Quantcast

Thread: Tool for testing animations??

Kiwi Tool for testing animations??

Hello there!

I'm working on an RPG and with a majority of the sprites and backgrounds done, I started to do animations. But I really need a fast and effective way to see if the animation frames look OK. Like a program where you can input an image, then select the frames for the animation by a part of the image, select animation speed and upscale everything (it's so tiny on this computer monitor). So far, I've made .png files with the frames side by side, as seen in the pink background sprite sheet of this Twitter post I made:

https://twitter.com/ZebbeBrax/status/961569518433783809 (not done, but whatever, and yeah, I know Twitter compressed the image)

So, does anyone know of any tools which are free to use and does what I described above?

Many thanks in advance!

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

You could try paintshop pro animation shop. I have an old version I think, let me see if I have time later to dig it out for you. Don't worry about reminding me if it looks like I've forgotten!

I've used it an odd time to make GIFs.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

It appears that Aseprite may do what you need, but I'm actually not entirely sure. Poking some people I know about this issue now, actually.

Such a tool would be extremely useful on my own end. I've been blindsided more than once by trying to keep the scale between background and actors consistent.

EDIT: Realized your problem never seemed to be checking sprites against backgrounds in the first place. My brain is too busy booting up still.
    Yeah, Aseprite should be just fine for your needs.

I should also say - While I've not used it myself and our own workflow hasn't used it, I've heard fantastic things about Pro Motion NG with regards to pixel art, and it comes with its own animation previewer too. Also allows customizing the pixel ratio - Great for anything using 256-wide modes.
    Last edited by Flygon; 02-13-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks!

I forgot to say I currently use PSP Animation Shop, but it's too bothersome for me. I guess I am very picky :P.

I'll give Aseprite and Pro Motion NG a few shots .

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Cool, hope you get it sorted. You could try a vjdeo editor program that allows image imports perhaps, but I don't know if that's easier or not.

Good luck with the game.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

I'd probably script it with the usual ImageMagick and gifsicle, but if PSP is too ugly, command line won't do :P

Wildside Expert

GraphicsGale has a browser that previews animations, but only in .gal and .gif formats. The GraphicsGale editor proper has multi-file import.

Level 1 Blast Processor Road Rasher

I'm really surprised this doesn't exist right off the bat, if I wasn't so swamped I'd write one over a weekend or something. Beehive has built-in NxN spritesheet animation tools but the grid is fixed size, probably wouldn't take long to modify it for arbitrary "drag with mouse" frame grabbing.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

This might sound stupid, but Game Maker has a pretty decent sprite editor with animation support. You can just import your images and see the animation there.
    The trial has no time limit (afaik), works on Windows and Mac.
    If you want to see what it would look like with a background, you can literally just put an object with the sprite over the background in the "game", run it and see.

Last edited by Kamahl; 02-15-2018 at 04:48 PM.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Thread Information