Quantcast

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Is it really worth having a Sega CD?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    This was a time before eBay and where Mega CD's units would go for like 10 in the local market
    I'm crying right now.

I like to keep at least 2 Mega CD set ups going at all times not just to show my love of SEGA, but more because Sensible Soccer (World Of Soccer) on its own takes up a whole Mega CD memory and Shining Force CD takes up like another Mega CD worth of RAM.
    Why not use a backup RAM cart?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Jake Armitage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yohko16 View Post
    I'm crying right now.

Also (unless the PAL Sega CD has more onboard memory than the NTSC one) you need a ram cart in order to play all 4 books of the Shining Force CD game.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    Also (unless the PAL Sega CD has more onboard memory than the NTSC one) you need a ram cart in order to play all 4 books of the Shining Force CD game.
    Exactly why I needed to get a new RAM cart for my Mega CD recently. I can't fully enjoy and complete Shining Force CD without one.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yohko16 View Post
    I'm crying right now.

Well, that was the case, You could also pick up the SEGA Power Arcade stick 1 and II for less than a 10 in those great days in the local market (before eBay and people knew what price they were actually worth). And the trouble with games like Sensible Soccer or Shining Force, is unlike with SONIC CD there is no inbuilt RAM feature in the game options memu and you have to use the options screen on the Mega CD it's self to move game saves. Which is a pain and when you play Sensi, it wipes over any non Sesni save as it loads in.. Which I found to my cost when I 1st got the demo of the game and it wipped my Lunar and Sonic CD saves. And me and my mate still love to play Sesni and we have all the current players and teams of the English Prem edied into the game that we update each year (yes we are, that sad)
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Rural South Wales, in a tiny ex-mining village
    ah ok. from what little I could see behind your window it seemed a bit like west-midlands but I was close :P

isn't it boring there in rural south wales?

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    ah ok. from what little I could see behind your window it seemed a bit like west-midlands but I was close :P

isn't it boring there in rural south wales?
    Yeah, buts its nice borning and I'm only 20 miles away from the Big City (Cardiff) It's a cheap place to live and great to walk the dog. The only bad parts are no public transport after 6 pm and terrible roads. But still I love it here

[
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Get a saturn, epoxy it to the side of your model 2 genesis

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Yeah, buts its nice borning and I'm only 20 miles away from the Big City (Cardiff) It's a cheap place to live and great to walk the dog. The only bad parts are no public transport after 6 pm and terrible roads. But still I love it here

[
    yes, looks very nice. I love hills. I can't stand not living in a larger city though. I'm too used to all the facilities they have. fortunately my city and surrounding is very hilly as well, especially for dutch proportions

my dad lived in ireland and scotland and has been a lot in the uk in his life. I've been there myself, but it always reminds me of my dad and how he loved it. I love it as well.

edit: lol when I look for pictures of my city/surrounding I always get carried away.
    Last edited by bultje112; 09-15-2018 at 06:55 PM.

With views like that who can blame you.

I was playing the Mega CD the other day and have to say That Battle Corps is an overlooked and underrated gem. Its such a brilliant Mech game with amazing visuals and music
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Wildside Expert

This thread makes me want to give the Sega CD a second try. I tried Sonic CD awhile back, was not impressed at all, the stages are a mess. I had Ecco for PC and loved it, the controls feel fluid once you get used to them.

Main thing I didn't like about CD games back in the day was the horrible loading time, I guess today if I copy the disc to an ISO and play in Fusion that won't be an issue.

You should try some of the other games like Batman Returns, Lunar, Popful Mail, Battle Corps, Wing Commander, Lunar 2, Rise Of the Dragon, Third World War. Games which really used the system
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

You should try some of the other games like Batman Returns, Lunar, Popful Mail, Battle Corps, Wing Commander, Lunar 2, Rise Of the Dragon, Third World War. Games which really used the system
    Don't overlook Dark Wizard if you are into strategy games - kind of a cross between the old Genesis game Master of Monsters and the early Shining Force games - except on steroids. Truly a masterpiece despite a few flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    Don't overlook Dark Wizard if you are into strategy games - kind of a cross between the old Genesis game Master of Monsters and the early Shining Force games - except on steroids. Truly a masterpiece despite a few flaws.
    Never could get into that one, but it was very well made and looked to use the Mega CD.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Never could get into that one, but it was very well made and looked to use the Mega CD.
    One of the flaws is that the documentation it comes with is extremely poor (to the point of being pathetic) so when one first plays it the first time it is very confusing since you really don't have a clue what is going on. And to get the maximum enjoyment from the game you need to start planning fairly early what you want your army to look like for later in the game. Any units that die in battle will be resurrected for the next battle but if you later decide to replace them the new units start at the bottom of the experience chain. (To a certain extent you will need to replace units early in the game - at first you have to rely on summoned creatures and as you get more money you can hire more mercenary units.)

You almost need to play the game at least once to understand the mechanics - subsequent playthroughs get more and more enjoyable as you understand what is going on and can focus more on the many secrets and side quests of the game. And the game is very amenable to trying different things - I tend to favor armies composed of mostly elfs - while they generally can't be armed as heavily as dwarves and humans they move amazingly fast (especially in forest expanses). You have 4 different races of mercenaries available with three different classes and three different alignments (chaos, lawful and neutral) along with 4 different rosters of summoned creatures (one roster for each of 4 possible rulers). The game is not for everyone but if you like strategy games this is pretty much the grand daddy for retro consoles.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; 09-21-2018 at 01:29 PM.

I never really give it the time of the day. Reading you post makes me regret that now.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information