Quantcast

Thread: Question about A/V sound on a model 1 Genesis.

Wildside Expert

Default Question about A/V sound on a model 1 Genesis.

Hello everyone. I have a va2 Genesis that I primarily use in mono through the A/V port. I was playing Sonic today and I thought I noticed that the sound was louder coming from the left speaker. The right speaker on my TV has sound but it is very quiet. I tried a different TV, same results. So then I decided to try the r/f cable that it came with and it sounded perfect! Loud and rich. I assume this can't be caused be capacitors because then both a/v and r/f would sounds similar.

So my question is, shouldn't A/V sound better? What could be causes my Genesis to be so quiet using A/V and not r/f?

Banned by Administrators Wildside Expert

bad A/V Cables?

Left speaker is usually defaulted source for mono outputs. My guess is that your TVs are picking up on this and only use the left speaker or channel out for mono audio. You can hear it slightly from the right because of some cross talk or something happening within the TV would be my guess.

A way to test this: If your cables have both a left and right output on them, then swap them on the back of the TV and see if the sound switches speakers on which is louder or not? If you only have the one audio out cable, then swap the input on the back of the TV you are using to see if the sound changes loudness on the other speaker or rather on whichever speaker you have the cable plugged into.

If you're TVs have stereo sound, then why not just use a 1/8" to separate left/right RCA outputs from the headphone jack on the front of your genesis to your TV? You would at least get stereo sound that way?

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    Left speaker is usually defaulted source for mono outputs. My guess is that your TVs are picking up on this and only use the left speaker or channel out for mono audio. You can hear it slightly from the right because of some cross talk or something happening within the TV would be my guess.

A way to test this: If your cables have both a left and right output on them, then swap them on the back of the TV and see if the sound switches speakers on which is louder or not? If you only have the one audio out cable, then swap the input on the back of the TV you are using to see if the sound changes loudness on the other speaker or rather on whichever speaker you have the cable plugged into.

If you're TVs have stereo sound, then why not just use a 1/8" to separate left/right RCA outputs from the headphone jack on the front of your genesis to your TV? You would at least get stereo sound that way?
    So I did what you said and switched the audio cables around and now the music sounds loud in the right speaker and not the left, so it flipped on both my CRT and my flat screen. I am using official Sega AV cables too.

I also want to add that the speaker/channel that is louder with a/v still is not as loud as either speaker when I use r/f adapter. Like if I turn the balance on my TV over to the left speaker only, it's still significantly louder when I use r/f than with a/v.

I don't use the headphone jack because since it's a va2 model 1, I get all that crackling distortion in most games.
    Last edited by Salduchi; 03-05-2018 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Add small detail

Quote Originally Posted by Salduchi View Post
    So I did what you said and switched the audio cables around and now the music sounds loud in the right speaker and not the left, so it flipped on both my CRT and my flat screen. I am using official Sega AV cables too.

I also want to add that the speaker/channel that is louder with a/v still is not as loud as either speaker when I use r/f adapter. Like if I turn the balance on my TV over to the left speaker only, it's still significantly louder when I use r/f than with a/v.

I don't use the headphone jack because since it's a va2 model 1, I get all that crackling distortion in most games.
    Then it could very well be something in the cable. The point of the test was to see if it was just the TVs doing this in the way they handle a mono signal, or something from the cable/Genesis itself. Since the loudness changes based on which audio input you plug into, that would lock it to the cable or genesis most likely at this point.

Now..about that scratchy audio from the headphone port... have you recapped this va2 yet? Also those reostats (Volume slider) go bad pretty easily and I've had to replace a few over the years. I don't know a source for them, so I've been lucky in that I've pulled them off of va7 units I've snagged in the past for cheap and use as parts or case donors for other model 1 units. If you can get that volume slider replaced, the scratchy audio from the headphone jack should minimize if not go away completely.

Other option of course since it is a va2 is to have separate left and right RCAs added to the back of it pulling the audio from the 1034 chip itself to bypass some of that headphone filtering and the volume slider completely. Or if you don't want to add RCAs off the back, you could clip the wires going to the headphone jack and wire those straight to the 1034 instead. You would lose the volume slider control doing this, but the audio would be cleaned up considerably and you wouldn't be altering the case in any form.

Wildside Expert

I am beginning to think it's the TV. I used my Nintendo 64 as a test and unplugged the red cable so it was playing in mono and I got the same results as my Genesis. Low sound out of the right speaker. Then I swapped the input. Same thing. So now I am thinking it's just both of my tv's.

I have not recapped my Genesis. I bought it like new and it has had very little use. It seems to work perfectly fine aside from this. To my knowledge all model 1 va2's have this crackling issue because of too much gain. I'm against modding my va2 in any way. Apparently these launch models are somewhat hard to find especially in newish/minty condition.

Well..the only crackling if you want to call it that, from a va2 is distortion on loud notes and sounds but not during normal playback no. Mine doesn't exhibit this unless something like Gunstar Heroes kicks in and then you hear the clipping on the loudest parts. But I still prefer the audio output of my va2 and va3 over any other Genesis model. My JPN va3 has some of the best overall audio I've heard and it is a completely stock unit.

I thought you meant crackling from the headphone port all the time in general? That is indicative of a bad volume slider (rheostat).

Wildside Expert

Yeah I meant distortion. I should have been more clear. It's definitely from loud sounds. 1st generation Genesis games don't seem to do it as much. Maybe developers were aware of the issue. The worse example I have ever been able to find while playing it at the end of the 1st level in Sonic 3 when that big flying ship starts dropping bombs on you. It sounds like my speakers are going to blow. I also notice it more when the volume slider is low.

Thread Information