Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Panned movies you've enjoyed

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigladiesman View Post
    Oh, mah GAAAAAAAAAAAWD, I still have to see this movie!

Anyone of you has seen Dünyayi Kurtaran Adam, Supermen Donuyor or Supersonic Man? These three also deserve a place.
    Dude, crack open a few beers, etc and enjoy. Lol

End of line.. ESWAT Veteran gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Tron: Legacy (2010)

Am I crazy to have loved this movie, gamevet? It has good sci-fi visuals, some 80's nostalgia, a hot chick that acts the part and a killer soundtrack. Oh, and Jeff Bridges, he's cool too. Even brings some traces of the dude in this film.

The uncanny valley CGI did not bother me either. Pity the sequel got turned down.
    It earned $400 million at the box office, which is not what I'd call a failure. The original only netted $33 million and was a cult classic.

Like the original, Legacy was an audio visual experience with a very limited story line. It's a bring out your popcorn and turn off your mind kind of experience, and I sometimes like those kind of movies.

Nope, only several parts of it. But I checked, and man, Sam Jones is a badass: Saviour of the universe, king of the impossible, a miracle!

You need to check out TED. It is gut busting funny!

A coked out Flash Gordon and gang is priceless!

Last edited by gamevet; 01-01-2018 at 01:03 AM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spaced View Post
    Hudson Hawk, watched this a few times over the years and not the best Bruce Willis film by a long way but wow the critics went to town on this one.
    This is not a bad movie. This is one of the best movies ever made.
    I'll be over here singing "swinging on a star" now.

Am I crazy to have loved this movie, gamevet? It has good sci-fi visuals, some 80's nostalgia, a hot chick that acts the part and a killer soundtrack. Oh, and Jeff Bridges, he's cool too. Even brings some traces of the dude in this film.

The uncanny valley CGI did not bother me either. Pity the sequel got turned down.
    Honestly, the CGI and the redudant plot made the movie a flop for me, and I loved the original Tron. I've probably seen the original a dozen times. They tried to add depth, but the fact that the games and the light cycle sequences and pacing of the movie with Flynns son was basically the same as wjth Flynn in the original just made the movie too forgettable. The CGI graphics also are nowhere near as disctinctive as the original. The soundtrack by Daft Punk was excellent though, and Jeff Flynns young face in CGI waa creepy, but cool technology. It also probably had one of the most fun, hyped ARGs that I've seen for popular media. The different websites, posters, drop off points, and other things were really cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Honestly, the CGI and the redudant plot made the movie a flop for me, and I loved the original Tron. I've probably seen the original a dozen times. They tried to add depth, but the fact that the games and the light cycle sequences and pacing of the movie with Flynns son was basically the same as wjth Flynn in the original just made the movie too forgettable. The CGI graphics also are nowhere near as disctinctive as the original. The soundtrack by Daft Punk was excellent though, and Jeff Flynns young face in CGI waa creepy, but cool technology. It also probably had one of the most fun, hyped ARGs that I've seen for popular media. The different websites, posters, drop off points, and other things were really cool.
    I agree with those points. I really wanted to like the movie. The soundtrack was excellent. But ultimately it missed that truly surreal quality that made the first one so good.

It was just a neon reality, whereas the first seemed so much more alien and interesting... even if it was comparatively much more primitive.

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

A plenty! And not in the "So bad it's good" way either. Guess I got a terrible taste in movies

Let's see... The Star Wars prequels trilogy (with a tidbit: only in Russian dub where the acting isn't insufferable), The Mummy (1999), Van Helsing (2003), The Shadow (1994) (I genuinely have no idea why was this movie panned, it was a great superhero flick), Ghost Rider (only the first one though)... hell, might even throw in Spider-Man 3 for good measure.

Great thread!

I have one:

Blackhat (2015)

Blackhat-2015.jpg

33% on Rotten Tomatoes and tanked at the box office, losing about $50 million. But I really enjoyed this one. Even if Chris Hemsworth was miscast, the interesting setting and subject is enough for me to recommend as a popcorn thriller.
    Last edited by Chimaera; 01-03-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Rebel scum Hero of Algol MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -RT View Post
    The Shadow (1994).
    I’m still frankly amazed that Jerry Goldsmith wasn’t sued by Full Moon Entertainment for ripping off the Puppet Master theme wholesale.

I couldn’t have been the only one to have caught that.

Rebel Pizza ESWAT Veteran Thief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    Great thread!

I have one:

Blackhat (2015)

Blackhat-2015.jpg

33% on Rotten Tomatoes and tanked at the box office, losing about $50 million. But I really enjoyed this one. Even if Chris Hemsworth was miscast, the interesting setting and subject is enough for me to recommend as a popcorn thriller.
    Seen this movie and, meh. I mean, it started out good and all (love thrillers with smart protagonists), but it just didn't keep the momentum strong enough till the end for me.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

I'm a retro fan when it comes to movies, too, so lots of them but especially Death Wish 3.

Then we have Silence Of The Hams, 3 Dev Adam, Superman IV: The Quest For Peace, Flash Gordon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3, Power Rangers: The Movie (the game by Banpresto we had... Not so much, not bad, but quite mediocre and my little bro was a fan, so we rented it more times than any other game except for Sonic 3), most of the movies from Lloyd Kaufman's Troma... My last discovery has been Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs.
    Wait, there are people who exist who don't like Flash Gordon and Troma films?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    I’m still frankly amazed that Jerry Goldsmith wasn’t sued by Full Moon Entertainment for ripping off the Puppet Master theme wholesale.

I couldn’t have been the only one to have caught that.
    I'm sure they wanted to spend their time and money on only their top-most priority: MAKING THE BEST MOVIES THIS PLANET HAS EVER SEEN.

I seem to remember May getting some pretty bad reviews, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. People were calling it a Frankenstein ripoff, but I didn't see that at all as it had completely different approach and metal aspect, which was appealing to me.

The movie was great. I loved the Soundtrack for it overall.
    05/05/15

& Knuckles Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker DAGarden's Avatar

Batman & Robin (1997).
    While this film has it's flaws (many of them), I still enjoy watching it. I think I can see the direction Joel Schumacher was heading for (another campy Batman film, anyone?), and while it didn't hit the mark, it was pretty close. There's also a few solid parts of the film that I really like, such as Poison Ivy in general (Uma Thurman did a great job with the character, I reckon), Mr Freeze's motivation/story arc (although it's difficult to see behind the chilling abundance of ice-cold freeze puns) and the Arkham Asylum scenes look stylish and work rather well (although, they also have their problems, but hey, what can you do?).

Nameless One

Cutthroat Island
    I watched the movie and really enjoyed it.
    From wikipedia: "The abject disaster of Cutthroat Island is also credited with significantly reducing the bankability and Hollywood production of pirate-themed films, which recovered only with the production of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl in 2003"

Formerly known as 5233 Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

I found out that my PAL VHS copy of 1992's Steel Justice actually does work, but without a PAL VCR, I can't play it in proper timing; everything comes up black and white and with sped up sound. But I know it's because it's PAL and that means it works! This movie is nearly impossible to find in any format and this PAL VHS may be one of the few physical releases in existence. Very limited. I haven't been able to watch the film myself, but I would be willing to sell the tape. It's about a cop whose dead son is reborn into the infamous Robosaurus!

I actually really liked Tron Legacy. I thought it had a lot more plot and depth than the first one. I thought the first one was a visual powerhouse but not much more so for me that got old after only a few viewings.

I also have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I thought the plot was great and the movie compelled me to the end.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Thread Information