Quantcast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Saturn RPGs

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorIng View Post
    I said the translation was something I was ok with. It's the game changes that are irksome because they are usually almost always to the game's detriment. These games are designed around certain parameters, and outside of the Telenet shit that WD started with on the PC Engine (stuff like Exile) which was broken to begin with, there was no need to appoint themselves master game designers because Vic and co. clearly weren't. There changes reek of amateur stupidity, if not outright hostility towards the source material.

Or Albert Odyssey which "compensated" for the lowering the random battle rate by tripling the health of the boring boss fights, making some of them last for over an hour of repeating the same tactic over and over again.

There's a reason why those Un-Worked Designs patches are so well-received, because they keep the thing that people more or less like (dated pop-culture jokes aside), and remove all the stupid shit Vic Ireland added to the games.
    It wasn't all bad. They improved loading times to and from battle in Albert a lot too, and I definitely appreciate the lowering of the encounter rate. And while I don't remember having any trouble with the length of the boss fights in it, they would seem to have learned their lesson there, since they did the opposite in Alundra.

On a side note, I'm not sure how many of these changes they actually made themselves. For those who don't know, I believe Vic mentioned somewhere (don't remember if it was in the translation notes or a forum post) that they would send a list of changes they wanted to the original developer, who would then implement them for them. They couldn't do this any number of times however, so testing how the desired changes worked out and then tweaking further would have been hard or impossible. This was the wall they ran into with Exile, where the tweaks broke something and accidentally made the game much harder than anticipated. But they'd used up their quota, so to speak, and so they had to ship it like that. I dunno if this was just in the earlier days though, maybe they had their own people doing this stuff later on.

As for Shining Wisdom, yeah, it was definitely disappointing. I do wonder though, how it would've turned out if they'd made it for MD or MCD or whatever they originally had in mind for it. Is there any information about that out there?

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lion View Post
    It wasn't all bad. They improved loading times to and from battle in Albert a lot too, and I definitely appreciate the lowering of the encounter rate. And while I don't remember having any trouble with the length of the boss fights in it, they would seem to have learned their lesson there, since they did the opposite in Alundra.

On a side note, I'm not sure how many of these changes they actually made themselves. For those who don't know, I believe Vic mentioned somewhere (don't remember if it was in the translation notes or a forum post) that they would send a list of changes they wanted to the original developer, who would then implement them for them. They couldn't do this any number of times however, so testing how the desired changes worked out and then tweaking further would have been hard or impossible. This was the wall they ran into with Exile, where the tweaks broke something and accidentally made the game much harder than anticipated.
    Yep, there is always that when you are handling someone else game, you have to have all changes approved. WD made some nice changes like 30% reduction in Combat, better loading times and simple stuff like using the L and R buttons on the menus. Its a shame some of their bigger plans like turning off spell animations, dying animations to speed up battles ever more, along with a host of other nice chnages were taken out at the last min. I also thought their Dragon Force and Iron Storm Saturn ports were brilliant too. Such a shame Bernie was such a dick head with the Saturn and upset one of SOA better 3rd party outfits for bringing games over from Japan, that most including SOA didn't touch.

Who knows without Bernie silly E3 actions with WD, we might have had Grandia and Sukura Wars brought over to the West on the Saturn, to join the games WD already agreed the rights too, like with Battle Garrega, Thunder Force V, Lunar 1 and II and Sokuy... Thanks for nothing Bernie!!!
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Clinton jokes?

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Clinton jokes?
    What the big fuss over that, when the Japanese version not doubt have references that only the Japanese would understand or appreciate for village talk. The main story, the main cast are all intact.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information