Quantcast

Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: hang him! Unpopular but not always negative gaming opinions

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Grind's Avatar

Glover for the Nintendo 64 is a good video game and would have been a great video game if it didn't have input lag.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    shoot'm ups (...) were amazing on amiga
    Let that sink in for a moment.

Haphazardly attempting to go back on topic...

* Gaming on keyboards is generally superior to gaming with analogue wobbler joysticks, except when they're not (or a D-pad is available).
    * The CXA1645M encoder is *horribly* overrated. Seriously, you couldn't tell me the heavily pixellated, vertical line-ridden composite output of that thing is better than a '1145M. The '1645M's saving grace is that it allows an easy S-video connection with a minimum of parts, which I'll admit is damned nice. But the MB3514 also allows an easy S-video connection, and looks virtually identical on S-video.
    * The Genesis 3 took a lot of unfair flak for what it is. For all its faults it's still lightyears ahead of AtGames Genesis systems, in the ways that matter.
    * The IBM Model M keyboard is overrated: it has a 3-key rollover limitation which can be a big problem when emulating certain games. This coming from a man hopelessly in love with his two Model Ms. XD (I always had a soft spot for mechanical click keyboards, and I honestly wouldn't use rubber domes if I could ever help it.)
    * The FC1004 ASIC FM may be less noisy than the YM2612, but some games sound better with the YM2612's high crossover distortion. (That's why I have both VA2.3 and VA3 Model 2 systems, so I can pick whatever sounds best for the game in question.)

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

Mega Drive / Genesis model 2 is by far the best-looking iteration of the system.
    Formerly known as -RT

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Eep386 View Post
    * The CXA1645M encoder is *horribly* overrated. Seriously, you couldn't tell me the heavily pixellated, vertical line-ridden composite output of that thing is better than a '1145M. The '1645M's saving grace is that it allows an easy S-video connection with a minimum of parts, which I'll admit is damned nice. But the MB3514 also allows an easy S-video connection, and looks virtually identical on S-video.
    I totally agree but also add:
    - Motorola MC13077P has less noisy S-Video and better color encoding IMO. CXA1645M image is dark and the colors are kinda dull in comparison.

The Japanese adapter Santa Mega S-01 for S-Video for the MD uses the Motorola encoder; which is the same used by the Atari Jaguar IIRC.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Oh hell no. It's a much better game than Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.
    I won't disagree with that, they all suck. Well, at least Majora's Mask was a nice acid trip.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Let that sink in for a moment.
    nice way of raping quotes. Being from Brazil I doubt you've ever seen an amiga back in the day.

nice way of raping quotes. Being from Brazil I doubt you've ever seen an amiga back in the day.
    Maybe you will be surprised but i had a contact with an Amiga in back days. My friend had a shop for electronic repairs. So i was in house of him and he asked for help with a ´´computer´´ that he not knew operate it. It was an Amiga (Dont ask me about the model) it had only the 3.5 disk drive unit. We boot it and we laught about SO. We concluded: Or Windows copied this OS or This Os copied Windows. Workbench equal to windows?
    Therefore, brazilians have known Amiga in back days.
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Wii is dying. Last game Just Dance 2020. Thanks for all!

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

to all the amiga haters, you have to consider what was popular in europe. in europe people liked rpg's, adventure games, shoot'm ups, simulation games and sports games and those were amazing on amiga. stuff like: colonization, civilization, indiana jones games (especially atlantis), monkey island games, ports of call, sherman, banshee, sensible soccer, goal, championship manager games, settlers, lemmings, eye of the beholder games, cannon fodder, it came from the desert, lost patrol, f/a-18 interceptor, beneath a steel sky, defender of the crown, lost dutchman mine, carrier command, another world, moonstone, syndicate, apidya, turrican 2, battle squadron, apano sin, lotus games, pinball dream series, dune 1 and 2, wings, gunship 2000, f19 stealth fighter, ishar games, railroad tycoon, dreamweb.

I could go on for days. the amiga library is loaded beyond anything.
    I love the Amiga, and I never owned one during its era. I can understand the types of platformers and shooters on it are more niche in appeal than console/arcade stuff but I don't see how anyone can say it wasn't impressive for point and click adventure games, CRPGs, strategy games, and racing games. The Amiga doesn't have the same cultural variety of a Genesis or Playstation but for thinking-based Western games in particular, it's damn good.

