Quantcast

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Is it really worth having a Sega CD?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Jake Armitage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I never really give it the time of the day. Reading you post makes me regret that now.
    For its time it was a really amazing game (if you liked the srpg genre) - I have played lots of them and nothing in the retro era comes close to its complexity. Another strategy game well worth looking into is Nectaris for the PS1. Brigandine (also PS1) is another favorite of mine - although people seem to either really like it or hold it in disdain - doesn't seem to be much middle ground on it for some reason.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    For its time it was a really amazing game (if you liked the srpg genre) - I have played lots of them and nothing in the retro era comes close to its complexity. Another strategy game well worth looking into is Nectaris for the PS1. Brigandine (also PS1) is another favorite of mine - although people seem to either really like it or hold it in disdain - doesn't seem to be much middle ground on it for some reason.
    I'm gutted really. I got the game not long after it came out in the USA when I was on holiday in San Fransico and I just didn't really give it the time of day as I came back with 20 SEGA CD games and shamefully didn't give it the time of day, found the start of the game rather complex and slow.
    Reading what you said really makes me regret that now
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

I'm gutted really. I got the game not long after it came out in the USA when I was on holiday in San Fransico and I just didn't really give it the time of day as I came back with 20 SEGA CD games and shamefully didn't give it the time of day, found the start of the game rather complex and slow.
    Reading what you said really makes me regret that now
    The first battle especially can be painful/confusing/frustrating since it basically seems that you are haphazardly throwing units in with no idea what they can do or what they will be able to do. And you can't afford many hired units at first - but in any event when first hired they are pretty weak since they need to be promoted to begin getting their capabilities.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    The first battle especially can be painful/confusing/frustrating since it basically seems that you are haphazardly throwing units in with no idea what they can do or what they will be able to do. And you can't afford many hired units at first - but in any event when first hired they are pretty weak since they need to be promoted to begin getting their capabilities.
    It was for me and just coming back from the USA with 20 SEGA CD's games I simply had too much choice and didn't give the ones that grabbed me at the start any chance. I'm gutted now, after what you said and it looks like I missed out on a gem. I still have the game, but I can't see me trying to get back into it now.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

It was for me and just coming back from the USA with 20 SEGA CD's games I simply had too much choice and didn't give the ones that grabbed me at the start any chance. I'm gutted now, after what you said and it looks like I missed out on a gem. I still have the game, but I can't see me trying to get back into it now.
    I pretty much had to stick it out since (IIRC) it was one of the two games I bought when I got my first sega cd. The other was the first Lunar which I played through and then just had Dark Wizard. The first playthrough was kinda patchy but had begun to make enough sense to make me want to play it again (and again and again!) - there is enough going on so you discover new stuff for a very long time. But if I had not resisted the urge to throw a controller at the tv with that game whenever I couldn't figure out what was happening (or more often not happening) I would have gone broke replacing controllers.

If you ever give it another shot I can give you some tips (not spoilers per se) to make the game play smoother (like how and where to get money - Cheshire is a very expensive place to live) and can explain some of the mechanics that aren't self evident along the way.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; 09-25-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Thread Information