Quantcast

Thread: Power Drive

Megadrive Power Drive

Rally racing is an underrepresented sub-genre on most consoles, but many people are surprised to know that there are rally games on the Genesis. Power Drive is one of the better examples, presenting a solid package of visuals and gameplay. Fans would do well to give this European import title a try. Read the full review for more details.

Amused to death Master of Shinobi Bottino's Avatar

Nice to see this game finally reviewed. It's a somewhat obscure title but a very interesting one.

It was also released in Brazil, but I believe that "PAL region" covers my tropical land as well.

I've recently beaten this game for Sega 16 beat'em all thread - those who are interested can find my ramblings about the game here - and I believe that my feelings about Power Drive are very much in tune with opinions found in this fine review.

I don't think that the lack of a 2-player head-to-head feature was a big loss though; given the nature of the game, I think that it's understandable that the developers chose (?) to left it out. Or perhaps there wasn't simply enough space left on the 8mbit cartridge that they used.
    Last edited by Bottino; 01-05-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Cafeman's Avatar
    Western PA, turn right after the mulberry tree

Thanks, nice well written review. I never heard of this game before! Went to YT and checked out some play videos there.

Going to have to check this out as well. Thanks for the review.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Outrunner

finally! Now if I could just grab a cheaper copy somewhere...
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~915) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    Thanks, nice well written review. I never heard of this game before! Went to YT and checked out some play videos there.
    I never heard of it before, either. I also watched it on YouTube. It seems much slower-paced than games like F1 Circus. I wish someone would make a sim-style overhead racer that was full-screen like Indy Heat. Having to rely on memorization, on-screen arrows, and radar can be frustrating.

Anyways, is there a way to play this on a Genesis or is it PAL only?
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Power Drive is one of my favourite games, I've played the hell out of the DOS and Jaguar versions too and I think that Sega fans got a really decent version of the game. I think Power Drive is criminally overlooked and I'm surprised its usually available quite cheaply. If anyone really enjoys it then I recommend the Jaguar version, if you can still find a copy.
    Last edited by Mad Moham; 01-10-2018 at 05:52 PM.
    I command you to rise from your grave, use steroids and run around in your underwear kicking dogs.

Outrunner

I wouldn't call some 20+ euros cart only a cheap game, particularly not for a sports one...
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~915) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

I wonder if Sega could have made something like this to put Sega Rally on Genesis?
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    Anyways, is there a way to play this on a Genesis or is it PAL only?
    It plays fine on a Genesis model. The game is region free if I'm not mistaken.

And yeah, this is the type of game that hooks you with it's skill-based and precision gameplay. Youtube videos doesn't really make the game justice.

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    I wouldn't call some 20+ euros cart only a cheap game, particularly not for a sports one...
    The actual value that something and the price that's charged for it are completely separate things. That said, Power Drive is a racing game with a rally setting, not really a sports game ( just like Super Monaco GP and F-1, for instance ).

Outrunner

I always found strange that racing games are not considered sports games but you are right, that's just the way it is.

As for the value, the game is great. You would expect to find it cheaper, though.

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    I always found strange that racing games are not considered sports games but you are right, that's just the way it is.
    It's just people that don't like sports games that think that. They don't want to admit that they like a sports game. Check out Virtua Racing and Sega Rally. They both say Sega Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    It's just people that don't like sports games that think that. They don't want to admit that they like a sports game. .
    Yet, I grew up playing Fifa soccer, ISS DeLuxe, Wining Eleven, NBA live, NBA Jam...

The problem here is that the definition of what is a 'sport' has become very broad. Chess is a board game, that became a 'sport; Karate, Judo and Tae Kwon Do are martial arts that also became 'sports'. Today, we have this huge marketing charade that classifies competitive gaming as "e-sports".

I'm a PE teacher. Should I teach my students how to play PES or Street Fighter?

Football, Basketball and others are naturally classified as 'sports games' because they exist as sports in their natural condition. Although competitive racing is also classified as a 'sport', the act of driving a car or simply to 'race' does not qualify it as a sport; also, you need a machine ( a car, motorcycle etc. ) to engage in such action.
    That's why I classify Power Drive as simply being a racing game with a rally setting. Same goes for every other game in this genre.

I get that street racing isn't a sport. Rally racing is a real sport, though. I haven't played this game yet but it sounds like it's based upon the sport, not unorganized street racing.

It's kind of like Street Fighter II (unorganized street fight) is not a sport but Evander Holyfield (boxing) is a sport. Street Fighter II is just like two bad dudes deciding to fight each other somewhere.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert OmegaMax's Avatar

I liked the Jaguar version will need to try the Genesis version.Thanks for review.

Thread Information