Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Great movies that were sequels

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Default Great movies that were sequels

I thought there was a thread like this before but after some searching, I cannot find it. So I'll start here.

I'm not talking about great sequels. Or sequels that were as good or better than the original. I am talking about movies that are really great and happen to be sequels. I'm not sure if it matters that the original movie even exists.

Take for example, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. In an effort to downsize, I had given my player and laserdiscs to my friend a while back and she decided to return them to me recently. I figured she must have watched all of them by now or something but she hadn't. She hadn't even watched Wrath of Khan. So we had movie night and even started by watching Space Seed (which I also have on LD) first which ends with them wondering what will become of Khan's colony in the future. And typical of her, she's like, "Do they go back a hundred years later in the movie?" Anyways, she has never had to suffer through Star Trek: The Motion Picture (I don't own it) and it did not even matter. Star Trek II is a great movie without the first movie or even Space Seed.

Empire Strikes Back is harder for me to figure. It's a great movie, of course, but would it be as good if you don't see Star Wars first?

Terminator 2 is an easy one for me. I didn't think it was a great movie even though most people do. It's okay but the original was awesome.

Back to the Future III is another great movie. I like it best of the three but I'll admit that some of the humor would fall flat without at least the original. So much of the humor in this trilogy relies on call-backs. But what really makes part three great is the sci-fi western story. I really like a good sci-fi western (Firefly, Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers, etc). Of course, they aren't all great (Timerider, etc).

Other great movies like Die Hard or Raiders of the Lost Ark do not have even one good sequel in them, let alone great stand-alone movies. The sequels of these movies were okay but can't see myself ever watching them again.

The only other one that comes to mind is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I'm not sure if Eastwood's character is supposed to be the same guy or not but it's a great movie all on it's own. I think it's actually the best of the three.

It just seems like most sequels are average at best. I'm not sure why. It's not like I don't want to see more of a great movie. They just don't seem to deliver.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Army of Darkness is one of my all time favorite movies. It stands up on its own, but is a sequel to Evil Dead 1 and 2. I don't think people consider it one of the "great" movies, but it's an A+ Bmovie.

Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Great thread. T2 was my first choice, Mad Max 2 comes to mind also. Toy Story 3 can be watched as an individual movie I think and is truly great too. Evil Dead 2, basically a 2.0 of the original, and brilliant. Any (proper) Indiana Jones movie too.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Aliens.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again, like the Jews re-establish their Israeli, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans.

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    Army of Darkness is one of my all time favorite movies. It stands up on its own, but is a sequel to Evil Dead 1 and 2. I don't think people consider it one of the "great" movies, but it's an A+ Bmovie.

That looks interesting. And yeah, B-movies can be awesome. Story is always more important than budget, in my book.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Damn, looks like Thierry Henry already mentioned one of my favourites.

The only other movie that comes to mind for me is Tron Legacy. I'm not trying to be contrarian here, I spent the entire movie being surprised at just how much of it they got right. It had some good references to the previous movie and some cool new stuff, but I seem to be in the minority for really enjoying it.
    I command you to rise from your grave, use steroids and run around in your underwear kicking dogs.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Henry View Post
    Aliens.
    / thread. Possibly the best example for this question. How about Anchorman 2? I love it.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Aliens is an obvious choice for a truly great sequel. Being a horror fan I have to give shout-outs to Psycho II (1980) and Halloween II (1981) for being two truly very well made sequels. In a genre prevalent with so much shite this is quite an achievement. I mean you only have to look at the Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th franchises to see just how shit slasher film sequels can get.

Dawn of the Dead (1978) is another excellent sequel.

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Ghostbusters II

Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Ghostbusters II

Just kidding.
    Y'know I always thought that Ghostbusters II was a pretty good sequel. Not great by any stretch of the imagination but still miles better than that recent all female 'reboot' abomination.

Rebel scum Hero of Algol MrMatthews's Avatar

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Edit: Damn, Barone!

Terminator 2.

Or Aliens.

Mad Max: Fury Road

Road Rasher

Spider-Man 2 was better than the first. My memory is a bit foggy, but I seem to recall that Desperado was better than El Mariachi.

End of line.. ESWAT Veteran gamevet's Avatar

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (it was already mentioned, but it's one of my favorites)
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
    Rocky III
    LOTR: The Return of the King
    The Godfather II
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information