Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 74 of 74

Thread: Saturn RPGs

  1. #61
    Super Flail Master.~ BonusKun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,045
    Rep Power
    39

    Genesis

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    But the main story and cast of characters is there, Villiage talk is all a bit meaningless.
    You realize that's a 100% bullshit excuse right?

    You interact with NPCs that are part of the game. Changing shit up into stupid drivel about present politics kills the mood of the game overall. The NPCs in that world are meant to pull you into the world to interact and understand where you are and who the people are that live there. WD's constant breaking the fucking 4th wall kills that.
    05/05/15

  2. #62
    Banana Fart Realism Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner SegataS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    My Chair
    Posts
    744
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Sorry...
    Twitter Segata


    Life!?...What console is that on?

  3. #63
    Super Flail Master.~ BonusKun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,045
    Rep Power
    39

    Genesis

    Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Sorry...
    Stupid video & it still doesn't change the point that interaction is still part of an RPG. Of course it's much more fleshed out in this current day and age but back then getting an RPG with a good story helped you progress in the game. Dragon Force while a very good game had some of the stupidest comments from characters. One I recall was a Vampire Lord who joined up with your army. When having him build and fortify a castle he makes the comment "Playing with Legos really paid off!"

    *facepalm.
    05/05/15

  4. #64
    Banana Fart Realism Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner SegataS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    My Chair
    Posts
    744
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Don't think I ever played a working design game tbh. I just know their games go for high prices. I never felt NPCs in JRPGs added much of anything. They may as well say nothing at all and I would not feel any different. Like a GTA NPC. Sounds like WD was trying to be cute and didn't work that well. Couldn't care less if they all said shit fuck cunt fart. NPC's dialogue never ads anything for me on thoseolder RPGs. I like what Octopath Traveler does with them. Making them useful for a change. Can help level up your character and such.
    Twitter Segata


    Life!?...What console is that on?

  5. #65
    Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,480
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    You realize that's a 100% bullshit excuse right?

    You interact with NPCs that are part of the game. Changing shit up into stupid drivel about present politics kills the mood of the game overall. The NPCs in that world are meant to pull you into the world to interact and understand where you are and who the people are that live there. WD's constant breaking the fucking 4th wall kills that.
    No its a view and an opinion. In the Making of Lunar 1 and II. The games writers Studio Alex said they made a big effort with village speak as in most other RPGs, the talk was rather pointless and did nothing to the game and a lot of people skipped pass it. In most RPGs of that era, you didn't really need to talk the villagers and have small talk to process. WD did fantastic work on the Lunars series and I love their ports on the PS and Mega CD and to me their voice acting sometimes was better than in the Japanese originals esspeicaly on Quark for the 1st game or Zophar in the 2nd game.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  6. #66
    Super Flail Master.~ BonusKun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,045
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    No its a view and an opinion.
    No it's bullshit.
    05/05/15

  7. #67
    Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,480
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    No it's bullshit.
    Well, even the writers of Lunar, weren't that impressed with other RPGs small village talk and looked to change that with Lunar.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  8. #68
    Nameless One
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    I've been playing through Zelda III again these past few days, and I'm struck by how virtually every single NPC you talk to says something that's a hint in some way, or otherwise fill some function that's relevant to what's going on. It's never just useless padding, and none of them seem without function. That's how it should be done.

  9. #69
    Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Gryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    326
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lion View Post
    I've been playing through Zelda III again these past few days, and I'm struck by how virtually every single NPC you talk to says something that's a hint in some way, or otherwise fill some function that's relevant to what's going on. It's never just useless padding, and none of them seem without function. That's how it should be done.
    Reminds me of Phantasy Star. The villagers pretty much tell you where to go and what to do (although not always directly).

  10. #70
    Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,480
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Reminds me of Phantasy Star. The villagers pretty much tell you where to go and what to do (although not always directly).
    Yet Phanstar Star saw plenty of text changes, and even characters changed for the western versions, I gather over the years there’s been various fan translations, SEGA did the same with Dark Savoiur too with the prisoner dialogue made a little jollier and also silly things like cigarettes changed to chocolates . And most people I knew were able to finish the Japanese version of Zelda III on the Snes with out understanding a line of the text.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  11. #71
    Nameless One
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Yet Phanstar Star saw plenty of text changes, and even characters changed for the western versions, I gather over the years there’s been various fan translations, SEGA did the same with Dark Savoiur too with the prisoner dialogue made a little jollier and also silly things like cigarettes changed to chocolates .
    The chocolate in Dark Savior was different though, as that was clearly censorship rather than somebody taking liberties with the script.

  12. #72
    Formerly known as 5233 Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    2,055
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    I want to mention that Tengai Makyou IV on Saturn is also an excellent game. From what I played of it, the voice cast and story and everything is very well done and certainly worthy of getting a fan translation.

  13. #73
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    77
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeckidy View Post
    I want to mention that Tengai Makyou IV on Saturn is also an excellent game. From what I played of it, the voice cast and story and everything is very well done and certainly worthy of getting a fan translation.
    It's more likely that the (somewhat) censored PSP port will get a translation eventually, since Saturn is a pain to hack. I hope Tom gets there someday, since he really likes the TM series, and wants to do the PCE-CD ones first. I really enjoyed the Saturn version of this game, anyway - especially that it takes place in a completely bonkers version of the US, seen from the Japanese point of view. This means that lots of freedom talk, gun-toting, racism, and other popular stereotypes about the US are in there (and also, it's established very early on that Canada is a part of the ocean, and Alaska is an island, because of course).

    As to the 4th wall breaking... I can understand that if the game itself does that frequently. It makes sense then to carry that over. Otherwise, it mostly depends on the nature of said game. I can't really imagine that being done all the time in, say, Phantasy Star 4 or older Final Fantasies, but in Earthbound it's nothing strange.

  14. #74
    Nameless One
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeckidy View Post
    I want to mention that Tengai Makyou IV on Saturn is also an excellent game. From what I played of it, the voice cast and story and everything is very well done and certainly worthy of getting a fan translation.
    Yeah, this one would be at the top of my wishlist too, right up there with Legend of Xanadu I and II on PCE. The game looks like a blast. Marica is another I'm curious about.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •