Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NiGHTS Into Dreams

NiGHTS was a game I just saw in magazines at the time and I thought it looked great. I still just had my Mega Drive and was waiting for the Sonic that never came before I got the Saturn and ended up with an N64. I didn't actually play the game or see it running until a bit over ten years ago when I bought a Saturn and later the game. I immediately loved the visuals and the music but I couldn't understand what I was doing. I had expected an adventure game when I first saw it and even the reviews I remember reading didn't quite get across what I was going to be playing. I liked it but I never was any good at it. I played through all the main levels with both characters but I didn't get the ratings high enough to unlock the final area.

I didn't know you could run around as the kid first until reading this thread! I always assumed you were just supposed to jump straight in as NiGHTS. I do have it on Steam so perhaps I should give it another solid go sometime.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Cafeman's Avatar

I originally thought Sega should have done more work on the gameplay, playing as one of the kids. More like a Mario 64 kind of feel, or at the least more of a platforming feel. Because even though you can run and jump around as Claris or Elliot, avoiding the clock and grabbing blue chips, the gameplay is superficial, feels unfinished.

But then I played the expanded kids levels of the sequel Jouney into Dreams ... I guess be careful what you wish for, those stages sucked!

I never owned a Saturn, so the first time I played this was when it was made available for DL on the 360. I think my opinion of it might have been higher had I played it back in the day. It does look nice for the era in which it was released, but playing it I had a hard time understanding why it seemed to be held in such high regard throughout the years. The great word of mouth surrounding Radiant Silvergun makes sense to me, however, it doesn't completely make sense to me here beyond pure nostalgia.

It's a game that seems much more impressive in 1996 than it does to play now. Since I don't have a nostalgic heart for this game, it's hard for me to gauge it any other way than to pit it against 35+ years of video games. Is it still fun to play? Yeah, The game is reasonably fun today in the same way that a current game with average review scores can be reasonably entertaining. What may have felt like a 9 in 1996 feels like a 6 or 7 to me now, which are generally the review scores the sequel (Nights: Journey of Dreams) received in 2007.

That being said, it would definitely feel weird to delve into the Saturn library without giving this game a go. A 9 still seems high though. If this is a 9, then it would be difficult for me to get excited about something that scored lower.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Splatterhouse5 View Post
    I never owned a Saturn, so the first time I played this was when it was made available for DL on the 360. I think my opinion of it might have been higher had I played it back in the day. It does look nice for the era in which it was released, but playing it I had a hard time understanding why it seemed to be held in such high regard throughout the years. The great word of mouth surrounding Radiant Silvergun makes sense to me, however, it doesn't completely make sense to me here beyond pure nostalgia.

It's a game that seems much more impressive in 1996 than it does to play now. Since I don't have a nostalgic heart for this game, it's hard for me to gauge it any other way than to pit it against 35+ years of video games. Is it still fun to play? Yeah, The game is reasonably fun today in the same way that a current game with average review scores can be reasonably entertaining. What may have felt like a 9 in 1996 feels like a 6 or 7 to me now, which are generally the review scores the sequel (Nights: Journey of Dreams) received in 2007.

That being said, it would definitely feel weird to delve into the Saturn library without giving this game a go. A 9 still seems high though. If this is a 9, then it would be difficult for me to get excited about something that scored lower.
    ^ The gameplay is deeper than it seems at first. And several aspects are not clear at first.

This thread should be linked in this review thread:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...GHTS-questions

^ It's a long thread discussing all different aspects of the game, even showing photos of some of the hybrid Nightopians.

Each course is meant to be repeated many times and memorized, in order to get an "A" on each stage. (You can get an A for a stage without actually getting an A for each of the 4 courses.)

Honestly, no one really has a grasp on this game unless you can at least start getting an A for the stages. Even with the stages somewhat memorized, the gameplay needs to be pushed as hard as possible to get an A. (It basically requires constant speed-dashing, and constant item collection for nearly the whole time on the timer.)

Oh also, you DON'T want to finish the course fast. You want to fly fast but you want to draw-out each segment, AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. Meaning you keep repeating the same lap as many times as you can, as fast as you can, collecting as much as possible, before finishing by returning to the pavilion. Ideally you want no more than like 5 seconds or less on the timer, when you finish by entering the pavilion.

If you're repeating the stages and getting better at the stages, you will start to notice the music change and become better. There will also be more Nightopians multiplying, and it's their level of happiness which creates the changes in the music.

You have to be calm around them to make them happy and make the music better. If you fly past them fast, they will get scared and unhappy, and the music gets worse.

Also if they keep getting happier, and multiplying, they will keep mating and sometimes producing mutant offspring (like an enemy combined with a friendly Nightopian). They also have jobs lol like you see some with a broom, sweeping the ground, etc.

People consider it "pointless" but it becomes a huge number of these simulated creatures, all doing different things lol. And the music starts out great, and only becomes more and more amazing (for the most part).

