Quantcast

Thread: Invalid attachments

Pengo Invalid attachments

Whenever someone wants to add a screenshot for an attachment, it just ends up not working. In fact, I've never seen an attachment working on this forum. This leads to other forum members having to reply: "Attachments don't work, use a photo hosting site instead". It is troublesome to always teach new forum members that. So, can the attachment feature be fixed somehow? As of now, it serves no purpose, it seems.
    Last edited by Zebbe; 05-01-2018 at 12:56 PM.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

The attachment system absolutely can be made to work, but it's tricky and counterintuitive. Every time this conversation comes up, I find myself reposting the list of instructions that are in the third post in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    "The key to making attached images visible is to choose Go Advanced, then Manage Attachments (down below), click Add Files, Choose File, Upload, and finally Insert Inline (and Done). Then if you want to make them display at full resolution (rather than as thumbnails at the end), you have to preview your post, copy the URL of each image, and replace the {ATTACH} tags with IMG tags holding the URL.

If you choose the "Insert Image" icon instead, it'll appear to work, but you'll always get the error where only you see your attachments, and everyone else just sees dead links that say "Attachment 3234" etc.

Or you can host them on Tinypic, Imgur, or another site like that."
    The problem with removing the attachment system entirely is that it ruins old threads when image hosting services recycle old URLs, or change their terms of service like Photobucket. Using Sega-16's attachment system, dysfunctional though it is, guarantees that images will stay live and not get deactivated -- or, worse, replaced with totally unrelated images (this has happened with Tinypic in the past).

So, please do not remove the attachment feature; it would destroy a number of valuable threads that use it, and compromise the site's long-term integrity. Best of all would be to actually fix it so that it works in some sort of normal, intuitive manner, but I don't see that happening, sadly.

EDIT: And to be clear, editing the "Insert Image" button to remove the "Insert Image > From Computer" feature -- which 100% doesn't work -- would be just fine. That's always been broken, and I don't really understand why. (Again, actually fixing it would be better, but...)

Thanks! The work-around you described is even more bothersome than using a image hosting site (but I don't blame you for that).

OK, so keeping the system but fixing it would be ideal then. I edited my post.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

The problem seems to be inherent in vBulletin itself. I've seen similar issues with other forums using it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert ITViking's Avatar

I was having a terrible time with attaching images, but I think I have it figured out. The problem for me seems to simply be that the files were too large. Here's what I did...

1) Take picture
    2) Open in Microsoft 'Paint' (the old version)
    3) Click 'resize' and changed from 100% to 30%, then saved as .jpg.
    4) Click insert image in my forum post, target the file on my local PC, then upload.

Image files come in around 200-300k in file size after the resize, then seem to upload fine after that.

Thread Information