Quantcast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The disappointment that is SOR3 !

I don't think that music comment was meant to be taken seriously, midnightider.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    I'm not bothered by Streets of Rage 3, but I realize what I like about 2 the most is that it's essentially the only beat 'em up that trusts beat 'em up gameplay to carry it though the whole way(no stage hazards, or vehicle racing, or RPG leveling, or platforming, or anything). 3 adds a lot of good ideas to beat 'em up gameplay, but then comes back with stage hazards, thought of having vehicle stages, and as I said in the last post, introduces damn near every enemy you'll ever fight in the first stage.
    Excluding stage vehicles and RPG leveling, both Double Dragon and Final Fight are also guilty of doing the things that you've described, so it's not like it's something out of the ordinary or game-breaking.

Then again, I do prefer beating my opponents to a pulp without having shit falling on my head, thankyouverymuch.
    Last edited by Bottino; 02-09-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Road Rasher

IMO gameplay and graphics-wise, BK3 and SOR3 are pretty good. SOR2 was much better-received in general, but BK3/SOR3 definitely has tighter and better polished gameplay (barring SOR3's ridiculous unfair difficulty ramp). Some wonkiness (6-button mechanics making the whole leveling-up thing redundant), but apart from that the gameplay is vastly better.

The music, on the other hand, was a real mixed bag for me back then, and remains so as now. Moon, The Poets I and II and a few other tunes are pretty darn good, but the rest of the soundtrack sometimes delves into atonal randomness. (The disco theme sounds more like a gruesomely overdone satire of 'rave' music, while Crazy Train borders on ear rape with its squeakiness.)

SOR3's plot would have been considered silly, trite and badly written even by early-90s TV cartoon standards. A complete butchery of BK3's comparatively skin-tingling plot. Fortunately, who plays these games for their plotlines? XD
    Last edited by Eep386; 02-13-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Double Dragon is exactly what I had in mind when I brought up platforming. That bridge in the 3rd stages was always there, then there's the NES port, with the cave in the following stage. Followed by the NES port of II, which has Mega Man platforming near the end, with disappearing/reappearing platforms overs spikes. Back to 1, the final stage with the wall spears, the spike pit, and the moving wall slabs that can push you into said spike pit. No this series is far from a solid example of games that trusts their own genre's gameplay to see it through.

Final Fight thinks the genre's boring enough to need bonus stages to break up the brawling.

Double Dragon is exactly what I had in mind when I brought up platforming. That bridge in the 3rd stages was always there, then there's the NES port, with the cave in the following stage. Followed by the NES port of II, which has Mega Man platforming near the end, with disappearing/reappearing platforms overs spikes. Back to 1, the final stage with the wall spears, the spike pit, and the moving wall slabs that can push you into said spike pit. No this series is far from a solid example of games that trusts their own genre's gameplay to see it through.

Final Fight thinks the genre's boring enough to need bonus stages to break up the brawling.
    Come on now a 15 sec bonus makes it an "unpure" beat 'em up now lol? by that logic they thought Street Fighter games were boring too. Oh and SoR2 has a few conveyor belts, seems like the devs didn't trust regular beat em up movement
    Last edited by Vludi; 02-10-2018 at 02:34 PM.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

I really love SoR's soundtrack. It has energy and variety and doesn't sound like anything else. What is not to love? It does have a couple of especially weak tracks but the rest is great.

The translation is a shame, but the script isn't that vital in a beat 'em up, even if it does have a cutscene after every level. The increase in difficulty is mainly a good thing though. Bare Knuckle III is just too easy. Especially being the third game in the series, and like the hundredth beat 'em up you're picking up if you're into the genre, an increase in difficulty over previous games was definitely called for. And the increased move set also lends itself to a higher basic difficulty. SOA took it a little too far though; the ideal difficulty would be somewhere in between the two. But I still prefer the harder over the easier.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vludi View Post
    Oh and SoR2 has a few conveyor belts, seems like the devs didn't trust regular beat em up movement
    Now you're just being ridiculous. Where else would conveyor belts in video games fit than a genre the Japanese call "belt scroll?"

Now you're just being ridiculous. Where else would conveyor belts in video games fit than a genre the Japanese call "belt scroll?"
    But others don't have it, so SoR2 relies on its ground gimmick instead of pure combat

Banned by Administrators

SOR3 is no good for people that are no good at playing it. I do agree that they should have left the difficulty the same as BK3 and just added an extra hard mode for those that wanted it. The 6 button special moves are stronger than the super moves but take off no life bar. There are unique special moves for each character with various weapons. There is the super moves meter that allows you to use a super move without losing life. You can throw someone without losing your weapon. There are 3 different endings, well 4 whether or not you defeat the ape robot in time. Everyone has the run feature. The larger variety of lower level bad guys are great. Some block more, some grapple more, there is the slapper/jump kick ladies. There is the cheat to use super Axel and super Skate(Skate is very fun because he is very powerful but with the lack of reach he still feels balanced). Skates drill move in SOR 2 was better than the SOR 3 replacement crying slap attack. Shiva and Roo suck because they can't pick up weapons and Shiva has a lack of moves. The fat guys in SOR 1 enemies looked more scary and bad ass. It would have been better if they went more for that look. The slasher guys from SOR 1 were a great design also. They could have been brought back. The whip ladies look the worst in SOR 3 out of the whole series, although they looks little better in BK3. The Adam in one of the hacks was really cool and he stood on his own as far as being different from Axel. Another playable women would have been interesting. One that looked like Max would have been funny like the one in Power Instinct. If movies and games would show buff women people might be able to believe they could kick some ass like Mother Russia in Kick Ass 2.
    Last edited by EternalChampion; 02-11-2018 at 04:11 PM.

About Shiva not being able to pick up weapons: probably worth noting that in BK3 the character you'd unlock is Ash instead, and while he still has similar limitations, he's the strongest of all the characters.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    About Shiva not being able to pick up weapons: probably worth noting that in BK3 the character you'd unlock is Ash instead, and while he still has similar limitations, he's the strongest of all the characters.
    Well the worst part about Shiva and Roo not being able to pick up weapons is not that they can't use them. The bigger problem is that the enemies can so in order to get rid of it you have to try to pick it up a bunch of times until it disappears, while worrying about enemies at the same time.

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenHigh View Post
    And Zan is such a lame character. Is he supposed to be the strongbad/wrestler type? Why not just put Adam or Max in there? I like the strong Haggar guys in my bmups.
    Zan's my favorite! I also like the boss roster much better in BKIII.
    I do agree there are a some slight issues with pacing, where BKII just flowed much better (think of the elevator thing where u have to rescue the police captain... was it police captain?). To try to add to 'gameplay' variation. but meh give me some propah belt scrolling imo.

Musicwise... i would say just a notch under BKII though... I mean I prefer BKI OST over them both imo!

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    SOR3's extreme ramping up of the difficulty (in particular the damage that enemies do) is almost certainly another example of Sega of America trying to combat lost sales due to rentals. This has been talked about before by Treasure president Maegawa, who said he was told by SOA to make Dynamite Headdy more difficult so that people could not beat it in a single rental. Japan does not have video game rentals, by the way.
    yeah, more than a few experienced got borked this way. i remain a fan of victor ireland, but some games got entirely broken under this mindset, while stuff like silhouette mirage went from a joy to a complete slog.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I appreciate that a lot of beat-'em-ups are too easy, SOR 1&2 and Golden Axe 1&2 immediately spring to mind, but the likes of SOR3 and Final Fight CD went too far the other way and ended up being too tough I think. I can just about complete SOR3 but Final Fight CD kicks my arse every time. Still love it though.

Thread Information