Quantcast

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturn RPGs

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Are you just talking about Sega's first in their own games? There are Turbo and PC Engine CD games that are 100% voice acted without any text.
    A little bit of both . Popfulmail was one of the 1st but not everyone had spoken dialogue , but Magic Knight Rayearth had every character feature spoken dialogue.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Was a PS game ever in development for the Saturn, or did they just scrap the series all together during that time?
    I read an interview with Rieko Kodama where she said that Phantasy Star IV wrapped up the series well, but V was in development for a while. Since IV came out in late 1993 in Japan, V was probably in development for the Saturn.

Kodama later went on to make Magic Knight Rayearth for the Saturn in 1995.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

I remember reading an interview with Kodama where she said there were discussions for a fifth game where The Great Light was actually evil, which I thought was kind of cool because I remember thinking of scenarios for a fifth game with that same idea. It does seem like an obvious course of action (especially since there was something about TGL that always seemed suspicious to me), but I couldn't help but fist pump a little inside.

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

I'v been critical of Grandia in the past, but I've come to accept the game more over time. I must say that, although I own and have played the game on PSN, the PS1 version's downgrades are so repulsive and annoying that I can only enjoy the original Saturn version. The blurry, low-res battle backgrounds in the PS1 port are a big killer for me. Looking forward to seeing the Saturn version in English (there's already a Korean fan translation) but I have learned enough Japanese to understand a good amount of it in conjunction with having played the PS1 version, too.

The Japanese were not enthusiastic about PDS. It was too dark and realistic compared to Grandia which did in fact become a best-seller. Although the Japanese PDS (Azel) is easier to find than it's English counterpart (I assume because of higher production numbers) it did not make it into the SataKore greatest hits line, and it tends to get more mediocre ratings from Japanese publications than US ones. I personally disagree, of course, and the Japanese don't always have it right, but I do understand the difference in terms of cultural appeal and taste. Japanese reviewers will give it somewhere between 6 or 7 out of 10 on average, whereas Grandia gets 9 or 10, maybe 8 at the very least.
    Last edited by Jeckidy; 04-13-2018 at 04:10 AM.
    "You do not see the world as it is, you see the world as you are."

Grandia's downgrades coming to the PS1 are a shame, but the game is so good I am glad that people got to experience it in English anyhow. Better still, since you know the Saturn version probably would have been fucked with by Vic Ireland's posse.

I've been playing a bit of Shining the Holy Ark. When I first played the game getting my Saturn like 6+ years ago now, I hated it. I didn't like the slow framerate chugging in towns, or how the game got ludicrously difficult. Many years later, and having a better understanding of dungeon-crawlers, I can enjoy the game a lot more, even if the slowdown is still annoying - as well as the difficulty spike! The fairy system adds a twitch element to random battles that is kinda annoying (I always forget which sprite is mapped to which button, and which to use for enemies coming up, down, left, right... agh) but it is a fun extra flavor to the resource-management, battles, and crawling. It's probably one of the better 3D first-person dungeon-crawlers of the generation that I've played.

Shining the Holy Ark also serves as a good way of forgetting that the horrendous piece of garbage Shining Wisdom ever existed. A game so bad that Motoaki Takenouchi cited it as his reason to quit composing for videogames. If true, no punishment is too severe for that game - people should smash their precious Working Designs releases with a giant hammer.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

First experienced it on PS1. Later played it on SS but I typically play it on PS1 because of English. Grandia II, however, I refuse to accept anything other than Dreamcast. No downgrades and no cut scene changes. Also 1080P thanks to the VGA/HDMI box.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Wildside Expert

