Quantcast

Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Xeno Crisis - new overhead run 'n' gun on Kickstarter

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert BitmapBureau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    I have some feedback/suggestions etc.

About the cutscenes: they really look great to me! No need to change to a Japanese manga style with more colours. This current style feels original and fresh, and the special shading/lighting fits very well with the alien theme (it reminds me of the movie franchise of that name). The only thing which needs to be considered is to make sure the art style is consistent with the rest of the artwork (sprites, boxart etc.)

About the levels: I really hope each new level gives something fresh. Not just graphics and enemies, but also some fresh gameplay elements. It can be something very simple such as slow/damage floors or traps in the walls which get triggered when you get near them etc. Anything which helps the game feel new on each level and not repetitive.

Also: don't forget to have a soundtest in the options!!!
    Thanks Zebbe! Glad you like the look of the cutscene art - I think Catherine Menabde (https://twitter.com/_einzbern) has done a great job of interpreting Henk Nieborg's 32x32 marine sprite into full-screen poses. And yes, we're being careful to make sure that the art style is as consistent as it can be - we've had offers from several great artists to work with us on the project, but we had to turn them down purely for the sake of consistency.

Regarding level / gameplay design, we're aiming to introduce new elements, enemies and traps each area to keep things interesting. As amazing as Smash TV is, I remember it getting a bit stale after a while which is something we want to avoid, and I think the same could be said of Zombies Ate My Neighbours - I loved that game but it felt like a real slog getting to the end! So I want to make sure that I'm entertained / challenged from the first minute to the last, even if I know vaguely what's coming up - luckily the procedural map and room generation will ensure that every game is different.

I think the same can be said of the environments themselves too - we only revealed two (fairly obvious) areas which shouldn't really give much away, but for the other 3 (potentially 4 with the next stretch goal), we have some surprises in store, and Henk is going for something quite different. If you have any suggestions for enemies and traps do let us know though - we're always keen to hear from players interested in what we're doing, and you might just inspire us to come up with something new.

Will definitely be adding a sound test! I remember doing my home work at the age of 13 whilst having the Mega Drive on in the background blasting out Yuzo Koshiro's Super Shinobi!

Outrunner

I think the cutscenes look effing great. It’s not a Japanese-developed game so why pretend to be?

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by BitmapBureau View Post
    Will definitely be adding a sound test! I remember doing my home work at the age of 13 whilst having the Mega Drive on in the background blasting out Yuzo Koshiro's Super Shinobi!
    Think about adding a Jukebox! I always loved that on Tyrian

I can't really understand why my simple inquire was ignored twice by whoever is in charge of that account, while every other member here got replied.

Oh well. Good luck to the ones involved in making this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    I can't really understand why my simple inquire was ignored twice by whoever is in charge of that account, while every other member here got replied.

Don't take it personally dude, it was probably just overlooked accidentally. I doubt anyone did it intentionally to annoy you.

Just so that no one has to go looking for your previous post:

Wow, this is a very pleasant surprise.

Since Shock Troopers is an inspiration ( bless that game ), are there any plans regarding the implementation of a melee attack like in that game, creating the good ole' risk vs. reward situation? Or perhaps something like we've seen in Takumi's Cannon Spike?
    Good question, I imagine that your man from BitmapBureau is busy, but maybe if he has time to answer the question he will.

Hey Bottino - that's weird - I definitely remember replying to your question as I'd been thinking the same thing! Perhaps my connection screwed up or it just got lost in cyberspace somewhere. Anyway, to answer your question again, yes I would love to add a melee attack to the game...and now I think I remember what happened! Crap, yes I remember writing the reply and then having to upload some sketches to imgur so that I could post them here...perhaps I didn't post the reply after all? Posting images here is so awkward.

Ok, so yes, a melee attack would make a lot of sense and could function better than our current situation when you run out of ammo, whereupon you can only fire intermittently. That would mean quite a few extra frames for both the male and female marine, so we'd need to see what impact that would have on the game. It worked great in Shock Troopers though, and I see no reason why it wouldn't also work great in Xeno Crisis. And funnily enough, our artist Catherine also pictured the marine having a knife (with no prompting from us), as these sketches show:

Consider it added somewhere near the top of the feature wishlist.

BitmapBureau: Thanks for the thorough reply! I have a great feeling this game will turn out just great. Some traps/obstacles can be: something falling from the ceiling, pits, conveyer belts, moving platforms, door guarded by lasers, mines, aliens which merge with the corpses of dead aliens to grow bigger etc.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    Think about adding a Jukebox! I always loved that on Tyrian
    Would be nice to do something cool with the soundtest screen - I'd not seen Tyrian's before. Will have to see how the core development goes, but if there's time, space and budget left over then jazzing up the soundtest screen is something we'd like to do.

Master of Shinobi

is there a target MEGA POWER you are aiming at this point or will it just probably be a maximum sized 32 meg cart ?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    is there a target MEGA POWER you are aiming at this point or will it just probably be a maximum sized 32 meg cart ?
    Yeah we're not looking to create the biggest Mega Drive game ever by filling it with loads of samples and superfluous art - we come from a mobile development background back when you had to fit an entire game into 64kb or sometimes less, so we pride ourselves on our efficiency, which is important when creating a Mega Drive game of course. I think the limit we're looking at is 32 mega bits, which should be more than enough to fit the game into.

BitmapBureau, will the Dreamcast version be enhanced over the Genesis release?

Master of Shinobi

Well if the game ends up being 8 meg due to coding and compressing efficiency, I want my 24 meg FMV intro !

There, another stretch goal
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    BitmapBureau: Thanks for the thorough reply! I have a great feeling this game will turn out just great. Some traps/obstacles can be: something falling from the ceiling, pits, conveyer belts, moving platforms, door guarded by lasers, mines, aliens which merge with the corpses of dead aliens to grow bigger etc.
    Cheers Zebbe, I've noted those down - we'll certainly have enemies that drop from the ceiling, and mines, and I like some of the other ideas too!

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    BitmapBureau, will the Dreamcast version be enhanced over the Genesis release?
    I think we have to be careful not to get too carried away, especially with this being our first proper Dreamcast release and Genesis for that matter. We certainly won't just be emulating the Genesis version though - it'll be coded from scratch, so a genuine Dreamcast port. Henk and Catherine's pixel art is so good too that redoing it at 640x480 seems superfluous, so we're looking to double-scale the game (much like Street Fighter III) and draw an extra few tiles vertically to fill the screen.

The one main difference though will be the controls, since the standard Dreamcast controller lends itself nicely to twin-stick shooters, although the Genesis will also have similar control options for 6-button setups.

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Well if the game ends up being 8 meg due to coding and compressing efficiency, I want my 24 meg FMV intro !

There, another stretch goal
    Noted!

Thread Information