Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Panzer Dragoon Saga

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Default Panzer Dragoon Saga

Just wanted to share this fantastic article/interview:

https://www.theringer.com/2018/1/29/...ng-masterpiece

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Nice share there, good read! I especially agreed with the point that it's an RPG for those of us, myself included, who are not RPG fans.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

There really is nothing else like the game, by far the greatest and most impressive thing to come out of the Saturn..

A team with no experience in RPGs, working a console with extremely difficult hardware and very little support, somehow produced one of the most unique, atmospheric and memorable games ever made.

And of course barely anyone played it. If there is ever a reason for the importance of emulation, this game is it.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

What do they mean with the opening statement: "remains nearly impossible to play".
    Do they mean because it is expensive, that makes it impossible to play? Is PDS not able to be emulated or played on modded consoles? What is so impossible, and why have I not heard of this before?
    Do I really want to continue reading an article that opens with such a moronic statement?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    A team with no experience in RPGs
    Off the top of my head, I'd thought one of the team members worked on Crusader of Centy.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Talmit View Post
    Off the top of my head, I'd thought one of the team members worked on Crusader of Centy.
    Not really an RPG.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

What do they mean with the opening statement: "remains nearly impossible to play".
    Do they mean because it is expensive, that makes it impossible to play? Is PDS not able to be emulated or played on modded consoles? What is so impossible, and why have I not heard of this before?
    Do I really want to continue reading an article that opens with such a moronic statement?
    No.

did you read past the first 4 lines?
    Last edited by bultje112; 02-16-2018 at 04:49 PM.

I took it to mean that in order to play it properly and without too much faff (emulation, looking for the right ROMs, settings tweeking etc) you'd need a Saturn. Even then we have the faff of connecting that to a modern TV and having it run right. All our kind of thing, being that we like complicated gaming setups and tinkering with them as much as we like actually playing.

I also got the impression that this article was aiming more at the more modern gamer who might have an interest in older games but not wanting to go to these lengths - there was the reference to ports for modern systems and so on, I think the author meant it's almost impossible to play for this more casual crowd given all the limitations to actually accessing the title effectively and easily to play in a worthwhile way.

Master of Shinobi

I skimmed over the article, there are some parts in it I find strange, particularly how they changed stuff in the localization. Did they really come up with things like "Pattergo" and "Baldor"? Or would I see パッテルゴ and バードル if I booted up the JP version?

It's well known that the localization does contain liberties (Stolarium comes to mind), but some of those are suspicious.

No.
    The only good emulators that can play it are for Windows PCs. Emulation today means virtual console on the Wii or some Android crap to play on your phone. And you have to know how to set up those emulators too; if it's more complicated than buying it on Steam then it is automatically impossible to play for a lot of people.

It sucks that the game went up so much in price. I remember buying my copy for something around 80 british pounds and selling it for twice as much a year later. Today it would cost me 320 pounds minimum, or 400 with the cardboard cover included.

Android is quite interesting at the mo - Yabasanshiro is quite capable, all things considered, and quite frequently updated with a responsive dev.

I need to boot this fucker up I bought this Warcraft and Steep Slope Sliders and Hexen all for 360 like wow 9-11-15
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    did you read past the first 4 lines?
    No.
    (but actually I did skim it. And I see the author again claims the original PDS is "impossible" to play today.)

I know hyperbole is very popular especially with videogame writers but this is worse than that.
    Does the writer know what impossible means? Do the readers?

Buy Panzer Dragoon Saga (and a Saturn), play it, sell it, pretty much break even. Where's the impossibility again?
    Last edited by Prince Talmit; 02-16-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    I skimmed over the article, there are some parts in it I find strange, particularly how they changed stuff in the localization. Did they really come up with things like "Pattergo" and "Baldor"?
    This is whats gets me when people slag off Working Designs, there are always changes with translation jobs and to me Working Designs did some of the best..

It sucks that the game went up so much in price.
    Yeah, I remember getting my copy for 35 a day before the official release from Gameplay (who always shipped games early) . Good times and for my money the best RPG of that generation
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    This is whats gets me when people slag off Working Designs, there are always changes with translation jobs and to me Working Designs did some of the best..

Yeah, I remember getting my copy for 35 a day before the official release from Gameplay (who always shipped games early) . Good times and for my money the best RPG of that generation
    Even if that was true, the reason is that Working Designs is responsible for the absolute worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

working designs did some very bad translation work. shining wisdom in us makes no sense compared to the actual true translation that is the pal version of the game. there are also differences in translation between saga us and saga pal version. the pal version probably being a lot more trustworthy again.

Hero of Algol

Thread Information