Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nostalgia Nerd Thread

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    How much love and hate did the Sega CD get before James Rolfe did his AVGN character episode of it? The episode was done in 2007, brought to YouTube a year or two later. You can easily make 10 minutes of talking FMV games and that's it. Paints a bad picture of the system, which had a decent library of its own.

Never played a Turbografx-16 or CD system, but maybe why it doesn't get as much flak as Sega's add-on is not having all that FMV stuff.
    I think AVGN and similar youtubers have been unfairly damaging to Sega's reputation in general. The Sega CD was often stereotyped as an "FMV machine" before AVGN, though. It made sense that Sega focused advertising for live action FMV at the time to show it was a different format than with cartridges. But, once the backlash against FMV occurred, that tarnished the Sega CD's image despite it having plenty of great games that used the system's capabilities well. Also, the Sega CD also often gets thrown in the same category as the 32X as a "failed add on", which isn't fair either.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    I think AVGN and similar youtubers have been unfairly damaging to Sega's reputation in general. The Sega CD was often stereotyped as an "FMV machine" before AVGN, though. It made sense that Sega focused advertising for live action FMV at the time to show it was a different format than with cartridges. But, once the backlash against FMV occurred, that tarnished the Sega CD's image despite it having plenty of great games that used the system's capabilities well. Also, the Sega CD also often gets thrown in the same category as the 32X as a "failed add on", which isn't fair either.
    That's what happens when you have the retarded Nintendo fanbase and their revisionist agenda on YouTube. Can't even be a fan of anything on that site unless it's on Nintendo or a PC. It wouldn't have surprised me if there was some negativity towards the CD before Rolfe's fictional character episode.

You could say the Sega CD was a failed add on in a way I guess. It's not a wrong answer, but doesn't mean it's right either. It's home to recognized RPG's, Sonic CD, and a few handfuls of other titles that make it worth owning.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Amount of Sega CD consoles sold : 6 Million

Amount of people on youtube making reviews about how it was the worst console ever : 60 million

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

I only wish we could have had more games from Game Arts. These are the top 10 reader-rated Mega CD games from the Japanese magazine Beep MD:

1) Lunar: Eternal Blue - Game Arts
    2) Gambler Jiko Chuushinha 2 - Game Arts
    3) Silpheed - Game Arts
    4) Yumimi Mix - Game Arts
    5) Urusei Yatsura - Game Arts
    6) Mansion of Hidden Souls
    7) Lunar: Silver Star Story - Game Arts
    8) Winning Post
    9) Thunderhawk
    10) Tenka Fubu - Game Arts

7 of the top 10 MCD games in Japan were made by Game Arts! And only 3 of them left Japan. Of course, the others were really Japanese-centric games, but Game Arts was completely focused on the Japanese market. Could you imagine if they made games for the international market?

(Shining Force CD is 11, by the way.)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Kanon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Amount of Sega CD consoles sold : 6 Million

Amount of people on youtube making reviews about how it was the worst console ever : 60 million
    Isn't it supposed to be the best selling add on of all time? (the only one I think might have sold better is the Super Game Boy, being that the GB sold like crazy, but I have never found the numbers fot it, not even a rough estimate)

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

I wish I had a SEGA CD but pretty pricey for me. I'd love to have Lunar, Android Assault, Robo Aleste and others. People paint the SEGA CD as an FMV machine in a similar but less deserved fashion as Wii is painted with only having casual shovelware games. There is a lot of great 3rd party not just 1st party stuff on Wii and same with SEGA-CD. Some great games on SEGA CD, a lot of similar stuff you would find on Genesis itself just enhanced. I like AVGN but his exposure to games growing up seems very limited. Sure as a job he has plenty of stuff but that's less for him and more for his channel.

I dropped his Mega Man video as soon as he mentioned Legends. People who played the game love the game. IN his limited exposure as just being basically an NES only kid is oh this isn't exactly like Mega Man I like so it's bad because 2D games trying to be 3D in this era varied on success. What he doesn't understand is MML is not trying to be Mega Man NES in 3D. It's Legends, a spinoff. FMV on SEGA CD...it has a good amount of them sure but so did PC and PC continued to do so throughout the 90s and early 00s when Dreamcast was blowing our minds with Shenmue. Anyone remember Zachary Quinto in some Hospital game a patient in the early 2000s?

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    That's what happens when you have the retarded Nintendo fanbase and their revisionist agenda on YouTube.
    The pro-nintendo revisionist history is frustrating. People discard things like the six-button Genesis pads, when I knew plenty of people in the 90s with these pads on their genesis and they were even included with later models. They discard Konami, Sunsoft, Code Masters and Virgin Games' products on the Genesis which are superb, instead focusing on Capcom, RARE and Nintendo's own first party games, and act as if nothing could challenge them at all.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

He makes valid criticism of the Xbox One's UI - it's absolute horseshit. MS really dropped the ball in that department, this generation. Even the crappy previous XBONE dashboard was crap, but it was better than the garbage we've got now. PS4's on the other hand, not perfect, but miles better.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Thread Information