Quantcast

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturn RPGs

Default Saturn RPGs

The Genesis (and Master System) had no shortage of fantastic RPGs, often developed by Sega themselves (Phantasy Star). Neither did the Dreamcast.

So what happened with the Saturn? It seems like most of the RPGs released for the system were developed by 3rd parties and translated by Working Designs. Where was the Saturn's Phantasy Star?

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    The Genesis (and Master System) had no shortage of fantastic RPGs, often developed by Sega themselves (Phantasy Star). Neither did the Dreamcast.

So what happened with the Saturn? It seems like most of the RPGs released for the system were developed by 3rd parties and translated by Working Designs. Where was the Saturn's Phantasy Star?
    The Saturn had loads of RPG's from SEGA, sadly most never made into the USA or were ever translated. SEGA gave the Saturn The Shining Force trilogy, the Sakura Wars series, Shining Wisdom, Shining inthe Holy Ark, Dark Saviour, Blue Seed, Magic KnightRay Earth, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dragon Force series, WachenRoder to name by a few developed or published by SEGA. Never mind the stack loads of ones from 3rd parties.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

You got Shining Wisdom, Shining Force III and Shining: The Hoky Ark instead of Phantasy Star.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

32-bit RPGs don't get better that Tengai Makyou The Apocalypse 4.

What are all of these SMS RPGs I've never heard of? Doesn't the Saturn have like tens times more and the Dreamcast many more as well?

Eldorado Gate is 7 cool RPGs for Dreamcast, which alone should outnumber SMS unless there really are a bunch of unheard RPGs out there.

I think that you have to be pretty flexible with the definition of RPG to say that the SMS has more than 3 or 4 and even then you barely reach a dozen adventure, point 'n click, misc hybrid games. That flexibily woykd qualify dozens of Saturn games like:

Dragon Slayer
    Ys
    Ys II
    Xanadu
    Temple Del Sol Aztec II
    Phantasy Star 1 - 4
    Langrisser 1 - 4
    Shining Force III sc 1 - 3 + P
    Shining Holy Ark
    Shining Wusdom
    Riglord Saga 1, 2
    Blue Breaker
    Sky Adventure
    Lunar SSS, EB and MS
    Grandia and DM
    Albert Odyssey
    Blue Seed 9
    Panzer Dragoon Azel
    Magic Kbight Rayearth
    Warcraft II
    AD&D Collection
    Guarduan Heroes
    Ogre Battle
    Tactics Ogre
    Megai Tensei DS and SH
    Endless "digital adventure" games
    Super Hydlide
    Dark Saviour
    Story of Thor
    Blazing Dragons
    Black Matrix
    Wachenrider
    Princess Crown
    Samurai Spirits RPG
    SotN
    Vandal Hearts
    Suikoden
    Farland Saga...
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Looks like I was very wrong, and Iíve never been happier to be!

Should I start with Shining?

Banned by Administrators

Well the Shining games are the best, so if you start with that the others will be more of a let down. From personal experience PDS was a massive let down after four main Saturn Shining games. Watchenroder was pretty 'meh' too.

Half of those RPGs do me no good, because of the language barrier. And don't waste your time with Virtual Hydlide, it was horrible. The list is also missing the awesome Dragon Force games, as well as Dark Savior.

There is a fan translation of Policenauts that I need to burn a copy of. I really liked playing Snatcher back in the day.
    Last edited by gamevet; 12-14-2017 at 03:18 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Banned by Administrators

Scenario 2 & 3 of Shining Force have nice translation patches, and for Watchenroder I used a GameFAQs translation text file.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Half of those RPGs do me no good, because of the language barrier. And don't waste your time with Virtual Hydlide, it was horrible. The list is also missing the awesome Dragon Force games, as well as Dark Savior.

There is a fan translation of Policenauts that I need to burn a copy of. I really liked playing Snatcher back in the day.
    Half of the Mega Drive/Mega-CD RPGs won't do you any good either.

There are still a lot of RPG'ish games released in English for Saturn and Dreamcast.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Looks like I was very wrong, and Iíve never been happier to be!

Should I start with Shining?
    No Start with Panzer Dragoon Saga or the likes of Dark Savour. Shining In the Holy Ark is awesome though and while it's not from SEGA Albert Odyssey is an amazing RPG with one of the best music scores around and most of it comes off the sound chip (for people who like that sort of stuff)

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Has anyone played Mystaria/Blazing Heroes? That's one I've been interested in playing for a while.

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BubsyFan1 View Post
    Has anyone played Mystaria/Blazing Heroes? That's one I've been interested in playing for a while.
    Yeah, it's decent. It's not as good or polished as SF III, but it's a pretty decent strategy RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by BubsyFan1 View Post
    I loved it, though the one thing that bothered me is that you couldn't save a game during a battle, and some of those could last nearly an hour.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

not a single sega console has the amount of sega rpg's released on it like the saturn and on top of that almost all of them are 8/10 at least. below 8/10 or higher games from sega only:

dragon force
    dragon force 2
    virus (japanese only)
    shining force 3 scenario 1
    shining force 3 scenario 2
    shining force 3 scenario 3
    shining the holy ark
    panzer dragoon saga
    story of thor 2
    magic knight rayearth
    dark savior
    mystaria

I have tried some of these RPGs, and they are all fantastic technically.

This is nitpicky, but I'll ask anyway. I really enjoyed all four Phantasy Stars. Describing what I liked about them is difficult. It's the serious atmosphere, the blending of science fiction and surrealism, the music, the tone, and the art style. Few people would say Phantasy Star is light-hearted. It's been a long time since I got as into an RPG as I did with the four Phantasy Stars. Maybe Yakuza...

The Saturn RPGs certainly look and sound great. However for example, Magic Knight Rayearth doesn't have the same type of tone. I picked MKR because it was directed by the same person who directed the first Phantasy Star. While good, MKR is undeniably different in tone.

I also tried finding the scenario writer from the original Phantasy Stars, but he doesn't have any writing credits since the Genesis (Ossale Kohta).

It seems like all the Saturn RPGs mentioned are either quirky fun like MKR or medieval fantasy like Shining or Albert Odyssey.

Can anyone recommend anything based on what I've said, Saturn or otherwise? I will play it before I comment.

Phantasy Star Saga stands as the only example out of the ordinary I have yet to try.
    Last edited by Blades; 12-17-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Thread Information