Quantcast

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Saturn RPGs

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

apparently suikoden 2 is a ton better. I only like the general recruiting and amassing a great army and castle, because it reminds me of strategy rpg's like shining force (3) but everything else is boring me. you literally do the same thing every time. go to a town, encounter a problem, go in a dungeon, beat everything a final war battle against a general. solved the problem and to to the next zone and do the exact same thing. and as far as I played the storyline was very bland and I didn't care for anything. the mere opposite to good games like shining force 3 or shining the holy ark, that I also played recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I think you haven't played Dragon Force much: there is a heavy story, along with reams of text; It's a far more story-driven than Popful Mail that's for sure.
    No he's right, Dragon Force's story isn't that heavy compared to earlier RPGs of the time which were way more text heavy. It's got a good story and great gameplay but it's not a ton of translation work compared to other RPGs at the time.
    05/05/15

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    No he's right, Dragon Force's story isn't that heavy compared to earlier RPGs of the time which were way more text heavy. It's got a good story and great gameplay but it's not a ton of translation work compared to other RPGs at the time.
    You are just saying that. It has a much bigger and deeper story than Popful Mail and also Shining Wisdom and tons more text too than those games or even Vay, Yet no issues, Albert Oddesy is a text-heavy RPG too so what balls up did Working Designs do with that and Iron Storm and Dragon Force and anyone who's played Dragon Force would know its a massive translation job, the team even joked they put more text in that what the Sakura Wars Team were doing with their game. Dragon Force had more text than most JRPGs and was massive for a tactical RPG. 8 different storylines for the main characters, with each one having some 60,000 lines of text for that character. For battles, there are 20 contexts sensitive, messages per character and there are over 170 characters or a total of over 3,4000 battle only messages, add in pre-battle taunts, story text. Have you people even played Dragon Force? Its a monster of a text game, 2 CDs and where little of the CD is used on Voice acting, FMV and where all the music comes off the soundchip.

WD not only did a great job with the translation, they improved it over the Japanese version too.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Switch

You are just saying that.
    Yeah well, It's the truth. If we want to compare it to say Dragon Quest VII then you'd get the idea.

Dragon Force has a decent amount of text but compared to this..

https://twitter.com/juhopenttila/sta...19024518930432

Yeah sorry no. Dragon Force would maybe fill up about 2/10ths of that shelf.
    05/05/15

Yeah well, It's the truth. If we want to compare it to say Dragon Quest VII then you'd get the idea.

Dragon Force has a decent amount of text but compared to this..

https://twitter.com/juhopenttila/sta...19024518930432

Yeah sorry no. Dragon Force would maybe fill up about 2/10ths of that shelf.
    Well if you feel the need to bring up a traditional JRPG to a tactical RPG, I mean fair enough, but That be like comparing Grandia to Dragon Force .. Iím not for that myself and look to compare it more to Final fantasy Tatics or Shining Force III. Dragon Force had a ton of text in it, itís quite overwhelming at 1st. WD did a great Job on the translation unless you can point to big changes they made to the text ?
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Well if you feel the need to bring up a traditional JRPG to a tactical RPG, I mean fair enough, but That be like comparing Grandia to Dragon Force .. Iím not for that myself and look to compare it more to Final fantasy Tatics or Shining Force III. Dragon Force had a ton of text in it, itís quite overwhelming at 1st. WD did a great Job on the translation unless you can point to big changes they made to the text ?
    Well like it was said buddy, Dragon Force's text isn't huge compared to some of the games which were ported over here to the states. I'm not saying in any way shape or form that Dragon Force is a bad game, In fact to me it's a must own title for the Saturn. I just don't think Working Designs had that much work compared to the localizing team that handle Dragon Quest VII. That was a game with a huge amount of text I would have been scared to work on bringing it to the U.S. .
    05/05/15

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

BTW Grandia (the first one) inspired a game by the Korean company Sonnori called Arcturus: The Curse and Loss of Divinity. The overworlds and battles are modeled after Grandia.
    "You do not see the world as it is, you see the world as you are."

Well like it was said buddy, Dragon Force's text isn't huge compared to some of the games which were ported over here to the states. I'm not saying in any way shape or form that Dragon Force is a bad game, In fact to me it's a must own title for the Saturn. I just don't think Working Designs had that much work compared to the localizing team that handle Dragon Quest VII. That was a game with a huge amount of text I would have been scared to work on bringing it to the U.S. .
    Please, I never said that at all. I said the text file was rather big for a Tatical RPG of the time (1996) and the text file size is bigger than that of the likes of Popful Mail, the 1st Lunar, Shining Wisdom, Vay games which people on here have brought up about WD mess ups, there's more text in Dragon Force than in Shining Force III too. So there was plenty of text and text to the story for WD to have messed up, that was the point.
    So what parts of Dragon Force text and the story did WD mess up compared to the Japanese original?.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Please, I never said that at all.
    Well I know you didn't but I did which is what we were talking about.
    05/05/15

Anyone got an idea how much Dragon Force goes for just the disc only? I don't intend on getting rid of it, but it was inside the Saturn I bought at a yard sale a few years ago.

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    oh god yes!!

I tried suikoden and got about 20 hours in but it just felt really boring. you recommend me to continue? it's a real drag so far.
    i mean, i adore it, but it's not a pretty game (none of the series really is), and it's a slow burn. do you recall what had gone down by the time you quit? cause there's some real emotional stuff at some points that i found compelling, and also dug the pokemon-like thing of building your castle by collecting all the other characters (the plot has a major change if you can get all 108). it's a fairly short game too.

2 is indeed tremendously better, and hits the ground running plot-wise, with what is to this date one of the nastiest villains ive seen in an RPG. ill say this though, there's more impact if you finished 1, as some characters return & that was a highlight for me.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    i mean, i adore it, but it's not a pretty game (none of the series really is), and it's a slow burn. do you recall what had gone down by the time you quit? cause there's some real emotional stuff at some points that i found compelling, and also dug the pokemon-like thing of building your castle by collecting all the other characters (the plot has a major change if you can get all 108). it's a fairly short game too.

2 is indeed tremendously better, and hits the ground running plot-wise, with what is to this date one of the nastiest villains ive seen in an RPG. ill say this though, there's more impact if you finished 1, as some characters return & that was a highlight for me.
    yes my father died and gave me his blessing to go on my own now. how far do you reckon I am?

Well I know you didn't but I did which is what we were talking about.
    Isn't that a way to get around we don't know. What parts of Dragon Force did WD mess up compared to the Japanese game?. How much text did they alter and insert their own take and jokes?
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    oh god yes!!

I tried suikoden and got about 20 hours in but it just felt really boring. you recommend me to continue? it's a real drag so far.
    Maybe my memory is off but at 20 hours you've got to be nearing the end of it. I think I beat it in like 15. But the first game is pretty short, especially compared to the second, which is a much improved game.
    556 552 557 279 725

Yeah, Suikoden is pretty short (I have a theory that game likely started life/development as a Super Famicom game and was transitioned to Playstation...in the same way Fable started life as a Dreamcast game and became an Xbox game).

I think my save game with all 108 stars isn't much past 25 hours.

Thread Information