Quantcast

Thread: Getting SG-1000 games to run on a Genesis Everdrive?

Default Getting SG-1000 games to run on a Genesis Everdrive?

Hello everyone, since you can run SMS games on a Genesis Everdrive, I wonder if its possible to get SG 1000 games to run on it as well. When I try to run a SG 1000 game on the Everdrive, I get game sounds but also a black screen. Is it possible to get the games to run on the Everdrive?

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

No, unfortunately. The Genesis has no support for the TMS9918 video mode used in the SG-1000, so you'll just get a black screen with all SG-1000 games.

Outrunner

Is no one converting the best SG-1000 games to SMS "regular" video modes/palettes in order to render them compatible with the MD as it has been done to death with Game Gear games (GG2SMS) so they are playable on an Everdrive MD ?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~915) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

GG2SMS is a completely different set of issues, though. The Game Gear essentially uses a high-color version of the Master System's native video mode, so the number of tweaks needed is relatively small and the basics are already present.

The SG-1000 graphics mode is more or less the same as the ColecoVision's, and nothing like it is used natively in the Genesis, so you'd be starting from near-scratch. (They even managed to screw it up on the Master System, with incorrect palette values that are hardcoded and can't be fixed.)

The best way to play SG-1000 games on US hardware is probably on the Game Gear, strangely enough -- especially now that KRIKzz has released a BIOS revision for the EverDrive-GG that sets up the TMS9918 palette correctly. (I need to check that out, as I was one of the people bugging him for it.)

Otherwise, someone would probably have to write a program to interpret SG-1000 code somehow, intercept any calls to graphics routines, and convert them to something the Genesis supports. A guy on AtariAge recently did something like that to allow RCA Studio II games to run on the Intellivision, and I'd imagine it's at least theoretically possible -- as long as the Genesis palette allows for an exact reproduction of the SG-1000 colors.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

You can play SG-1000 games on a Mark III using the Master Everdrive and a converter. The colors aren't technically exact though, but neither are SMS games' color correct on Genesis hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Outrunner

Theoretically speaking would the 68000 be enough for SG-1000 emulation ?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~915) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    You can play SG-1000 games on a Mark III using the Master Everdrive and a converter. The colors aren't technically exact though, but neither are SMS games' color correct on Genesis hardware.
    Some games are borderline unplayable with the Mark III/SMS colors, though -- typically enemies that can't be seen against the background -- and a lot of them are butt-ugly.

If only the ColecoVision had better controllers it'd be a great platform for playing SG-1000 games, given that around half of the SG-1000 library has already been ported (not that it's a trivial task to do so, but the CV gradually seems to be absorbing the SG-1000 library) and the colors are correct.

Video Game Modder Road Rasher segasonicfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    GG2SMS is a completely different set of issues, though. The Game Gear essentially uses a high-color version of the Master System's native video mode, so the number of tweaks needed is relatively small and the basics are already present.

The SG-1000 graphics mode is more or less the same as the ColecoVision's, and nothing like it is used natively in the Genesis, so you'd be starting from near-scratch. (They even managed to screw it up on the Master System, with incorrect palette values that are hardcoded and can't be fixed.)

The best way to play SG-1000 games on US hardware is probably on the Game Gear, strangely enough -- especially now that KRIKzz has released a BIOS revision for the EverDrive-GG that sets up the TMS9918 palette correctly. (I need to check that out, as I was one of the people bugging him for it.)

Otherwise, someone would probably have to write a program to interpret SG-1000 code somehow, intercept any calls to graphics routines, and convert them to something the Genesis supports. A guy on AtariAge recently did something like that to allow RCA Studio II games to run on the Intellivision, and I'd imagine it's at least theoretically possible -- as long as the Genesis palette allows for an exact reproduction of the SG-1000 colors.
    So interesting...I didnt realize the GG increased palette helped so much! Glad you bugged Kirkzz about the support (I did too) - so its all out now with a new OS?The GG is so underrated...I mean, 3 systems in one portable!

-Segasonicfan

Thread Information