Quantcast

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 156

Thread: Is it really worth having a Sega CD?

  1. #136
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Jake Armitage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    232
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I never really give it the time of the day. Reading you post makes me regret that now.
    For its time it was a really amazing game (if you liked the srpg genre) - I have played lots of them and nothing in the retro era comes close to its complexity. Another strategy game well worth looking into is Nectaris for the PS1. Brigandine (also PS1) is another favorite of mine - although people seem to either really like it or hold it in disdain - doesn't seem to be much middle ground on it for some reason.

  2. #137
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,004
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    For its time it was a really amazing game (if you liked the srpg genre) - I have played lots of them and nothing in the retro era comes close to its complexity. Another strategy game well worth looking into is Nectaris for the PS1. Brigandine (also PS1) is another favorite of mine - although people seem to either really like it or hold it in disdain - doesn't seem to be much middle ground on it for some reason.
    I'm gutted really. I got the game not long after it came out in the USA when I was on holiday in San Fransico and I just didn't really give it the time of day as I came back with 20 SEGA CD games and shamefully didn't give it the time of day, found the start of the game rather complex and slow.
    Reading what you said really makes me regret that now
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  3. #138
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Jake Armitage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    232
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I'm gutted really. I got the game not long after it came out in the USA when I was on holiday in San Fransico and I just didn't really give it the time of day as I came back with 20 SEGA CD games and shamefully didn't give it the time of day, found the start of the game rather complex and slow.
    Reading what you said really makes me regret that now
    The first battle especially can be painful/confusing/frustrating since it basically seems that you are haphazardly throwing units in with no idea what they can do or what they will be able to do. And you can't afford many hired units at first - but in any event when first hired they are pretty weak since they need to be promoted to begin getting their capabilities.

  4. #139
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,004
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    The first battle especially can be painful/confusing/frustrating since it basically seems that you are haphazardly throwing units in with no idea what they can do or what they will be able to do. And you can't afford many hired units at first - but in any event when first hired they are pretty weak since they need to be promoted to begin getting their capabilities.
    It was for me and just coming back from the USA with 20 SEGA CD's games I simply had too much choice and didn't give the ones that grabbed me at the start any chance. I'm gutted now, after what you said and it looks like I missed out on a gem. I still have the game, but I can't see me trying to get back into it now.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  5. #140
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Jake Armitage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    232
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    It was for me and just coming back from the USA with 20 SEGA CD's games I simply had too much choice and didn't give the ones that grabbed me at the start any chance. I'm gutted now, after what you said and it looks like I missed out on a gem. I still have the game, but I can't see me trying to get back into it now.
    I pretty much had to stick it out since (IIRC) it was one of the two games I bought when I got my first sega cd. The other was the first Lunar which I played through and then just had Dark Wizard. The first playthrough was kinda patchy but had begun to make enough sense to make me want to play it again (and again and again!) - there is enough going on so you discover new stuff for a very long time. But if I had not resisted the urge to throw a controller at the tv with that game whenever I couldn't figure out what was happening (or more often not happening) I would have gone broke replacing controllers.


    If you ever give it another shot I can give you some tips (not spoilers per se) to make the game play smoother (like how and where to get money - Cheshire is a very expensive place to live) and can explain some of the mechanics that aren't self evident along the way.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; 09-25-2018 at 10:31 AM.

  6. #141
    Master of Shinobi Segadream's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,213
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    I have essentially 7 of them.
    So this is a no-question for me.
    But I can't speak for those who don't have one.
    There is a easy way to test it out if you go the modded x-box route.
    But it still makes my heart beat at ease knowing
    I still have an original model 2 for that authentic feel.

  7. #142
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I can't make my own thread yet so I thought I'd ask in this thread...I recently picked up an almost complete Sega CD Model 1 after years of searching for a very clean box/decent priced one. Only thing it was missing was the WTTNL band that wrapped around the CD games and the $1000 Music Sweepstakes Registration Card. I recreated the band but want to know if anyone has the original registration card that came with it. All i need to see is if its the same ones that were in the back of some game manuals like Ecco the dolphin where it had the same text like "register your software" or if it actually said "register your hardware" on the one that came with the Sega CD console. Can't find any pics anywhere except for a couple Ebay sales but they never replied back when I asked them to please share a pic of the reg cards they had but folded so I couldn't see what the card said.

  8. #143
    WCPO Agent roadkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    902
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I might just pick up another Sega CD Model 2 to go along with my Model 2 Genesis after all. The prices for it have dwindled, especially broken ones that I can fix. Just wish there was an easier way to switch between 32X and SMS mode, it's inconvenient to have to have to take out the 32X just to to play SMS games on my Mega EverDrive X5 and I don't have the funds nor the space to go out and buy a Master System and a Master EverDrive.

  9. #144
    AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    969
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Use a second Genesis, problem solved.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

  10. #145
    Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,885
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    So in summing up, yes it is worth it because the Mega CD is fucking awesome!

  11. #146
    WCPO Agent roadkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    902
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    So in summing up, yes it is worth it because the Mega CD is fucking awesome!
    I've done that for my 32X. I was using an S-Video to VGA upscaler up until I just received the RetroTINK 2X recently. My 32X has S-Video output but strangely the colors are off when I use it with a Genesis Model 2 VA4 though, I have no problems with it when using a VA0 with fixed audio though.

  12. #147
    Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,273
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    I was thinking recently how Sega CD is one of those things that needs to be considered WITHIN its own time-period, to really understand the appeal.

    It was the time that CD-players themselves were still very rare, expensive, exciting, etc.

    Stereos were big and expensive, and even portable CD players were expensive, like over $100 IIRC.

    So yeah SCD was expensive, just like everything that could play CD's at the time.

    I bet a home stereo would probably cost about the same amount as SCD, a few hundred bucks, so that's probably how its cost should be considered. Equivalent to buying a stereo.

    Plus, it seemed relevant when CD's and CD players were new and exciting and rare, plus no one knew quite what the SCD could do to improve Genesis games.

    So it was super exciting and relevant at the time IMO.

    It's hard to consider it that way, now that CD's have been common forever, and CD-players have been standard (and "free") in everyone's computers forever, too.

  13. #148
    AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    969
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Currently, it's a bit of a pain in the ass to get an optical drive in a computer, since so many cases eschew 5.25" bays.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

  14. #149
    Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,561
    Rep Power
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    I was thinking recently how Sega CD is one of those things that needs to be considered WITHIN its own time-period, to really understand the appeal.

    It was the time that CD-players themselves were still very rare, expensive, exciting, etc.

    Stereos were big and expensive, and even portable CD players were expensive, like over $100 IIRC.

    So yeah SCD was expensive, just like everything that could play CD's at the time.

    I bet a home stereo would probably cost about the same amount as SCD, a few hundred bucks, so that's probably how its cost should be considered. Equivalent to buying a stereo.

    Plus, it seemed relevant when CD's and CD players were new and exciting and rare, plus no one knew quite what the SCD could do to improve Genesis games.

    So it was super exciting and relevant at the time IMO.

    It's hard to consider it that way, now that CD's have been common forever, and CD-players have been standard (and "free") in everyone's computers forever, too.
    I bought the CDX as soon as it came out for $400 CAD, which was the same price as a Sony Discman at the time. I used the CDX as a discman and a game console.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

  15. #150
    Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest USA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,290
    Rep Power
    69

    Default

    Yeah, an similarly the SegaCD was my first CD player as well. I ran the AV out of mine into the AUX of an old 8-track I found in the trash but it worked so I didn't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 12 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 12 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •