Quantcast

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: A Winner Is You 2018 edition...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

20. Resident Evil 2 - PS1

Not as funny as the first one, but it still had its moments. Also, there's something about these games (well, the first two, anyway). The stories aren't that great and they aren't very fun to play, but I keep getting drawn toward them and want to play them.

14. DeltaZeal (Xbox 360)
    Old school styled vertical shooter with several secrets and a few branching paths; power-up system is a bit annoying, nice music towards the end.

15. Robocco Wars (NES)
    Platforming/shooter hybrid with nice graphics and an unnerving last level.

16. Neo XYX (Neo Geo AES)
    A frantic homage to classic Toaplan shooters with a relatively sturdy scoring system.

17. Daisenpu Custom (PC Engine CD)
    An arrange mode of sorts based on the HuCard Daisenpu, with clearly divided and some additional levels.

18. Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius (SNES)
    Trademark Konami wacky fun; I looped the game with Rupa and Soitsu, but got a better final result with the latter.

19. SD Gundam - V Sakusen Shidou (SNES)
    Another shooter/platform hybrid based on the famous anime; unfortunately the gameplay is clunky and cheap, not my idea of mecha fun at all.

20. Harmful Park (PS1)
    Lovely art design, easy challenge and surprisingly deep scoring system here.

21. Gyrodine (PS2)
    Arcade version that's easier than the port I knew beforehand (NES); a different take on the Xevious formula that's rather amusing.

22. Psyvariar Medium Unit (PS2)
    Grazing danmaku that becomes extremely addictive after a while; I had a blast with it and am already looking forward to the sequels.

23. Lords of Thunder (Sega CD)
    Quite like the PC Engine CD original with the great sprite work and the awesome music; it just isn't as hard.

24. Galaxy Force II (Mega Drive)
    Finally beat this one. It's not as baaaad as the first impression says, or perhaps it's just the nice music that makes it bearable...

25. Battle Crust (Dreamcast)
    Port of a game released on Steam; it's standard 16-bit fare, decent enough and mildly entertaining.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Power Blade (NES):

I remember reading about this game in Nintendo Power and thinking that it looked super generic... basically just Contra with a boomerang, is what I thought.

I picked this game up sometime in 2014, after hearing repeatedly how solid it was. It took me another four years to get around to playing it.

And man, this was one of the best games I played all year. The boomerang mechanic fun and rewarding to use, the controls are tight and responsive, the music is great, the level design is fantastic, and the gameplay offers a reasonable challenge without being frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    24. Galaxy Force II (Mega Drive)
    Finally beat this one.
    That would be my reaction if I ever beat that one. I just couldn't get into it at all. I've never played the arcade original, but I can see how it could be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Power Blade (NES):

I remember reading about this game in Nintendo Power and thinking that it looked super generic... basically just Contra with a boomerang, is what I thought.
    For some reason, that sounds much more appealing than regular old Contra to me. Everything else you stated makes me want to acquire this one though.

21. Baoynetta - Xbox 360

Well, I ended up beating this one, but it didn't really feel like I did because I suck at it. My fiance loves this game and wanted me to play it, but only when she was around to watch. The problem is that we do a lot more together than play games, so it took me a really long time to beat this and was never really ever able to get into a groove. This stands as one of the few games where she is definitely better than I am (maybe that was part of her plan).

22. Maken X - Dreamcast

This game was cool, and I really like that they chose a first person perspective as it fits the game really well. It was awkward at first, but its' easy to get used to after a while, and they did a good job designing the enemies so it doesn't feel like you're doing the same thing all the time. Unfortunately, a lot of the writing and voice acting were bad, so it wasn't as cool as it could have been. I like how the interactions, endings, and routes, based on the decisions you make/characters you brainjack. The ending I got wasn't really satisfying at all, but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Capcom Belt Action Collection. (in the US Capcom Beat em up bundle) The physical version much like Strider 2014 on PS3. Despite being the Japanese version of the game is by default entirely in English.

I didn't play Final Fight nor Captain Commando because I have beaten both on PSP many times and SNES for Final Fight.

Battle Circuit is one of the stranger games on the collection. I finished it but the game just never clicked with me.

The King of Dragons. Fun game but felt like a poor mans Dungeon's & Dragon's Tower of Doom/Mystara complete with BS Red Dragon final boss. Still, a Fantasy beat em up is typically a win in my book.

Warriors of Fate. I enjoyed this one. In a weird way felt like a 2D Dynasty Warriors. Maybe just the setting of Samurai but also liked to pile on Enemies all at once more than some of the other games.

Armored Warriors. I never knew of this game and this sings to me. Mecha beat em up. Ok, not the smoothest game of the bunch but I sure did enjoy the game. Would I like it as much as I do if it wasn't mecha? No. But it does, so I do.

The final game and the one I looked forward to most. I never played it in arcades but always wanted the game on SNES. Screw that, because not I have the full arcade version on a cartridge. Knights of the Round. I love the leveling up and your armor gets better. Next, to D&D this is my fave Capcom Medieval fantasy beat em up. Not sure of any of Capcom's games because in the RPG department. Capcom has Dragon's Dogma. The sound of these games is something burned into my memory. Like the SNES and Genesis themselves. You know a Capcom CPS II board when you hear one.

