Quantcast

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Is it really worth having a Sega CD?

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    Oh you did see my post before it was deleted huh? Yeah, during the times that I have a Sega CD, I just simply burn the games. I'm not wasting a lot of money on games that I don't really have any interest in, despite how renowned the Sega CD library is.
    I only buy the games I want to play and have an interest in. I won't waste money on shite but I will pay good money for a game that I really want and that is in excellent condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    I own both versions so the next chance I get I will try to pin it down by comparison...if I can!
    Have you had a chance to sit down and play the 2?

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

You sure the PCM on your Mega CD wasn't bust, neids16?

Though I prefer the original 'scratchy' SOR samples myself, the rerecorded Mega CD versions are pretty soft and ineffectual in comparison - pretty much the opposite of ear-bleeding, in fact.

Just as an aside, there is also a slight pause in the cartridge version between enemy waves, maybe that's what you're referring to? Either way I might have to check out a YT vid or two to refresh my memory.

EDIT: https://youtu.be/Udsh4SzwPIw

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    You sure the PCM on your Mega CD wasn't bust, nieds16?
    I'm not sure. Everything else I've heard come from it gave no cause for concern. This was a few years ago though and i don't have the sega cd anymore nor the game so there really isn't any way to know.

As for the video you linked, how would you ever know what it sounds like if they are playing both games at once though I guess I could trust a video vs a personal comparison just as well so I looked at some of the other videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4VQHV6hGJ0 start at minute 4:36. I stand by my assessment. That sounds like nails on a chalk board.

Yeah I dunno what was up with that video, it's meant to have one machine through the left speaker and the other through the right.

Quote Originally Posted by nieds16 View Post
    Have you had a chance to sit down and play the 2?
    Yes and I feel it does play ever so slightly slower than the cart version. Not in any particular area, and it's only very slight, but I do feel it's slower. Oh and I see what you mean about the female screams in the Mega CD version. I had my headphones in and it was approaching nails on a chalkboard territory.

So Golden Axe is one player only and if you're on the money re: game speed, SOR runs slower than the cart version. Another reason not to own the Arcade Classics disc

I had considered picking up the Japanese version in the past since it can be acquired for next to nothing, but really I'd rather buy a pint with that money instead and settle on playing the cart versions - I can think of better ways to wear my Mega CD laser down!

I do like the game select screen with the natty orchestral music though.
    Last edited by OverDrone; 03-17-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    So Golden Axe is one player only and if you're on the money re: game speed, SOR runs slower than the cart version. Another reason not to own the Arcade Classics disc

I had considered picking up the Japanese version in the past since it can be acquired for next to nothing, but really I'd rather buy a pint with that money instead and settle on playing the cart versions - I can think of better ways to wear my Mega CD laser down!

I do like the game select screen with the natty orchestral music though.
    Well if you consider it to be a basically slightly enhanced Mega Games 2, with a couple of bonus games thrown in, and you don't already own the cart versions of Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage and Golden Axe, then it's definitely worth getting. If however you have those carts already (or own Mega Games 2) then it really isn't worth it. Especially not when the Golden Axe port is only one player.
    Last edited by Mega Drive Bowlsey; 03-18-2018 at 05:24 PM.

I've been tapping into the Sega CD in 2018 and I've been surprised by some of the games. There are enough good games to make having a Sega CD worth while. The two games I've put a lot of time into so far are Popful Mail and Lunar. Both are excellent.

Even some of the ports like Ecco are neat with real audio. ...But I still feel really clumby's driving Ecco around.

I've seen BC Racers make a few list. Is it actually a good game? The music is terrible!

I keep forgetting that Pier Solar has the audio CD option. That gives me another reason to play it again someday.
    Sega Dude

Visit me @ Retro Megabit

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by thesegadude View Post
    I keep forgetting that Pier Solar has the audio CD option. That gives me another reason to play it again someday.
    Please do it. It sounds much better than the FM soundtrack. TBH, I cannot stand the FM version, IMHO it sounds hollow. And this is coming from someone who loves FM.

Nothing else like it.

Thread Information