I really don't get the hatred of Working Designs. For better or worse, they put real effort into their stuff, and I'd take some of their more loose and colorful translations, like Albert Odyssey, over the apparently dry originals any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion View Post
    I really don't get the hatred of Working Designs. For better or worse, they put real effort into their stuff, and I'd take some of their more loose and colorful translations, like Albert Odyssey, over the apparently dry originals any day.
    I'll take their 'loose' translations and stomach the Clinton jokes, but I'd rather not take their asinine design changes to the original games. Just because 1 out of any given 10 of them were genuine improvements doesn't mean much when so much balance was thrown out the window.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorIng View Post
    I'll take their 'loose' translations and stomach the Clinton jokes, but I'd rather not take their asinine design changes to the original games. Just because 1 out of any given 10 of them were genuine improvements doesn't mean much when so much balance was thrown out the window.
    Are you referring to how they liked to make their games harder, so people wouldn't just finish 'em over the weekend and then return them? Because from a business perspective, I can understand why they did that. I know this unfortunately broke Exile Wicked Phenomenon, but I don't don't know of any other disasters caused by it. If there are other examples, do tell. I haven't played all their games.

And yeah, the political jokes I could do without too.

Grandia's downgrades coming to the PS1 are a shame, but the game is so good I am glad that people got to experience it in English anyhow. Better still, since you know the Saturn version probably would have been fucked with by Vic Ireland's posse. .
    I really don't get your hatred of WD games, Sure lines of text was changed, but that happens in most translations. I would have much rathered had WD translated Grandia to the Saturn with the main story intact, quality voice acting and the quality printed foil manuals. Than he joke that was the SONY western port and the complete lack of any port from SOA/SOE.
    I much rathered the WD version of Shining Wisdom that the Pal SEGA translation myself.
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 04-14-2018 at 06:15 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I said the translation was something I was ok with. It's the game changes that are irksome because they are usually almost always to the game's detriment. These games are designed around certain parameters, and outside of the Telenet shit that WD started with on the PC Engine (stuff like Exile) which was broken to begin with, there was no need to appoint themselves master game designers because Vic and co. clearly weren't. There changes reek of amateur stupidity, if not outright hostility towards the source material.

E.G. Elemental Gearbolt, increasing all the enemy stats without accounting for how your guns deal damage, making what was an enjoyable and tough lightgun game into an unbearable slog.
    or Raystorm, where you were purposefully locked out of playing the original arcade difficulty (you know, for a game designed around its arcade difficulty) by making it so that any time you wanted to set the difficulty to its Japanese default the game would end after stage 3
    Or Albert Odyssey which "compensated" for the lowering the random battle rate by tripling the health of the boring boss fights, making some of them last for over an hour of repeating the same tactic over and over again.

There's a reason why those Un-Worked Designs patches are so well-received, because they keep the thing that people more or less like (dated pop-culture jokes aside), and remove all the stupid shit Vic Ireland added to the games.

But that's besides the point of the thread. Not even a silly WD localization could save Shining Wisdom though. Nothing could save that broken, crappy game. Virtual Hydlide is a better Saturn RPG, and you know I am telling the truth.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

shining wisdom is a fine game. but you should play the pal version that has a correct translation linking the older shining games and worlds.

But that's besides the point of the thread. Not even a silly WD localization could save Shining Wisdom though. Nothing could save that broken, crappy game. Virtual Hydlide is a better Saturn RPG, and you know I am telling the truth.
    TBH I've always found all the Shining games way overrated and none have much of a story or a compelling cast of Characters. I don't mind The WD changes for village talk, when that is a load of rubbish and would really matter if it was changed or not. From what I read Saga had some changes to its text and story for the Western release and the ending changed too, Skies of Arcadia had quite a lot of its texts changed and people hold it up to be a classic in the west.

Ive loved WD ports and so very wished they had the rights to translate Grandia on the Saturn back in the dayb
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

shining force 3 scenarios have a fabulous storyline and character development.

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    shining force 3 scenarios have a fabulous storyline and character development.
    I found the 1st one to be rather lame and boring. I've never played the fan translations, so can't comment on them. Grandina story, cast of characters and sense of Adventure was and to this day, just amazing.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information