Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 32X got rid of all my jailbars!

I know I'm very much in the minority on this, but I actually have HDretrovision cables for my Genesis and also have RGB SCART cables as well. Believe it or not, the HDretrovision cables look better through the OSSC than the RGB does. The RGB signal is a tad darker and doesn't seem to have as good a contrast to it. The cable I have seems to be amazing quality too so I was surprised by the results. However, RGB SCART on the saturn looks much clearer and more vibrant than my previous s-video out did and that was already pretty good to begin with.

I have found that with the s-video on a model 1 genesis, that you can help with the jailbars quite a bit by making sure of a few things:

- make sure you route the luma and chroma wires far away from the 3515 VDP section of the Genesis.
    - use the same ground that the actual 1145 encoder is using.
    - take the wiring route a step further and route the luma and chroma outside the RF shielding. I usually advise the opposite to help with outside RF interference from causing problems. But in this case, it helps to shield the noisy vdp section even further from causing issues.
    - make sure you either build a PCB with adjustable trimmers or purchase premade ones that do. I found that the largest factor in helping to remove those jail bars in the s-video signal is to adjust the Luma to a point where they are least noticeable.

Doing those steps above I was quite pleased with how the s-video looks on both of my model 1 units.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

What is a jailbar?

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    What is a jailbar?
    Normally vertical noise on the video signal.

Here is an example from Joe:
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Oh ok. Very interesting.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Huh, I wasn't aware the 32x had improved video output. I actually use those component cables form Retrovision, would this cause an issue with the image looking worse than using those cables out of a base genesis or something?

On mine the Genesis looks the same through the HDretrovision cables from either the Genesis or the 32x. Only with composite and s-video does the 32x provide an improved picture. The HDretrovision cables are using the RGB from the genesis and converting it to component output. Jail bars are present when using the RGB regards of having a 32x or not on the model 1 unless you mod it further.

Thread Information