Quantcast

Thread: Tempest 2000

Saturn Tempest 2000

The Atari Jaguar classic received an incredible port on the Saturn. Arguably as good if not better than the original, it explodes onto Sega's 32-bit beast with bold visuals, great gameplay, and that classic Tempest 2000 soundtrack in redbook format! Read the full review for more details.

Atari2600

Excellent review. It's only real fault is the lack of a proper knob. My memory may be off here, but I swore I tried it with the 2600 paddle controllers, but they are sluggish since the game reads them as digital inputs. D-pad works fine, but I could never make into the 80s. I probably just stink, but those later stages are just insane and much too busy for me.

I remember reading that the soundtrack worked better on the Jaguar due to not having to load. That's the only reason I consider getting it from time to time. Problem is like you say in the review: the Jaguar lacks enough games to make it worthwhile.

This makes me want to give Space Giraffe another chance. Generally love Minter, but that one just rubbed me the wrong way.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Excellent review. It's only real fault is the lack of a proper knob. My memory may be off here, but I swore I tried it with the 2600 paddle controllers, but they are sluggish since the game reads them as digital inputs.
    PS1 version supports analog inputs.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Cafeman's Avatar

Interesting that the first Saturn review is Tempest 2000 and not one of the commonly mentioned Saturn titles. I enjoyed reading it, and it deserves the very high review score. I played this endlessly bitd, with the stereo turned up loud to enjoy its fantastic music. I enjoy Tempest 2000 much more than the (very difficult!) Original Tempest due to its balanced difficulty, music, and extra features. When I finally tried the Jag original, I found I preferred the Saturn port. I never tried the Ps1 version so cant compare with that one. I also never came close to beating this.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Cafeman's Avatar

Why does this Saturn review not appear on the same summary page as the recent NiGHTS review? It appears there is a Saturn reviews category m and another Saturn/ DC / Arcade section . Just an fyi.

Thread Information