Quantcast

Thread: I reviewed Alex Kidd in Miracle World

Default I reviewed Alex Kidd in Miracle World

This week I took a look at Alex Kidd in Miracle World for the Sega Master System. Alex Kidd was Sega's mascot before Sonic and was created with the sole purpose of competing with Mario.

Sadly, that didn't quite pan out for Sega as expected.

Please check out my YouTube channel

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

good review, man! i love your logo, haha

great highlights about level design as well, i feel that doesn't get discussed enough...and i had no idea you could skip that last fight that way, that's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    good review, man! i love your logo, haha

great highlights about level design as well, i feel that doesn't get discussed enough...and i had no idea you could skip that last fight that way, that's awesome!
    Sadly I had to use someone else's footage for that part where you skip the last boss. It seems my Alex Kidd skills have gotten rusty over the years.

Road Rasher

Its an awesome game, its such a shame that the following games were not based on this exact gameplay, because theyd have been great too.

The Mega Drive Alex Kidd game couldve been mind boggling if they just kept it simular to this one in terms of controls, if nothing else. This was really the only issue, they added some great stuff, but those controls, and that kick when jumping is just shit.

Im looking forward to getting some free time to make a couple carts of the hack versions that people have made, they look awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by CasetheCorvetteman View Post
    Its an awesome game, its such a shame that the following games were not based on this exact gameplay, because theyd have been great too.

The Mega Drive Alex Kidd game couldve been mind boggling if they just kept it simular to this one in terms of controls, if nothing else. This was really the only issue, they added some great stuff, but those controls, and that kick when jumping is just shit.

Im looking forward to getting some free time to make a couple carts of the hack versions that people have made, they look awesome.
    Have you seen Sega 8-bit's Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2? I'm hoping to review that one in the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by stika View Post
    Have you seen Sega 8-bit's Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2? I'm hoping to review that one in the coming weeks.
    I would love to hear about Miracle World 2 - I tried ages ago to look into buying a reproduction of this but couldn't find anything.

Miracle World has too many ideas going for it, and the pacing is all over the place. Plus, the ending sucks. That said, I'm super interested in the Miracle World 2 effort - I genuinely hope it takes everything cool about its source and just really refines it. It could be great. But if not, Shinobi World is the only Alex Kidd game I'll ever need.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by stika View Post
    Yes i have, and very keen to get in and give it a go!

Road Rasher

Alex Kidd

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    I would love to hear about Miracle World 2 - I tried ages ago to look into buying a reproduction of this but couldn't find anything.

Miracle World has too many ideas going for it, and the pacing is all over the place. Plus, the ending sucks. That said, I'm super interested in the Miracle World 2 effort - I genuinely hope it takes everything cool about its source and just really refines it. It could be great. But if not, Shinobi World is the only Alex Kidd game I'll ever need.
    Miracle World is nothing short of awesome, it is a real top notch game. It was so much of a step up from Super Mario Bros in pretty much every way.

Quote Originally Posted by CasetheCorvetteman View Post
    Miracle World is nothing short of awesome, it is a real top notch game. It was so much of a step up from Super Mario Bros in pretty much every way.
    Comparing Alex Kidd to Super Mario is missing the forest for the trees. That's great that it was a step up in pretty much every way, except I didn't find Alex Kidd nearly as cohesive an experience at its entirety as its contemporary.

Maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    Comparing Alex Kidd to Super Mario is missing the forest for the trees. That's great that it was a step up in pretty much every way, except I didn't find Alex Kidd nearly as cohesive an experience at its entirety as its contemporary.

Maybe that's just me.
    Yes, I agree.

In terms of game and stage design, SMB is definitely more cohesive and better designed, albeit more simple.

Best Alex Kidd game is Shinobi World - a lighthearted, easygoing and well-designed action platformer.

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is easily my favorite game in the series, but if suffers from one major flaw: It's incredibly short. The game needed at three more levels at the very least.

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

^agreed, you reach the end and you're like "wait what?" it's awesome but really short! i suppose that helps for some games with lesser stages, but still

also im sure if i didn't play alex kidd: high tech world so much as a kid, i'd hate it like everyone else here, haha

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    Yes, I agree.

In terms of game and stage design, SMB is definitely more cohesive and better designed, albeit more simple.

Best Alex Kidd game is Shinobi World - a lighthearted, easygoing and well-designed action platformer.
    More simple is a rather large understatement, everything in Mario basically repeats over and over with more enemies and obstacles.

They couldve done the same with Miracle world, and created 7 more worlds of the same short stages repeated, then had a final round, but they didnt, because it gets boring fast.

Mario Bros 3 though? Much better effort, vastly more exciting than the first.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert OmegaMax's Avatar

Good review

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaMax View Post
    Good review
    Why thank you! ^^

Thread Information