Even tho this released digitally months ago in the US. I patiently waited til December to get my hands on this collection. Boy, it was worth it. I love beat em ups and I fucking love 90s Capcom. Next to 90s SEGA,90s Capcom is my fave developer. I truly feel their games were so rich with great IPs, they could have had their own console in the 90s. Mainly 16-bit era. Glad they didn't because everyone got to enjoy the best 3rd party developer of the era. They could do it all.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

The Ninja Warriors Arcade. Happy Console Gamer made me aware of the game several years ago. Way back in maybe 2010? The OST became one of my faves ever. I eventually got the sequel on SNES but the music is forgettable. Not the same game either. I knew there were home versions but I wanted arcade perfect or as close you can get at home. Sorry but no system from the era would do. I bought the game on PS4 last night. Finished it and yeah I sucked at it mainly because of how slow my character is. Still, I quite enjoyed it. May have been cooler then. Still, I am just in euphoria with that music. Maybe as a game, it hasn't aged all that great but like Vigilante on Tubo, I still enjoyed it a lot. Now with the CD in my hands can listen to the OST on my Discman while playing Hagane.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Did you beat that game in 2018 or 2019?

Oops. Time to wrap up this thread. Here's my list, with a few notes...

1) Dark Souls (PC)
    2) Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PC)
    3) Dark Souls III (PC)
    4) Ghoul Boy (PC)
    5) Sky Force Reloaded (PC)
    6) Lords of the Fallen (PC)
    7) Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (PS2)
    8) Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (PS2)
    9) Karateka (PC)-
    This remake of the original game was... well, so-so. Not bad, not horrible, just meh.
    10) Demon's Souls (PS3)- Played this via an emulator. A few graphical glitches here and there, but it was cool to get to see where the whole series started.
    11) Dark Souls: Remastered (PC)- Some nice touches and a few fixes, but it really should have been given a more extensive makeover. It deserves it.
    12) Dark Souls II (PC)
    13) Dungeon Escape (PC)

14) Far Cry 3 (PC)
    15) Slain! Back From Hell (PC)
    16) The Vagrant (PC)-
    This was an odd little game. It looks nice, with a visual style much like Dragon's Crown. The gameplay is pretty basic, but it plays well enough to enjoy. It has a decent story as well.
    17) Kingdom of the Dragon (PC)- A retro-looking adventure game doesn't hold your hand... at all. It was fun, but it can get frustrating when you've no clue where to go next.
    18) Demon Peak (PC)- This is a game I wanted to like, but it just fell short in a number of areas. The pixel art is fine, but the balance and gameplay could have used a bit more work. Feels unfinished as well.
    19) Cuphead (PC)
    20) Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PC)
    - NES looks and gameplay. A somewhat short, but entertaining prelude of what's to come with the main game.
    21) Taimumari (PC)
    22) Hexen (PC)
    23) Heretic (PC)
    24) Hexen: Deathknights of the Dark Citadel (PC)-
    This expansion should have never been made. It's filled with what feels like rejected maps. No real flow and just tedious as hell to get through. It's a scar on the great game that was Hexen.
    25) Crysis 3 (PC)
    26) Ys Memories of Celceta (PC)
    27) Dragon Quest Heroes (PC)
    28) Steel Empire (PC)-
    It plays like the Genesis game and looks like the DS port, but with some visual oddities scattered throughout (like strange outlines that show up at times).
    29) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (PC)
    30) The King of Fighters XIII (PC)

31) Death's Gambit (PC)- Dark Souls in pixel form. That's pretty much what this game is. The visuals are very nice and the gameplay, while a bit harsh at times in somewhat unfair ways, works pretty well. Some great boss fights too.
    32) Serious Sam 3: BFE (PC)
    33) Serious Sam: The First Encounter HD (PC)
    34) Serious Sam: The Second Encounter HD (PC)
    35) Serious Sam 2 (PC)
    36) Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate (PC)

37) Varia Metal (Arcade)- A little seen shmup from the arcades. A decent game in terms of visuals, music and gameplay, but also unexpectedly easy.
    38) Final Star Force (Arcade)- Not a bad shmup, but Tecmo wasn't known for their shmups. It's got some nice graphics, but beyond that, there's not much that's going to grab your attention.
    39) Air Duel (Arcade)
    40) Sniper Elite 2 (PC)
    41) Zombie Army Trilogy (PC)-
    Hard, at times a touch eerie, but a fun romp with a campy as hell story.
    42) Sniper Elite 3 (PC)
    43) Ghost Rider (PS2)- It's Marvel meets God of War. It's basically a side story that features the characters from the two movies (except Nicholas Cage's likeness). A bit tedious, but enjoyable enough.
    44) Super House of Dead Ninjas (PC)- A fast-paced and fun actiony platformer. Lots of little things to uinlock, and you have to beat the hard mode to get the real ending (like the old 16-bit days). Retro visuals, gore, good bosses that change at times when you play through... just fun stuff.
    45) Promethium (PC)- Short shmup that mirrors games like Thunder Fox (Atari XEGS) and Uridium (C64). Nice visuals, a bit glitchy (the controls sometimes got stuck), but a fairly enjoyable shmup.
    46) Battlefield 1 (PC)
    47) Revolution-X (Genesis)-
    Yes, I sat down and played this game again. Bought it for cheap and wanted to give it go.
    48) Alien Rage Unlimited (PC)- A CI game that's actually decent? Yep. It's generic in a lot of ways, but unlike a lot of the games that CI puts out (be it made by them or published by them), this one had some effort put into it. The Unreal 3 engine provides some nice visuals, the weapons are satisfying to use, the levels are design reasonably well and the voice acting isn't seizure inducing.
    49) Lotus Turbo Challenge (Genesis)- Got this for Christmas and beat it. Half of the tracks are fine, two are tough and two are brutally unfair. Storm (the final track) and Marsh had me cussing up a storm something fierce. Interstate was right behind them with those damned semis constantly crossing the road near the end.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

Thread Information