Quantcast

Thread: Great Golf

Master System Great Golf

Golf games aren't for everyone, and fans of the sport know a good game when they see one. As one of the only representations of golf on the Master System, Sega's entry debuted as part of the "Great" games series. Was it great? Er, no. Read the full review and find out why.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert OmegaMax's Avatar

Thanks for the review,I've never really liked golf games with the exception of Top Players Golf for neo geo,2/10 is not good.
    Last edited by OmegaMax; 12-15-2017 at 01:42 AM.

Your welcome OmegaMatrix. It's indeed not a good game. The sound of your golf swing turning into static noise that stays on the screen is truly one of the most annoying things in any game ever.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

It feels like Sega just wanted to get a library of titles on store shelves with little effort, as this game and every other game in the Great Sports series is poor and feel rushed and just aren’t fun to play. This is probably another reason as to why the Sega Master System never took off when compared to the NES.
    Considering how that success varied by region, and how sports games weren't a big focus of advertising that gen, I doubt it. And when you consider the competition of contemporary sports games in 1986/1987, the NES wasn't really any better for that genre at the time overall (outside of boxing games where Tyson easily won).

I think the "Great" sports series did age during its gen due to superior sports games appearing later on. And it's easy to be unimpressed by them now, but I don't think it's fair to consider them shovelware when they came out.

Great Baseball was surpassed by later games but, for its time, it was a big step up from NES Baseball. That was a 1983 game in Japan and understandably looked and felt much older. RBI Baseball hadn't been localized yet and other respected NES baseball games weren't out yet.

Great Volleyball may be dated now but it was a bit better than its console competition at the time, NES Volleyball. They're similar stylistically but Great Volleyball is visually improved.

Great Ice Hockey had a nice sense of speed and puck physics, and played fine with the trackball but not many people had that controller. I think Blades of the Steel on NES was the definitive console hockey game that gen but that came out almost two years after Great Ice Hockey.

Great Basketball and NES Double Dribble were competing around the same time. I prefer Double Dribble for its details and options but Great Basketball had solid controls and physics. It was respectable for 1987.

I LOVED Great Baseball back in the day. I played the hell out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Considering how that success varied by region, and how sports games weren't a big focus of advertising that gen, I doubt it. And when you consider the competition of contemporary sports games in 1986/1987, the NES wasn't really any better for that genre at the time overall (outside of boxing games where Tyson easily won).

I think the "Great" sports series did age during its gen due to superior sports games appearing later on. And it's easy to be unimpressed by them now, but I don't think it's fair to consider them shovelware when they came out.

Great Baseball was surpassed by later games but, for its time, it was a big step up from NES Baseball. That was a 1983 game in Japan and understandably looked and felt much older. RBI Baseball hadn't been localized yet and other respected NES baseball games weren't out yet.

Great Volleyball may be dated now but it was a bit better than its console competition at the time, NES Volleyball. They're similar stylistically but Great Volleyball is visually improved.

Great Ice Hockey had a nice sense of speed and puck physics, and played fine with the trackball but not many people had that controller. I think Blades of the Steel on NES was the definitive console hockey game that gen but that came out almost two years after Great Ice Hockey.

Great Basketball and NES Double Dribble were competing around the same time. I prefer Double Dribble for its details and options but Great Basketball had solid controls and physics. It was respectable for 1987.
    You dont mentioned "Great Soccer". I had a lot of fun with it in back days.
    Edit: i had fun with World Soccer and not "Great Soccer".
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)

I have played several of the Great Sports series and I do have that Great Baseball is decent. I didn't find it great as the scoring was so skewed and the AI was all over the place. The game is probably best played with two players. It is, however, the one "Great Sports" game to play.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Thread Information