Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW REPLACEMENT LONG BOX JEWEL CASES FOR THE SEGA CD, SEGA SATURN, PS1

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Yeah, when I was swapping cases the hinge hole was the big thing I ran into as well. And like you said, if the plastic is even just barely starting to be fragile/crack you need to be super careful slipping the hinge out or you can accidentally snap it. I love those longboxes, but man are they a pain in the butt to keep in tiptop shape sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Yeah, I got a response about bulk discount pricing, but I'm more interested from the simple standpoint that I know several indie game stores who would want these in stock. And they usually just deal with a distributor.
    Yep! I really don't think they need to follow the "limited run" format. They just need to keep the items in stock and allow the consumer (or business) to purchase them as need be.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    I know it is a long shot, but I hope they sell front/backs individually later on when all costs are recouped. I have so many great backs but a ton of broken fronts. Either way I see myself dropping $50+ the day they get released.
    This was my thought as well! If they started to sell the front's and back separately, I think this would peak alot more interest from those of us who own SEGA CD, PS1 or Saturn games!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Epyx's Avatar

I didn't know these were available anywhere, I could do with a few myself for the Sony Imagesoft releases.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I got a random PM the other day:

Quote Originally Posted by vgconline
    hey xelement5x
    I see you've made a couple entries about replacement sega cd / sega saturn cases
    I've been trying to get my registration to go through so I can make my own post but it seems to be held up....
    Would you be interested in letting people know they can now purchase replacement sega cd/saturn cases from me on amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Sega-Saturn-r...dp/B078M4Z18M/
    I can't comment on them personally since I have not purchased any, but a gentleman on Gaijinworks had and thought they were okay but not perfect.

His review:
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoDerek
    Alright, so my 10 pack came in today from the Amazon seller

First off Id say for the price quality isnt bad. In fact the black inner tray has the Compact Disc logo which is cool as the LRG ones wont have those (for obvious copyright reasons)

So far the only thing that doesnt feel right is that they dont have that "closed" feeling you get from original cases. Like when you close a real Saturn game there is a bit of snug tight feeling. These do not have that. The front part swings freely without actually feeling securely closed. Which to me is minor but important. Im hoping LRG at least gets that right. From what I can tell there is that little tiny ball at the bottom of the front part that fits into a small hole on the back part to give it a slightly secure feel without making it hard to open.
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoDerek View Post
    Update, the black trays also don't snap in like the originals. So they feel loose as well.

Overall these LOOK almost perfect but these 2 small functional issues kinda kill these for me.

- Front part lacks that snug closed feel when the case is shut
    - Inside black tray does not snap in, thus when backart is place in, its loose.

Limited run Games, please make sure yours have these 2 features as they are IMO massively important despite being quite minor physically.
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoDerek View Post
    To me it shows that the plastic molds are SLIGHTLY off. Not even by a lot. But I guess that can be expected with Chinese manufacturing. But even slightly off loses the satisfying secure closed/snapped in feel. Thus everything has a slightly loose feel to it.

I still think for most these are fine just for the shelf and what not.
    http://www.gaijinworks.com/interact/...l=1#post116245

Sounds like they are okay but still room for improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Gryson's Avatar

New article up on this:

http://archive.is/kIeBT

Limited Run paid $150,000 for the molds! They got taken...

It's not my place to say more on this, but I have heard that there is a third player soon to enter the Sega CD reproduction case market. I expect these cases to be cheaper than Limited Run's cases and of higher quality than VGCOnline's.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner avlon's Avatar

I hope that someone gets it right soon for a reasonable price. I have a few games that could definitely use the updated cases.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Limited Run paid $150,000 for the molds! They got taken...
    Getting molds made can be absurdly expensive. Especially if you want quality. VGCOnline went the cheap route and you can see how that panned out.

A mold is a huge piece of steel, many times bigger than the thing you are actually trying to make, and it has to be right down to the fraction of a milimeter, and also durable enough to have hundreds of thousands of pieces run through it. Not surprised at all about the 150k figure.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Gryson's Avatar

I'm familiar with mold making, and from talking to people who manufacture in China, it's possible to have a very high quality mold for something like a game case for $15,000-30,000. VGCOnline had his made for $8000 and was probably not strict enough with the factory (they will definitely half-ass it to reduce costs unless you emphasize quality). $150,000 is just obscene, but that's the cost of manufacturing in the US.

Wildside Expert

I've heard other complaints about the inside trays not locking into the rear of the case. Is it just the new inner trays that don't snap in, or has anyone tried using an original tray?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert StuOhQ's Avatar

That was an awesome read!

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Clone Contender? Retron 77 Atari Clone Console - Kit Reviews, Episode 7

Quote Originally Posted by redsox2013 View Post
    I've heard other complaints about the inside trays not locking into the rear of the case. Is it just the new inner trays that don't snap in, or has anyone tried using an original tray?
    The article states that the VGConline cases, allow the use of original inner trays and that they apparently fit in and snap in fine as they should. So yes, apparently people have used original inner trays with success on the remakes.

I know Jenovi did a video on these longboxes.

It seems they have some kinks that need to be worked out:

Please check out my YouTube channel

A bit off topic here, but I wonder if we ever get Jp and Pal ps1 fatbox replacement cases...

Wow, had no idea such a thing existed until just now. I'll probably get some myself. As for the complaints about them staying shut, I wouldn't write them off because of that. It would probably only require a slight modification. Since the nubs lack 1mm of reach, surely there'd be a way to bulk them up. There's a number of things you could try, including like maybe just a drop of putty or something and let it dry on the tips? Surely you'd get them to bite someway.

Shouldn't just assume that because something isn't perfect, it can't work. I'm in the box making biz myself, you just gotta make the best of what you have to work with. It's like people are still complaining about manual sag, and not realizing that window weather stripping at Lowes makes 1 to 1 perfect foam replacements that will protect your manuals.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    Wow, had no idea such a thing existed until just now. I'll probably get some myself. As for the complaints about them staying shut, I wouldn't write them off because of that. It would probably only require a slight modification. Since the nubs lack 1mm of reach, surely there'd be a way to bulk them up. There's a number of things you could try, including like maybe just a drop of putty or something and let it dry on the tips? Surely you'd get them to bite someway.

Shouldn't just assume that because something isn't perfect, it can't work. I'm in the box making biz myself, you just gotta make the best of what you have to work with. It's like people are still complaining about manual sag, and not realizing that window weather stripping at Lowes makes 1 to 1 perfect foam replacements that will protect your manuals.
    Can you share some images of these foam replacements?

Thread Information