Quantcast

Thread: Sega Nomad - Sega Master System compatibility mod

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Sega Nomad - Sega Master System compatibility mod

It's crazy that I'm still finding mods for this little bastard. I actually knew about this mod for a while now but held off on it for the longest time because of the very tight spaced pin you had to solder to. Also, I don't own anything Master system related, I couldn't even try this out myself to begin with. Happy to say I found a few things that can make this mod more doable with less stress in mind. That and I recently learned my chinese Everdrive can play Master system games right off the cart. :P

Special thanks to Ryux from chipmod for being probably the only one for a while to have shared this mod, using only 2 pictures, lol.
    http://chipmod.blogspot.com/2012/12/...n-mod-lcd.html

Anywho, let's get started.

Requirements:

-Long, Phillips head screwdriver
    -The Nomad exclusive, 4.5mm security screw removal tool bit
    -Soldering Iron
    -Solder
    -Hot glue
    -Rosin Soldering Flux (optional)
    -wire, for this mod. Get 30 AWG Remington Magnet Wire, Enameled Copper Wire, link below.
    https://www.amazon.com/Remington-Ind.../dp/B0082CUQEI

So first open up the system facing down and remove the screws with their specific tools.

We are going to work with the back side of the Nomad so remove the ribbon cable.

Next remove all screws circled in green to remove the cartridge door off, followed by the metal plate and remove then 2 screws holding the 2nd controller port that are circled in orange.

Now before you lift up the board, you might feel like there's something preventing you from lifting the board and that is the controller port. So with your hand, carefully push away on the top plastic with your thumb while also pushing inside the controller port with your index finger.

Once you got the entire board out, located the SEGA 315-3700, the biggest chip from the back side of the Nomad.

Here's a diagram of where you'll be soldering a wire to and the overall mod.

Now locate pin 45 of the chip, it's right next to a white circle, which is between 2 holes in the bottom left corner.

Hard time seeing it? Here.

Now to make soldering for this MUCH less stressful, simply cover a side with masking tape.

Let us take our 30 AWG wire, this is very thin wire, which really is recommend for this tight spot. Dip a bit of soldering flux to the tip and with a steady hand, begin soldering it to pin 45.
    Hopefully, the surgery was a success for you as it has been for me.

Once you know the wire really is soldered to pin 45, by giving it a little tug. Quickly hot glue the spot.

Now this next part is another reason why I held off this mod for a while but keep reading. From Ryux 2nd picture, you have to solder the other end of the wire to the leg behind the 3rd leg from the left of the cartridge slot.
    I personally don't know how he crammed his soldering iron back there but here's an easier method.

Flip the board and solder the wire to bottom spot of that leg instead.

Again, once you know the cable really is soldered to the solder spot. Hot glue it.

Close the system back up and your done!

For more of my Sega Nomad tutorials, visit the following link below.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...014#post767014
    Last edited by Thunderblaze16; 12-17-2017 at 09:19 AM.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Nice tutorial. Better keep those pictures on a good image host so they don't get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Helder View Post
    Nice tutorial. Better keep those pictures on a good image host so they don't get lost.
    Yep, currently migrated to Imgur now, but all the pics of every mod are save to my pc and 3 usb drives.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Recently performed this mod, but for some reason when I try to run the ROMs on my mega everdrive, the system resets and I'm back to the everdrive menu. Works fine on an MD2. Any ideas? I'm contemplating a cap kit, but seems like a bit of a hail mary.

I recently had to pop mine open, turns out the dc input had a cracked solder joint. I did a mod to add a second controller port for team player adapter compatibility. My new led is a bit hairy so I may get a replacement. So the mod is as simple as running a thin wire, I will give this a try.

Fluxcore, have you tested your new wire with a multimeter to see if the connection is good? And to make sure itís not touching any other pins on the ICís? Closing up the shell of the nomad makes wires from mods very susceptible to being pinched.

I will also see how the nomad reacts to a sms game pre mod and confirm if I get a reset as is.

Quote Originally Posted by ironnick23 View Post
    Fluxcore, have you tested your new wire with a multimeter to see if the connection is good? And to make sure itís not touching any other pins on the ICís? Closing up the shell of the nomad makes wires from mods very susceptible to being pinched.

I will also see how the nomad reacts to a sms game pre mod and confirm if I get a reset as is.

Yeah, definitely checked continuity and lack of bridging to other pins. I haven't put the nomad back together 'properly' either, so there shouldn't be any pinching.

Keen to hear about your results.

My nomad doesn't reset on loading a sms game, but the screen occassionally will shut off and back on as if it did reset after loading. I am unable to use the everdrive (x5) again until I turn on the nomad without the everdrive in and then retry booting the cart. So essentially I am not having your issue without having done the mod. No rebooting to menu. I conclude that your mod is doing something lol just not what you intend- have you tried a Genesis game on the nomad to see if it also resets?

The next step would be to confirm you have the wire connected to the proper pins, which I assume you did, and confirm you have the same vdp as the one in the pictures above. Are you using a thin wire? I do know thin is good for high frequency signals, and thicker gauge is better for voltage and ground connections. Beyond that the only thing I can think of is maybe put your Nomad back together and test it that way. Reason I say this is I had a short on a DC in trace, and even though I fixed it the thing wouldn't turn on until I put it back together. I believe the battery pins on the PCB must have been shorting on the rf shielding.

Currently I have an issue with diagonal wavy lines that appear to change when tapping the AV out with my finger, so I will have to reopen mine anyway and continue to fix some cold solder joints. While I am at it, I will do the sms mod and see if I can replicate your issue.

Hrm, I think there must be something faulty with my nomad in regards to the SMS functionality then. I took the wire away and it still reset when trying to run any SMS ROM, re-did the mod and still the same issue. Not super keen to have to try and learn how the SMS support works on a nomad, sigh...

Edit: after trying some more games, I think it's actually an error during some graphics mode or cpu call. I can successfully load Zillion right up into the intro screen, hear the music etc, but as soon as it tries to play any of the game it crashes and resets. Some games reset instantly. I can see a brief shot of Alex Kidd in Miracle World's title screen before it resets.
    Last edited by fluxcore; 07-19-2018 at 06:00 AM.

Try and upload some pics. Could it be at all possible your 315-5700 chip is in a different orientation than in the pic? Iím not too sure there are multiple revisions of the nomad but if the chip is rotated then you would essentially have to connect to the proper pin which would not match the pics above. Alternatively try a different wire. Are you using authentic sms games or a flashcart?

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Thunderblaze16 again.

for real, top notch work here!

Quote Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
    Recently performed this mod, but for some reason when I try to run the ROMs on my mega everdrive, the system resets and I'm back to the everdrive menu. Works fine on an MD2. Any ideas? I'm contemplating a cap kit, but seems like a bit of a hail mary.
    Just for the heads up, when successfully soldering the thin cable to both spots. Make sure the cable going to the back of the board is placed in a manner where the shield plate doesn't press on it.

Doing so may make the Nomad just get a black screen or the sms not working at all. Be also sure you did not accidentally bridge any of the pins on the chip itself when soldering the wire. That's just hell.

That's why I make sure the thin cable isn't touching any other solder spots and place electrical tape over it.

I managed to borrow an sms->md converter and that works perfectly with the modded nomad, so it must be an issue with the mega everdrive... a shame that it's not supported by krikzz anymore :/

Thread Information