Quantcast

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Is it really worth having a Sega CD?

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

i wholly understand people not wanting to pay the current pricetags on sega-cd classics (not as bad as the saturn scene, but it's been getting worse every year)

a less savory man would remind you that the sega-CD entirely lacks copyright protection, and by, say, burning Shining Force CD, Snatcher, Popful Mail, Space Adventure Cobra etc rather than spending hundreds upon hundreds to line the pockets of an ebay reseller, you're not really committing a moral harm & actually enjoying the art created, but fortunately i'm a man of superior moral fiber

haha i'm not that dude, go nuts

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Nintari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    i wholly understand people not wanting to pay the current pricetags on sega-cd classics (not as bad as the saturn scene, but it's been getting worse every year)

a less savory man would remind you that the sega-CD entirely lacks copyright protection, and by, say, burning Shining Force CD, Snatcher, Popful Mail, Space Adventure Cobra etc rather than spending hundreds upon hundreds to line the pockets of an ebay reseller, you're not really committing a moral harm & actually enjoying the art created, but fortunately i'm a man of superior moral fiber

I'm not 100% sure but I think I remember reading that playing CD-R is harder on the laser so, I have always refrained from even attempting it. But even if that wasn't true, I don't really want to go down that road due to the legality and other reasons. There's just something nicer about having the real thing on your shelf too.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Nintari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    I completely agree. I've built myself quite a decent selection of Mega CD titles but Snatcher still eludes me. I've been wanting it for years now but can't justify the price it commands. I'm prepared to pay high to get my hands on a very good condition PAL copy, but I'm not prepared to pay 200+ type high!
    I had a Sega CD system back in 1993, sold it stupidly as a kid to purchase a newer system before rebuying it again in the early 2000's. Back then, "retro" wasn't "in" and I was able to get one for under $40.00. The games were all dirt cheap as well.

But then my ex wife happened... and she sold all my video game consoles without my knowledge or permission and so, I had to go out and get all my stuff again. Can you imagine my surprise when I went on Ebay and saw that Sega CD was around $200.00? lol The price increase has gone through the roof!

I'm still determined to get the best games though but, yeah, it'll be one here or there. Unless I win the lotto or something like that.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nintari View Post
    I'm not 100% sure but I think I remember reading that playing CD-R is harder on the laser so, I have always refrained from even attempting it. But even if that wasn't true, I don't really want to go down that road due to the legality and other reasons. There's just something nicer about having the real thing on your shelf too.
    I agree you can't beat having the original, but if you burn at the right speed and also buy decent bacl discs you'll not have much of an issue with the Model 2 Mega CD. I wouldn't like to play a copy on the Model 1 or Multi Mega systems though. Also one can get the Japanese versions which are much cheaper too, if one must have an original copy
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

I completely agree. I've built myself quite a decent selection of Mega CD titles but Snatcher still eludes me. I've been wanting it for years now but can't justify the price it commands. I'm prepared to pay high to get my hands on a very good condition PAL copy, but I'm not prepared to pay 200+ type high!
    Yeah its nuts and to think I got it from Gameplay for 30 back inthe day too. The Price of Pal Adv Of Batman & Robin is nuts too.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I had a Sega CD system back in 1993, sold it stupidly as a kid to purchase a newer system before rebuying it again in the early 2000's. Back then, "retro" wasn't "in" and I was able to get one for under $40.00. The games were all dirt cheap as well.

But then my ex wife happened... and she sold all my video game consoles without my knowledge or permission and so, I had to go out and get all my stuff again. Can you imagine my surprise when I went on Ebay and saw that Sega CD was around $200.00? lol The price increase has gone through the roof!

I'm still determined to get the best games though but, yeah, it'll be one here or there. Unless I win the lotto or something like that.
    I never owned a Mega CD as a kid and later got myself one for very cheap back in 2003. I've been slowly building my collection up ever since and very happy with what I do have. Snatcher will have to wait for now.

Copies are not for me personally, my collection is comprised of good condition CIB games and it will remain so.

I never owned a Mega CD as a kid and later got myself one for very cheap back in 2003. I've been slowly building my collection up ever since and very happy with what I do have. Snatcher will have to wait for now.

Copies are not for me personally, my collection is comprised of good condition CIB games and it will remain so.
    Most Mega CD games still come in at a lower price point than on their original retail price back in the day. Also sometimes just look around, The USA version of Adv Of Batman & Robin is far cheaper and easier to get than the Pal version and the Japanese version of Space Cobra is far easier and cheaper to get too and if you must play in English just copy the english version, while buying the Jp version to add to the collection
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

I agree you can't beat having the original, but if you burn at the right speed and also buy decent bacl discs you'll not have much of an issue with the Model 2 Mega CD. I wouldn't like to play a copy on the Model 1 or Multi Mega systems though. Also one can get the Japanese versions which are much cheaper too, if one must have an original copy
    ^this - always burn at the right (usually low) speed and use high quality media!

I hope this doesn't sound like an asshole comment, but I can see why things might not have worked. I would freak out.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Most Mega CD games still come in at a lower price point than on their original retail price back in the day. Also sometimes just look around, The USA version of Adv Of Batman & Robin is far cheaper and easier to get than the Pal version and the Japanese version of Space Cobra is far easier and cheaper to get too and if you must play in English just copy the english version, while buying the Jp version to add to the collection
    Really, the Japanese version of "Space Cobra" is easier to find and cheaper? I'd love to see a photo of the copy in your collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Really, the Japanese version of "Space Cobra" is easier to find and cheaper? I'd love to see a photo of the copy in your collection.
    Yeah consider me owned, I did mean to say Shining Force CD
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

be sure to play it though even if you don't own it. was a life/game changing experience for me back in 2005.

I hope you ex-wife is dead by now?

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    I hope you ex-wife is dead by now?
    Exactly what I was tempted to say but I didn't want to hurt his feelings. Bultje to the rescue!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post

Oh you did see my post before it was deleted huh? Yeah, during the times that I have a Sega CD, I just simply burn the games. I'm not wasting a lot of money on games that I don't really have any interest in, despite how renowned the Sega CD library is.

Thread Information