Quantcast

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it really worth having a Sega CD?

Sega CD Is it really worth having a Sega CD?

I bought a broken Sega CD Model 2 off of ebay because of the cheap price of $45 it was going for and I fixed it myself. It was the simple PICO fuse replacement fix and it booted up just fine afterwards. The laser and spindle work surprisingly great, and the condition of it is in excellent shape, almost like brand new, certainly better than any other Sega CD I've ever used in the past.

But I've never really been a big fan of the Sega CD. I've had at least 4 Sega CDs come and go my way (including one Model 1 that I didn't get to test out). A lot of its games that I have an interest in have been ported to other consoles (Lunar for example). Also, it seems like an inconvenience to have it hooked up because of how wide it is, and I don't like that the metal piece for the bottom of the Genesis stays stuck on it (inconvenient for if I want to quickly have the Genesis hooked up just on its own). I dislike the Model 1 far more because of the high maintenance.

Ever since I got it though, I've been debating on whether I should keep it or sell it back on ebay, but the value of Sega CD Model 2s on ebay have plummeted since the holiday season so it wouldn't be very worthwhile for me now, especially with all the damn fees. Also tbh, I'd actually be kind of disappointed to see it go if I did eventually sell it because of how great its condition is.

Should I just keep it? I do like Mortal Kombat, Final Fight CD, Ecco the Dolphin, Sonic Mega Mix, and a few other games on it. Has Shining Force CD been ported to any other platform? I know it's on the Genesis but of course I'm aware that it's supposedly better for the Sega CD, but I haven't really played either versions. I will admit, it is useful to have for Pier Solar and Chilly Willy's 32X port of Wolfenstein 3D.

Any opinions? Should I just hold onto it?
    Last edited by roadkill; 02-03-2018 at 03:14 AM.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

snatcher
    lunar eternal blue
    third world war
    dune
    road avenger
    terminator
    both ecco games
    sonic cd
    rise of the dragon
    popful mail
    dark wizard
    vay
    final fight cd
    pitfal
    mickey mania
    BC racers
    spider-man vs kingpin
    thunderhawk
    shining force cd
    chuck rock 2
    mansion of hidden souls
    keio flying squadron
    silpheed
    eternal champions
    earthworm jim
    robo aleste
    lords of thunder
    soulstar

all games here are either exclusive or have a (far)superior version on the sega cd and are really worth it.

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

Keep it, as this is good fortune. There are plenty of good Sega CD games, but many people never got to try them due to the high cost of the unit when it was new. The Sega CD units will only become less and less common over time.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Insert socially-unacceptable pejorative replacement for "Youtube" here.

Thanks for the replies, it has made me think more of keeping it. I also just can't get over how good its condition is too.

And wow, that list has a lot of games I didn't even know about or forgot about. I totally forgot that there's a Lunar sequel on Sega CD. I have the first one on PS1 but I think the sequel on PS1 costs way too much (I can of course just simply burn it for the Sega CD )

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Well, personally I get great enjoyment out of playing my Model1 Genesis + Model 1 CD. It has great early-90's nostalgia for me, but it also has superb 16-bit 2d experiences. The CD audio, the more clear sound FX, the extended levels, the scaling, heck even that boot-up music really puts me in a retro mood.

My twin model1 setup gives me great bassy sound which also is higher gain than running the sound directly out of the Genesis, and I can use the Genesis headphone slider to customize each game's sound FX vs CD music level. But even when I used to play my Model 2 hookup, although I lost a bit of the cool sound customization, I still enjoyed the games.

The CD versions of Batman Returns, Cliffhanger, Robo Aleste, Eternal Champions, Jurassic Park are all unique to Sega CD or have scaling segments unique to the CD.

Best versions like NHL 94, Hook, Mickey Mania and Pitfall the Mayan Adventure - after becoming used to these versions, playing Genesis or SNES versions are lacking . The slight load times dont bother me. And playing these games on Retro PIE still don't seem as fun as original hardware, the PIE uses HDMI which clunk up the pixels too much and the sound although accurate loses its authenticity.

But if you don't feel the same, I can see you discarding the big clunky piece of Hardware, no shame if you don't enjoy it.

Can't make any promises but I'll try to resolve all of your questions to some of the more inquisitive threads you've made:

• Is it really worth having a Sega CD?
    • Is this power supply safe to use for the Sega CD-X?
    • Why won't Sonic 2 & Knuckles boot on my Mega EverDrive X5?
    • Why does the Model 2 VA4 have a lot background noise during silence?
    • Why is the Super Retro Advance for the SNES impossible to find?
    • What if the Saturn was never released and it was up to the 32X?
    • Why don't multi-carts work on real Sega Genesis consoles?
    • Why does the Mega EverDrive X7 still have an in-game menu?
    • Why is S-Video always so undermined?
    • Why would anyone replace the DIN port with an S-Video port?!
    • Why no GBC adapter for the SNES?
    • Is the Everdrive-GB worth getting?
    • How rare is the Genesis 2 VA2.3?
    • Is this a good Sega Genesis Model 2 VA3?

