy View Post
    SEGA succeeded at usurping Square and Enix in nearly every way that mattered, and more. The first Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy were acceptable debuts for what would (for a time) become respectable franchises, but this one kills both of them, and yet never gained the kind of popularity of the others.

The smooth pace of combat, graphics, character designs, sound/music, variety of interactions (both first person and in the overworld), not to mention a vast universe to explore in an 8-bit nutshell... The story was also above and beyond its contemporaries.

While the class system of FF may be considered one of its merits over Phantasy Star, I would counter by saying that the characters in PS, each having individual abilities and styles, acts as its own sort of class system and in a much more balanced way than FF. Therefore, Phantasy Star could be said to be a stronger RPG series debut than the first DQ and FF.
    Yeah, that is what the Phantasy Star games exceed at: nailing the fundamentals for a great JRPG experience at an exceptionally high level. The first FF may have a more interesting game system, but PS have the upper hand where it counts. I think that FF became a worthy opponent for PS when the amazing FFIV was released ( I still maintain the opinion that both PSII and FFIV are the essentials 16-bit JRPGs experiences ).
    Dragon Quest is a pioneer and deserves a lot of respect for that, but I find it very uninteresting ( and Toriyama's artwork doesn't do any favors for me as well ), even its more recent iterations. Also, the timing of its release coupled with the absurd popularity of the Famicom, certainly helped to elevate it status.
    Last edited by Bottino; 12-16-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    On the subject of female lead roles in games, and looking at the crappy tendency for waifu/hentai-type characters in games, I think that the importance of Alis ( of Ms. Kodama and the behind the game, obviously ), given the time frame of the release of PS, becomes even more substantial.
    It's interesting that Kodama went on to direct Magic Knight Rayearth on the Saturn which, you guessed it, stars three 14-year-old high school girls.

The red one's waist is as thin as a sharpie lol

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Gryson's Avatar

Magic Knight Rayearth is a shojo manga directed towards young girls, so despite what you might associate with the art style, it's definitely not "waifu/hentai".

I'm just pointing out that the same person worked on both.

Good point. I guess my assumptions jumped the gun.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Gryson's Avatar

Magic Knight Rayearth, in particular, would probably be associated with empowerment of young girls and so in-line with Rieko Kodama's beliefs. It was originally written by Clamp, a team of all-female artists who have a bunch of other really famous titles under their belt and are known for pushing boundaries of gender/sexuality in their works.

Thread Information