The Saturn apparently saves data for each creature independently, which is why the game takes up so much save space.

Anyway, I hope people give the game a chance.

A 9 is a perfect score for this game.

It just is not obvious at first.

ALSO I've concluded that instead of jumping into the pavilion to become NiGHTS right away, at the start of each stage: We're actually supposed to play as the kids for a couple minutes, and collect everything we can, before going to the pavilion to become NiGHTS. It's explained in that linked thread.

Last edited by Ecco; 07-06-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Honestly, no one really has a grasp on this game unless you can at least start getting an A for the stages.
    Agree with everything you said but especially this. I didn't even know there was a final boss until I read about it and went back to get good grades. The manual is GARBAGE, forget the game's tutorial, because nothing even hints at the level of depth present.

If you're repeating the stages and getting better at the stages, you will start to notice the music change and become better. There will also be more Nightopians multiplying, and it's their level of happiness which creates the changes in the music.
    You have to be calm around them to make them happy and make the music better. If you fly past them fast, they will get scared and unhappy, and the music gets worse.
    It's a very deep game that appears as a very shallow one.

ALSO I've concluded that instead of jumping into the pavilion to become NiGHTS right away, at the start of each stage: We're actually supposed to play as the kids for a couple minutes, and collect everything we can, before going to the pavilion to become NiGHTS. It's explained in that linked thread.
    What??!

Clotho Lachesis Atropos Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    One day we will be able to discuss Saturn games without spiraling down into a pit-hole of "what-could-have-saved-the-saturn-sega's-management-is-stupid" theories, hypothesis and researches.

I believe.
    Repped AF

I can get an A rank on every loop of every stage of NiGHTS. Iíve played the hell out of this game.

The A-life is the biggest waste of save memory space in the history of video games though.
    Last edited by Moirai; 07-07-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Clotho Lachesis Atropos Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JPEC83 View Post
    NiGHTS was a game I just saw in magazines at the time and I thought it looked great. I still just had my Mega Drive and was waiting for the Sonic that never came before I got the Saturn and ended up with an N64. I didn't actually play the game or see it running until a bit over ten years ago when I bought a Saturn and later the game. I immediately loved the visuals and the music but I couldn't understand what I was doing. I had expected an adventure game when I first saw it and even the reviews I remember reading didn't quite get across what I was going to be playing. I liked it but I never was any good at it. I played through all the main levels with both characters but I didn't get the ratings high enough to unlock the final area.

I didn't know you could run around as the kid first until reading this thread! I always assumed you were just supposed to jump straight in as NiGHTS. I do have it on Steam so perhaps I should give it another solid go sometime.
    Too bad the rereleases have no analog control...

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post

What??!
    ^Haha yeah, I've been convinced (since last year) that THAT was how the gameplay was truly intended.

And it has the MOST potential for the most points, for the 1st course of each stage.

Here I'll quote my post about this, from the linked thread above:

Notes:

The more I've played with the kids for the 1st round, wandering and collecting spheres, before turning into NiGHTS: I'm now fully convinced that this was what the developers actually intended. It makes sense logically, because the kids can collect almost ALL the spheres in the stage, before turning into NiGHTS, so of course this is the way for best score. (Whether the kids are on some kind of unseen-timer, I have no idea, but the important thing is that this works for getting the very best score of the 1st lap.)

Jumping through rings as kids seems pointless, except the rings do add to the score, so they're actually worth jumping through.

I've noticed that the HUD sphere-counter maxes out at 99 spheres, never gets to 100. However the spheres keep adding points, apparently the same, without the counter changing. Assuming this is not just an oversight, I'm guessing that it locks at 99 so that players don't expect some prize for reaching 100. (There are no lives in NiGHTS, so no extra life.)

The floating alarm clock speeds up after maybe 2 minutes or so. I believe this shows that the devs meant for us to play as the kids for roughly 2 minutes before turning into NiGHTS.

Also I think the vagueness of the gameplay might have been somewhat intended to resemble a dream, which we are exploring, and slowly understanding better, the more we explore the dream.

Essentially the whole game represents "lucid dreaming," which is dreaming WHILE BEING AWARE THAT WE'RE DREAMING. It's a very rare experience for most people, but some folks can apparently train themselves to have more lucid dreams.

I've had a small handful, in my life, never very frequently.

But for me and many people, once a dream turns lucid (that is, once the dreamer realizes that he is currently in a dream), then a very common reaction is for the dreamer to start trying to fly lol. I've done it a few times, and it's amazing. I've also had a few lucid dreams of trying to fly, and not quite being able to lol.

Anyway, that's a common experience for many or most people who find themselves in a lucid dream, it's very common to try to start flying around.

So I think that's one aspect of NiGHTS into Dreams. It represents lucid dreaming, with the dreamer in control of his dream.

Thread Information