Quantcast

Thread: Sega Surfwave PS2 Wireless Controllers

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Default Sega Surfwave PS2 Wireless Controllers

Been looking for one of these a good while, finally bagged one. I have the Fountech Airstyle already, which I love. Seller seems pretty good too...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLAY-STAT...53.m2749.l2649

Ps2

I bought a black one first which failed to power on, though before I realised this I'd dropped for a white one too. I got in touch with the seller and he kindly advised me to await its delivery and see if it worked too so I could return both if required.

The white one works! I asked about returning the black one and he said to keep it for parts and await a replacement, what a stand up dude; especially as returns are not accepted.

If anyone's looking for one of these, here are some things I've found out (details are scarce on this pad):

1) Does not work on my PS1 (grey model with serial port), LED on receiver does not light. True for both controllers.

2) Does not work with my DC via an adapter (not sure which brand it is, but it's the unit that looks like a little box on a wire that has a VMU slot adjacent to the control port plug. You can also use it to attach a PS/2 mouse and keyboard), results are as with the PS1 with both controllers.

3) D pad seems rather stiff, requiring hard presses, at least on my working white pad, which surprises me as the similar Fountech unit I own is lovely in this regard. This could be newness and / or a quirk of the particular unit in question; I'll report back after further testing... Buttons and sticks feel really good, with only the R & L 2 triggers feeling a little stiff.

4) After a very quick test with a USB to PS2 adapter the receiver dongle lit up. I plugged it into my freeview box's USB port to do a quick check, so testing on a PS3 / PC is still required.

5) General build quality feels lovely, no creaky joints and solid in the hands.

The seller still has a few, I really do not believe these to be fakes, they look and feel very legit, if you have been searching for them now would be your chance. I hope the above is useful to someone, there is very little on these.
    Last edited by cleeg; 03-20-2018 at 12:30 AM.

The seller sent me a new white and blue replacement, I assume he had no black ones left and felt bad. I paid for two, have four and three that work, I could not be happier with this seller!

I have some more testing to do; I'll post results when I can.

I bought a white one off eBay and it arrived on Monday. It came in the box and it looks amazing. So I opened it, put brand new batteries in and tried it out. After about 5 minutes it malfunctions - starts acting as if I am pressing buttons when I am not and other buttons stop working. 😞

I read this on another site somewhere, someone else had this problem too... Perhaps there was a bad run of them?

Thread Information