Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 32X got rid of all my jailbars!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    As long as it's not a VGA to HDMI upscaler, then it's fine, an HDMI converter box won't introduce any lag. I also have one of those for my Samsung HDTV from 2008 that doesn't have a VGA port but has a DVI port, so I can connect VGA to HDMI (using an HDMI to DVI cord) without upscaling.
    If your TV have a DVI input, check if it accept a DVI-A signal. If it do, you can use directly the VGA signal, without converting it, all you need is a simple VGA-DVI-A adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by majinga View Post
    If your TV have a DVI input, check if it accept a DVI-A signal. If it do, you can use directly the VGA signal, without converting it, all you need is a simple VGA-DVI-A adapter.
    Thanks, I'll take note of that but as it stands now I'm fine with using my VGA input on the HDTV/monitor I primarily play my retro gaming on.

Systemwars vs Sega-16 Master of Shinobi gamegenie's Avatar

many don't know this but the 32X enhances existing Genesis library.
    I often play my Genesis games through the 32X for the added color saturation benefit. A good example of this is Mortal Kombat 3. When played on the vanilla Genesis the colors are pretty washed up, this is often what you might see when you watch a MK3 Genesis game reviewed on Youtube and reviewers are quick to point out in comparison to the SNES how MK3 looks better on that platform from its larger color palette.
    But that washed out look is eliminated when you put MK3 in the 32X.
    "Fires of purgatory, coalesce and incinerate my enemies."

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

I've heard those rumors but I don't believe them at all. the 32x definitely doesn't enhance the graphics. maybe if you have a megadrive with a terrible video output.

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    I've heard those rumors but I don't believe them at all. the 32x definitely doesn't enhance the graphics. maybe if you have a megadrive with a terrible video output.
    I believe he is talking about the fact that the output as a whole from the 32x is usually better due to the better encoder that is used on the 32x. I know that the colors and jailbars did get reduced when I was running everything through my 32x and still do. But the jailbars were still there and easy to see against solid backgrounds that were blue, or grety in color. The 240p test suite menu screens for instance will really show the bars to help with trying to reduce them.

It does enhance the color part of the graphics. You should put the rumor to test and see for yourself. I have two Genesis systems, a model 1 HDG, and a Model 2 which is the one I primarily use with my 32X. Recent I just discovered this system is the model 2 that is equipped with good sound system (capable of playing the Sonic 2 chemical plant zone as good the model 1 HDG). I use the Composite video cable as I refuse to spend the ridiculous price going for those RetroVision Component cables. But the picture quality is still decent. I play it over my 480i Component capable SDTV CRT and I had noticed this color enhancement of the 32X for sometime when playing with and without my 32X attached. I hardly see anyone mention it, which is why I'm bringing this up.
    Mortal Kombat 3 is a good example of a significant color enhancement when played through the 32X. I assume you have a good video output Genesis so you should give try it and notice first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by gamegenie View Post
    It does enhance the color part of the graphics. You should put the rumor to test and see for yourself. I have two Genesis systems, a model 1 HDG, and a Model 2 which is the one I primarily use with my 32X. Recent I just discovered this system is the model 2 that is equipped with good sound system (capable of playing the Sonic 2 chemical plant zone as good the model 1 HDG). I use the Composite video cable as I refuse to spend the ridiculous price going for those RetroVision Component cables. But the picture quality is still decent. I play it over my 480i Component capable SDTV CRT and I had noticed this color enhancement of the 32X for sometime when playing with and without my 32X attached. I hardly see anyone mention it, which is why I'm bringing this up.
    Mortal Kombat 3 is a good example of a significant color enhancement when played through the 32X. I assume you have a good video output Genesis so you should give try it and notice first hand.
    you use composite on megadrive?
    Last edited by bultje112; 07-31-2018 at 03:27 AM.

you use composite on megadrive?
    Yes. I use composite video on the Genesis 32X outputting to the TV.

Yes. I use composite video on the Genesis 32X outputting to the TV.
    yes that will suck anyway. I use the best possible rgb cables I've gotten custom made by someone. composite looks attrocious and especially megadrive.

yes that will suck anyway. I use the best possible rgb cables I've gotten custom made by someone. composite looks attrocious and especially megadrive.
    It doesn't matter what I have. Good for you if you have component. It's irrelevant to the point that I am bringing that 32X will bring a color enhancement with Genesis games regardless of your AV hookup.

It doesn't matter what I have. Good for you if you have component. It's irrelevant to the point that I am bringing that 32X will bring a color enhancement with Genesis games regardless of your AV hookup.
    someone who uses and accepts composite on megadrive has to be color blind.

someone who uses and accepts composite on megadrive has to be color blind.
    Are you slow, or are you conveniently overlooking the post ITT where I mentioned RetroVision cables that out of my expense? You rambling on about cable connection as if I'm not aware of different type of connections for the Genesis is foolish. If you did your homework instead of judging me, you would know that I partaken in discussions of RGB video connections for the Genesis in the past here, and well aware of options.

Also, component video cable isn't the only factor in producing a good quality picture from a game system. The TV being used matters as well. Through the years I come to find that my older CRT SDTV I bought in '04 has a good digital-comb filter that does a great job at separating the luminance and color (Y/C) from composite video fed to it.

Third, you must not own a 32X if you haven't seen the enhancement in color quality between playing Genesis games alone, and playing Genesis games through a 32X since you keep rambling about the type of video connection as if the two are not mutually exclusive topics.

it's not a money thing. it's the fact that you base your 32x encoding opinion on composite cables, which is terrible on megadrive. I have a 32x as well and I never noticed any improvement with or without it on megadrive games.

perhaps someone else can share their ligt.
    Last edited by bultje112; 08-02-2018 at 11:52 AM.

it's not a money thing. it's the fact that you base your 32x encoding opinion on composite cables, which is terrible on megadrive. I have a 32x as well and I never noticed any improvement with or without it on megadrive games.

perhaps someone else can share their ligt.
    I'm taking back what I said about the color enhancements, when I first had this notion of an enhancement is when I had my Genesis hooked up to my old 30" CRT HDTV, I would see a brighter red backdrop in MK3 when I ran it with the 32X attached.
    Looking back I think that TV just had a terrible filter for composite inputs.

From this discussion I just did some tests between Composite and RF video connected currently to my 27" CRT SDTV with and without the 32X attached, and to my surprise I could no longer see the color difference anymore.
    The extra saturation of color I thought the 32X added to Genesis games was still present without the 32X when I ran the games directly from the Genesis over RF. What I got extra this time was the RF terrible noise interference and color bleed added.
    Switching back to Composite AV to see if there was a difference there, and despite getting a SUPER CLEAN picture, I did not see any additional saturation of colors in the Genesis games running through or without the 32X as I previously had.

Say what you want about Composite video being terrible (it's actually crisp and clean on my TV), RF video cable is the absolute worse.

I'm not bashing composite in general (although I do heavily prefer rgb). I'm bashing composite specifically on the megadrive which is absolutely terrible. it's so bad it can't be compared to composite on any other systems I've had.

Thread Information