Quantcast

Thread: EA Carts

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

Default EA Carts

Holy Crap, I'm trying to find a Screwdiver for the EA Carts

I thought I had one, But lost it & I forgot want kind or Bit, It takes

I see a Tri-Groove with a bump in the Middle, I just want a Screwdriver for it

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

You really don't need a special tipped driver. Look for a very small flat blade (2mm ?) that can be found in a precision screwdriver set and insert it in one of the three slots to turn the screw. The hard part isn't the screws but removing the stupid yellow plastic clip! Without breaking it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert ITViking's Avatar

What's up with those yellow plastic clips? Is there a reason for them? I had realized it until I read your post, but I guess it is just EA cartridges isn't it?

Now I'm thinking I need to take another look at my EA carts to see if I have the correct tools to open them.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

When EA inquired about publishing its games on the Genesis, the executives felt their proposal would be met with open arms.
    Instead of embracing the logic in EA’s proposal, Sega of America president Mike Katz had other ideas. Sega wanted to emulate the Nintendo licensing agreement system, leaving little to no negotiation room for third-party publishers.
    The discussion went back and forth for nearly a year, until a Sega executive boldly told Bing Gordon, “If you want a different deal you’re going to have to reverse engineer the system, aren’t you?”
    Sega had thrown down the gauntlet, and EA gladly picked it up. Under the guidance of its legal counsel, the company gave two of its most talented engineers the green light to attempt a clean room reverse engineering job on the Genesis.
    ...EA’s hardware group built several reverse engineered development systems. Unbeknownst to Sega, EA ramped up production on several Genesis games.
    Sega was caught in an uncomfortable position. If EA went ahead with its licensing program, the console manufacturer would be losing a significant portion of the profit that traditionally comes with the territory. EA could essentially reach out to other publishers and offer better returns and cheaper manufacturing costs than Sega was willing to do.
    In exchange for agreeing to join Sega’s licensing program, EA would be allowed to manufacture its own Genesis cartridges, could make as many games as it wanted, and received a more favorable royalty rate.

source: http://bluetoad.com/display_article.php?id=773681

At lest those yellow clips are of a flexible kinda rubbery plastic. Some chose to after removing it they toss it but I always put it back.

I like the EA carts adds a bit of variety and look kinda cool, you can see at a glance to ascertain their publisher's

Thread Information