Quantcast

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: The Year 2100

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    If that part of your family was from Spanish descent, then the statement is 100% correct. They weren't "Spanish" though. Unless you count the first generation that came from Spain.

Half my family is from Spain to up to two generations ago. The other half from a few generations further back to the 1800s. I'm still not Spanish. . I'm from Spanish descent.
    So you are a white Spaniard, ethnicity wise. A famous white Spaniard is the Spy Kids dad:

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    I love how this thread has offically lost the plot now. Most of my family are English but my grandmother on my mother's side was German. So I always think that makes me and my sister 75% English and 25% German. However considering that, during the Dark Ages, it was Saxon settlers from Germany that occupied large parts of Angle Land (land of the Angles later changed to England) to become Anglo Saxons, I guess most Englishmen have at least some Germanic heritage.
    I'm the same except with the roles reversed. 50-60% German and 40% English. Both my names are German so I just identify as that.

Yea English people look much more similar to Germans, than they do to Highlands Scots or true Welsh or Irish people.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    I already repped you in the other thread, quit begging for more.

(not a srs post)

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    Latin = The entirety of the Western hemisphere who had roots going back to the Romans. Just don't say Latin or Latino to one of my Italian friends with respect to anyone not from Italy. They get seriously insulted, as they are technically the "true" latins.
    That seems kinda silly for them to do that. Yes, Italians do have the most Latin blood, but theres other ethnicities that have significant amounts, like Romanians, Spaniards, I think Sicilians, Portueguese and French. I think French are the most diluted though, they're mostly Continental Celts.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    If anyone is legit curious her name is Veronica Belmont and she is a tech journalist. She used to co-host an online show called Tekzilla and this was an outtake making a joke how Chuthullu swims. Patrick Norton still hosts the successor in Tekthing with Shannon Morse and she..has actually done...science erm....

I think shes a bra-stuffer, I did a little Google search and it doesn't appear that she has more than small C-cups:
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

AH BOB SAGET! Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi SegataS's Avatar

Chuthullu Cups.
    Twitter Segata

Life!?...What console is that on?

The name 'Latin America' - and by consequence 'Latino' - has a historical, geopolitic and cultural meaning that is complex and it wasn't created to simply differentiate those born in Latin American countries from those who were not.

Like I said in my previous post, it's origins date from the 19th century and the name came from within the Latin American community, not from outside. Obviously, there's no real need for any of us to call ourselves latinos within our own countries, but it's important to understand the whole concept behind of a Latin America, why does it exist etc.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

The term Latin America was coined by the French to group the French Caribbean and French Guiana with all the Spanish-speaking countries and Brazil. It came out of a time when the French intended to increase their presence in that part of the world and it was hoped that the newly independent countries of "Latin America" would ally with "Latin Europe" (rather than the US & UK), of which France was the biggest power. More specifically the concept of Latin America was used to justify the French invasion of Mexico and to garner support for the new government they installed.

Latino is just short for Latino Americano. It literally just means Latin American.
    Last edited by j_factor; 02-23-2018 at 07:35 AM.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The term Latin America was coined by the French to group the French Caribbean and French Guiana with all the Spanish-speaking countries and Brazil. It came out of a time when the French intended to increase their presence in that part of the world and it was hoped that the newly independent countries of "Latin America" would ally with "Latin Europe" (rather than the US & UK), of which France was the biggest power. More specifically the concept of Latin America was used to justify the French invasion of Mexico and to garner support for the new government they installed.
    ( not-so ) Recent studies have proven that theory to be wrong.

That was the most popular and commonly accepted theory, whose author John Leddy Phelan published in 1968, called “Pan-Latinism, French Intervention in Mexico (1861-1867) and the Genesis of the Idea of Latin América”. However, Uruguayan philosopher Arturo Ardao ( in Génesis de la idea y el nombre de América Latina, 1980 ) has traced the origin of the name 'América Latina' back to José Maria Torres Caicedo, circa 1856. I'm sure that this isn't common knowledge for most people, but there's that.
    In fact, Chilean historian Miguel Rojas Mix ( in Los cien nombres de la América ) claims that Caicedo actually plagiarized chilean intellectual Francisco Bilbao, who allegedly created the name three months before Caicedo, during a conference in Paris.

See this article for an excellent reference on this subject.

As a final note, when I referred to the "idea" of having a Latin America and does it mean from a cultural and political standpoint, I'm not simply talking about semantics, if that wasn't clear enough. The classic 'Las venas abiertas de la América Latina' ( Open Veins of Latin America ), written by the great Eduardo Galeano, is a must-read in that regard.
    Last edited by Bottino; 02-23-2018 at 04:21 PM.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    ( not-so ) Recent studies have proven that theory to be wrong.

That was the most popular and commonly accepted theory, whose author John Leddy Phelan published in 1968, called “Pan-Latinism, French Intervention in Mexico (1861-1867) and the Genesis of the Idea of Latin América”. However, Uruguayan philosopher Arturo Ardao ( in Génesis de la idea y el nombre de América Latina, 1980 ) has traced the origin of the name 'América Latina' back to José Maria Torres Caicedo, circa 1856. I'm sure that this isn't common knowledge for most people, but there's that.
    In fact, Chilean historian Miguel Rojas Mix ( in Los cien nombres de la América ) claims that Caicedo actually plagiarized chilean intellectual Francisco Bilbao, who allegedly created the name three months before Caicedo, during a conference in Paris.

See this article for an excellent reference on this subject.

As a final note, when I referred to the "idea" of having a Latin America and does it mean from a cultural and political standpoint, I'm not simply talking about semantics, if that wasn't clear enough. The classic 'Las venas abiertas de la América Latina' ( Open Veins of Latin America ) by the great Eduardo Galeano is a must-read in that regard.
    That's very interesting. I guess I stand corrected.

Still though. The French part of Latin America is a pretty small portion. The idea of "Latin" America, including the French-speaking areas while excluding the English and Dutch language areas, seems awfully convenient for the French. It seems like at that time, they could have just as easily come up with "Hispanic America" or "Iberian America", leaving out the French, or some all-encompassing term that included the English and Dutch.

But that said, in common usage today, Latin America and "Latino" often do not include the French speakers anyway. The US census asks "Are you hispanic or latino?" as a yes or no question in addition to asking your race. Their definition for what that means refers to Spanish and Portuguese and doesn't mention French. I have no idea if Haitian immigrants in the US generally think they should be considered Latino or not.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

AH BOB SAGET! Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi SegataS's Avatar

I really like watching two people debate a serious subject while one of them has a guy masturbating an arcade stick in his signature.
    Twitter Segata

Life!?...What console is that on?

Thread Information