Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 32X got rid of all my jailbars!

Systemwars vs Sega-16 Master of Shinobi gamegenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    I'm not bashing composite in general (although I do heavily prefer rgb). I'm bashing composite specifically on the megadrive which is absolutely terrible. it's so bad it can't be compared to composite on any other systems I've had.
    I must of lucked out because my Genesis does a pretty solid job of outputting through Composite. Which is also why I haven't been so inclined on Component/RGB cable. Although there are still many factors that at play if you are getting poor AV output. It could be the type of TV you are using, it could be the AV cable you have, and it can be the type of Genesis you're using, as there are 7 variations.

Not every TV does a good job of RCA Composite comb filtering, especially HDTVs which some carry composite input as an after thought.
    "Fires of purgatory, coalesce and incinerate my enemies."

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I don't think composite on the Genesis is that bad in general. I used it for years and years growing up before converting to RGB maybe 5 years ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

I always thought that composite on the Genesis was good. Until I started trying to use it on modern HDTVs starting about 6 years ago. At first I didn't notice it too much of an issue, but then playing RPGs with text, especially Shadowrun, was damn near impossible to read that text due to all the dot crawl on the signal making the letters just blur together. Also made for a pretty ugly hud on Chase H.Q. as the MPH lettering was also blended together pretty badly. Going to S-video was like night and day on my Genesis system and setup in my room. I was pretty content with the s-video setup. Wasn't until I got a set of HDretrovision cables for it that I saw that it could be made even better. the jump from s-video to the component on the HDretro cables wasn't as huge as the jump from composite to s-video, but it was still resulted in an even sharper image with even better overall color saturation.

So for the time being I'm sticking with the HDretrovision cables. I do have an OSSC now and have used the Genesis on it with a SCART cable I have, but the picture while even clearer, is also a tad bit darker and I think I still prefer the image of the HDretro cables for now. Good thing is that I can at least run the Genesis into the component input of the OSSC and still get the benefits of the doubler that way.

Systemwars vs Sega-16 Master of Shinobi gamegenie's Avatar

From what I gather, if you still have an old CRT television, a good one (either an expensive model from the 90s), or an early 2000s made TV before they went extinct.
    The chances are likely that your TV might have a decent comb filter on board that serves a purpose to separate the luminance from the chrominance in the analog video input, specifically the Composite video input.

http://www.cockam.com/vidcomb.htm
    https://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=ntscdb4

I don't think comb filters are utilized much if at all today on modern HDTVs, which is explains why a lot people experience crappy picture quality from connecting their classic game systems to HDTVs.
    I could not find any spec information pertaining to a comb filter onboard for my Samsung 40" LED 120Hz TV.

But my 2004 27" Sansui CRT has a 2-Line Digital comb filter on-board which explains why the picture quality of my Genesis looks crisp and clean over composite.

Now if you don't have old CRT anymore and only have an HDTV, the best way around poor video quality from a classic system is to use the SCART RGB/Component video input options, since the chrominance and luminance are already separated out from those connections to the TV, direct video translation requiring no filtering since the video signals are never combined like they are in Composite video.
    "Fires of purgatory, coalesce and incinerate my enemies."

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    Wasn't until I got a set of HDretrovision cables for it that I saw that it could be made even better. the jump from s-video to the component on the HDretro cables wasn't as huge as the jump from composite to s-video, but it was still resulted in an even sharper image with even better overall color saturation.
    I agree. I only have one HDTV that supports 240p on component though, but the picture quality of 240p component on it from both my SNES and N64 looks very clear and vibrant on my TV compared to S-Video. If only Sega HD Retrovision component cables worked on it then I wouldn't have much need for S-Video besides using it for recording S-Video on my DVD recorder as well as for using it on my CRT SDTV that has S-Video as its best input.

urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    I'm not bashing composite in general (although I do heavily prefer rgb). I'm bashing composite specifically on the megadrive which is absolutely terrible. it's so bad it can't be compared to composite on any other systems I've had.
    The 32X serves as an external RGB to composite encoder.
    RGB is used in the process of overlaying 32X graphics onto the megadrive graphics, to output a single picture.

Quote Originally Posted by lumclaw View Post
    The 32X serves as an external RGB to composite encoder.
    RGB is used in the process of overlaying 32X graphics onto the megadrive graphics, to output a single picture.
    That's correct, and it cleans up both the composite and RGB picture quality for all Mega Drive/Genesis revisions. Composite from the 32X looks far better than it does straight from a Model 1 or any other Genesis/MD that doesn't have a surface mount CXA1145 or CXA1645.

urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    That's correct, and it cleans up both the composite and RGB picture quality for all Mega Drive/Genesis revisions. Composite from the 32X looks far better than it does straight from a Model 1 or any other Genesis/MD that doesn't have a surface mount CXA1145 or CXA1645.
    Good question, I haven't seen much for in depth tests of 32X RGB quality between revisions of the Genesis.

It seems dubious 32X improves RGB since that'd be adding quality that wasn't already there. But perhaps.

Wildside Expert

Plugged my 32x yesterday, and the colors are washed out (white fonts are grey on startup), i used it last year and dont remember colors being off. Using scart on sony pvm, tried with xeye and cdx, same result.

Thread Information