Answer: Yes Roadkill, it really is worth having a Sega CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    Well, personally I get great enjoyment out of playing my Model1 Genesis + Model 1 CD. It has great early-90's nostalgia for me, but it also has superb 16-bit 2d experiences. The CD audio, the more clear sound FX, the extended levels, the scaling, heck even that boot-up music really puts me in a retro mood.
    I'm going to have to say almost the same thing with me about the Model 2, it gives a mid-90s nostalgia when my cousin bought a Model 2 Genesis + Model 2 CD when it was cheaper right before the 32-bit consoles came out. Just the BIOS music alone is great and is very nostalgic for me, but I also like booting up the Model 1 BIOS from my Mega EverDrive every now and then for the better music and better Sega logo animations.

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    Can't make any promises but I'll try to resolve all of your questions to some of the more inquisitive threads you've made:

• Is it really worth having a Sega CD?
    • Is this power supply safe to use for the Sega CD-X?
    • Why won't Sonic 2 & Knuckles boot on my Mega EverDrive X5?
    • Why does the Model 2 VA4 have a lot background noise during silence?
    • Why is the Super Retro Advance for the SNES impossible to find?
    • What if the Saturn was never released and it was up to the 32X?
    • Why don't multi-carts work on real Sega Genesis consoles?
    • Why does the Mega EverDrive X7 still have an in-game menu?
    • Why is S-Video always so undermined?
    • Why would anyone replace the DIN port with an S-Video port?!
    • Why no GBC adapter for the SNES?
    • Is the Everdrive-GB worth getting?
    • How rare is the Genesis 2 VA2.3?
    • Is this a good Sega Genesis Model 2 VA3?

Answer: Yes Roadkill, it really is worth having a Sega CD.
    Wow that's quite a bit of nostalgia for me from this message board. I didn't realize I made so many topics that start with "Why"

Everyone thank you for your replies, but I just sold my Sega CD. I'm just going to use my Wii to play my Sega CD games if I ever have the desire to, which is quite convenient since I can fit them all on my Wii's 32GB class 10 SD card.

Despite all those great titles mentioned, I just don't have any real attachment to the Sega CD like I do with my NES, SNES, Genesis w/ 32X and PS2/PS1.

Last edited by roadkill; 02-03-2018 at 07:24 PM.

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

𝕿𝖍𝖔𝖚 𝖆𝖗𝖙 𝖆 𝖐𝖓𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆 𝖛𝖆𝖌𝖆𝖇𝖔𝖓𝖉, 𝖆𝖓𝖉
    𝖙𝖍𝖔𝖚 𝖆𝖗𝖙 𝖓𝖔𝖙 𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖊 𝖒𝖔𝖔𝖗𝖎𝖘𝖍 𝖈𝖔𝖒𝖕𝖆𝖓𝖎𝖔𝖓.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Insert socially-unacceptable pejorative replacement for "Youtube" here.

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    𝕿𝖍𝖔𝖚 𝖆𝖗𝖙 𝖆 𝖐𝖓𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆 𝖛𝖆𝖌𝖆𝖇𝖔𝖓𝖉, 𝖆𝖓𝖉
    𝖙𝖍𝖔𝖚 𝖆𝖗𝖙 𝖓𝖔𝖙 𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖊 𝖒𝖔𝖔𝖗𝖎𝖘𝖍 𝖈𝖔𝖒𝖕𝖆𝖓𝖎𝖔𝖓.
    Hehe, I like the font.

Sorry! I just don't like having a Sega CD attached to my Genesis consoles. I always feel like the thing is going to break any moment, even if it's in tip top shape. I hate the loading noises it makes and the 1X speed.
    When it comes to early '90s CD players/CD-ROM drives, I don't trust like that.

After I removed my Model 2 Genesis from the Model 2 CD, it fit nice and snug on my desk in between both my TVs, instead of taking up almost half of my desk space (you can see my Genesis 2 in my video fitting perfectly in the left corner). Somebody should make a nice, small size FPGA Sega CD that has a special BIOS to load .bin/.cue files from microSD cards.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    After I removed my Model 2 Genesis from the Model 2 CD, it fit nice and snug on my desk in between both my TVs, instead of taking up almost half of my desk space (you can see my Genesis 2 in my video fitting perfectly in the left corner).
    Small footprint. Perfect space saver.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again, like the Jews re-establish their Israeli, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Henry View Post
    Small footprint. Perfect space saver.

Exactly. A friend of mine just recently saved up enough money to buy a Sega CD-X because he just did not have the space (nor enough outlets) for either a Model 1 or Model 2 Sega CD along with his Model 1 Genesis. He barely even had space for his Model 1 Genesis alone. He's been having a blast with his Sega CD-X ever since he got it, tells me it has such a small footprint in his entertainment center and fits perfectly alongside with his Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast (he's a big fan of Sega).

But also, I just didn't grow up enough with a Sega CD and the nostalgia for it is barely there for me. Despite its impressive library, there's just no game on it that makes me think "I must have a Sega CD!"
    So I'm not going to spend the high cost for a CD-X either, although I do think it's really freakin' cool for being that small.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

It is nice but the video out on it's a bit crappy, tolerable, but crappy.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    Just standard AV or via RGB? Regarding the latter, looks good to me. I'm no "videophile", though.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again, like the Jews re-establish their Israeli, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans.

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Henry View Post
    Just standard AV or via RGB? Regarding the latter, looks good to me. I'm no "videophile", though.
    My buddy has had no complaints, even after I told him he will be downgrading from the S-Video mod I put on his Model 1 Genesis.

Thread Information