The adventure genre alone has Indiana Jones and Fate of Atlantis, Beneath a Steel Sky, Dreamweb, Future Wars, Loom, Darkseed, Deja Vu, King's Quest VI, Legend of Kyrandia, Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, Zak McKraken, Simon the Sorceror, Universe, etc. Most aren't exclusives but computer formats aren't generally known for exclusives. The Amiga's second only to DOS PC for that genre back then.

The Amiga has such a large library that of course there are tons of duds. It also has plenty of hidden gems that rarely get attention: Super Obliteration, Llamatron, Perihelion, Qwak, Extase, B.A.T. series, Benefactor, D/Generation (the CD32 version's the best one), Walker, Slam Tilt, etc..

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by segarule View Post
    Maybe you will be surprised but i had a contact with an Amiga in back days. My friend had a shop for electronic repairs. So i was in house of him and he asked for help with a ´´computer´´ that he not knew operate it. It was an Amiga (Dont ask me about the model) it had only the 3.5 disk drive unit. We boot it and we laught about SO. We concluded: Or Windows copied this OS or This Os copied Windows. Workbench equal to windows?
    Therefore, brazilians have known Amiga in back days.
    amiga was out there so long before windows, windows 3.1 is basically a terrible rip off, of workbench.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

I think I've done enough random quotes...

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Sonic Spinball is not a bad game.
    Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Skyrim sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchid87 View Post
    N64 graphics suck, grainy and crisp PS1 stuff looks much better.
    I never realized the above were unpopular.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post

Final Fantasy IX is the best FF on PS1.
    I'd say it's the best FF.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    Super Mario Bros 2 (North America) is best NES Mario. That's right, the game that "isn't Mario" is the best one.
    Agreed!

I can never follow when it's popular to love FFVII or hate it, but I've always thought that it was just an average game.

I think Persona 3 sucks (although The Answer is pretty decent).

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

The Amiga has some nice games in the more cerebral category, for sure. There's some polished pure arcade style action games as well - Parasol Stars, Rainbow Islands, Rodland and Super Stardust spring to mind. Marble Madness was excellent for the early port that it was.

It's catalogue of Euroshmups - that on the whole represent a wholesale misunderstanding of the genre - not so much. My mate had an Amiga 600 as a teen, I would say the best designed STGs I saw on it were Apidya and the R-Type II port. There must be a few more decent offerings but I'm scratching my head trying to think of them.
    Last edited by OverDrone; 03-16-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Bullet hell shooters are ridiculous. Sure, they are insanely difficult, but they are more about learning the safe zones, over using natural twitch reaction that was required from the older guard.
    If by learning the safe zones you mean methodical, memorization, strategy based gameplay, it's not something that started with bullet-hells but rather old shooters like R-Type/Gradius and Toaplan/Raiden. Reaction-only gameplay became boring for developers around mid 80s.

- Dragon's Dogma was the best game of the entire past generation and one of the best games I've ever played. it eats any souls game for breakfast.

- Every 3d Mario game has been overrated beyond belief

- Every 3d Zelda game has been overrated except BOTW, which is a 10/10 game.

- Yu Suzuki is by far the greatest and most influential game designer we've ever seen. Shigeru Miyamoto is a joke compared to him.

- The SNES controller is way too small and in general utter shit. People who prefer this controller over any of the Megadrive ones need professional help,

- The N64 controller is the worst controller of all time

- N64 is the most overrated system of all time and the worst system by far made by any major console developer (Sega, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft).

- The good/bad game ratio on Dreamcast is more than 90% and no console ever, to this day has, come close to that. Not even the newer generations.

- Knuckles Chaotix is very underrated and actually an amazing co-op platformer.

- Ecco the Dolphin (Tides of Time) (Sega CD) is perhaps the finest piece of 16 bit software.
    Post of the year so far and you are so right, Miyamoto is a joke and Yu Suzuki is a GOD. To this day nobody makes a better racer than SEGA and Yu ‘GOD’ Suzuki
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Post of the year so far and you are so right, Miyamoto is a joke and Yu Suzuki is a GOD. To this day nobody makes a better racer than SEGA and Yu ‘GOD’ Suzuki
    Completely agree. Yu Suzuki should be put on a pedestal by the gaming community but instead is largely only well known in the Sega community and doesn't receive half the praise he deserves. Meanwhile Miyamoto has buckets of jizz thrown over him by all and sundry in the games community. More evidence, if it was ever needed, of the Nintendo bias that has been endemic in the games industry for the last thirty years.

Thread Information