Quantcast

Thread: Super Off-Road

Default Super Off-Road

Like big trucks? Enjoy the thrill of massive machines slamming through mud and dirt in a frenzied competition to the finish line? Then look elsewhere, as Super Off-Road isn't the game for you. The tiny sprites and repetitive gameplay may have worked well in arcades, where pumping quarters to continue was good for business, but on the Genesis they paled compared to the greatness of racing classics like Micro Machines and OutRun. We've fired up the monster truck for a full review, so read on. Just be sure to stand clear as the mud flies.
    Last edited by Melf; 09-03-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Schwegmann's? I didn't know those things existed outside of Louisiana ...

I used to play Super Off-Road all the time back when it was popular. It was just about everywhere and it was always best with four players. The repetitiveness isn't nearly as obvious if you have four people all crowded around the same machine. One eventually was replaced with Indy Heat ... basically the same game but without the bumps and holes (and where's the fun in that?).

Without fail, every time I've ever played a home version of this, it's completely failed to capture the feel of the original. Some games were meant to stay in the arcade, IMO, and this is one of them.

I liked this game on the Master System... never played the Genesis version.

ps. how do I get that "site contributor" bar into my profile? For some reason I can't manage to accomplish that/

Everyone with ten reviews/features posted on the site gets it.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Wildside Expert

This reminds me of Rock 'n' Roll Racing.

Great, another game to get..*sigh*

Chenjesu of the Alliance Outrunner megabomberman's Avatar

I played this quite a bit when I was young but some how found it lacking. I think that the 4 is perhaps a bit harsh although the game is only average.... Also after a few hours it got very tedious
    "Age badly is something women do, games are good or bad when they are released. "

"It's like watching Runic stones by vikings here in Täby: not beautiful compared to Mona Lisa, but damn fine stuff for their time, as Phantasy Star II is, and that is why I enjoy it."

Zebbe speaks on the quality of how 16-bit games hold up against modern counterparts 28/07/07 beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by kylera

RnR Racing is in a completely different class from Super Off-Road. RnRR is a much, much better game.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

Thats some serious 80's hair on some of those bikini clad women.

Reminds me of how much I don't miss it.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raúl Julia...

Unfortunately this game came out after the SNES version... and this is one case where the SNES definitely anal-rapes the Genesis version without lube in every area, especially the music. The SNES version even has the old Toyota commercial theme (I love what you do for me... TOYOTA!), but not the singing, just the tune. That makes it rule. The Genesis version sounds like rusty tin cans being rubbed together.

Quote Originally Posted by 0x15e
    Schwegmann's? I didn't know those things existed outside of Louisiana ...
    They don't. I also agree it's one of those games best left in the arcades. A more sim-like option could have helped at home and make it unique and interesting, but then it'd be a completely different game.

Quote Originally Posted by kylera

Already beaten, but Super Off-Road is cannot compare to it and is an entirely different style of racing game. If you enjoyed Rock 'n' Roll Racing, look to Championship Pro-AM on Genesis or Galaxy 5000 on NES. If you want multi-player racing, then any of the Micro Machines games will do. I think it you find this game for $2 or under it might be worth that, since that's about how much money you'd put into an arcade version playing alone before losing interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    Oh hey, check that out. I did about a 5 second look for your profile in here to see where you're from but didn't see it. About the only thing I remember about Schwegmann's these days is how the one on Sherwood Forest Blvd. here in BR just stayed empty for years, like a decade or more ... that and it was just effing huge. Wal-Mart didn't even catch up to it for a long time.

</threadjack>

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    Already beaten, but Super Off-Road is cannot compare to it and is an entirely different style of racing game. If you enjoyed Rock 'n' Roll Racing, look to Championship Pro-AM on Genesis or Galaxy 5000 on NES. If you want multi-player racing, then any of the Micro Machines games will do. I think it you find this game for $2 or under it might be worth that, since that's about how much money you'd put into an arcade version playing alone before losing interest.
    I've been after a copy of Championship Pro-Am for about two years. Did it have a different name in Europe or have I just been unable to discover a copy?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Thread Information