Quantcast

Thread: Full Throttle on the Dreamcast

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Default Full Throttle on the Dreamcast

arguably the greatest point and click adventure game of all time is fully playable on dreamcast! just burned it and it runs very well! I have the old pc version laying around but this is way more useful for me. game saves fine to a vmu as well.

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/...ll-throttle-2/

I will see if I can understand how scumvm works, so I can get the broken sword games, beneath a steel sky, indiana jones games and tons more playable on the drea,cast
    Last edited by bultje112; 03-19-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Yeap, somewhere I have a CD with the then current build of ScummVM and about a half dozen or so games preloaded on it. The most difficult and time consuming part for me was going through each of them and compressing them down further with the ScummVM tools to make them as small as possible to fit as many as I could onto a disc and still look and sound good.

My favorite LucasArts adventures by far would be The Dig, Indy and the Last Crusade: Graphic Adventure, The Secret of Monkey Island, and then Full Throttle in pretty much that order.

That's pretty rad, how is the speed? I have yet to play Full Throttle. I really enjoyed Monkey Island, The Dig, Sam & Max, etc.

The speed was every bit as good as playing on a nice high end 486 or low end pentium of the day as I recall. Even the FMV was smooth for full throttle playing off disc. Music was my only issue since you are forced to use adlib/sb emulation for the older games that didn't have full speech and music from the CD. Just can't beat Indy, Loom, and Monkey Island 1 & 2 from how they sound on a real MT-32...

Never tested this on the Dreamcast but it seems the game has its own share of problems trying to work well on the system when you get to the demolition derby part, so it's not supposed to be completable. I believe there's a key sequence to skip that part (pressing Shift + V), so maybe that could work if you have the possibility to input it.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I'm not gonna put my lips on that thing!
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedaemon View Post
    That's pretty rad, how is the speed? I have yet to play Full Throttle. I really enjoyed Monkey Island, The Dig, Sam & Max, etc.
    I played it back in the day on a good 486 and it runs similar if I can recollect it properly. really nothing wrong with it as long as your dreamcast is still working fine. Going to do a full playthrough this weekend for nostalgia sakes.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I'm not gonna put my lips on that thing!
    Hah!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker troopa jr's Avatar

monkey island 1 & 2 are two of my favourite games of all time...

The game hangs up if you choose speech+subtitles during the intro. I still have to test if you can use this setting at all. Does anyone still beaten this one on DC? I hope its completable.

Yesterday I managed to play through the entire game on Dreamcast and proved it wrong that the DC cannot handle the game. Its not without issues though. During the cinemas it often hangs up showing an error message so I suggest to save as often as possible. Somehow if you don't play with speech+subtitles the chance of an error is reduced.
    The problem at the Burning scene during the destruction derby minigame which is mentioned above and can be found throughout the net happend to me four times so I thought I won't get beyond that point too. Then I saved the game a few seconds before that scene and on my fifths try I passed it flawlessly.
    All in all I had fun playing this game on Dreamcast. Nevertheless I can understand if some won't touch it because of the issues.
    Last edited by Raistlin; 07-19-2019 at 05:19 AM.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

The DC should have no problem running this game. I'd say it's more of a port problem, because people were running this on the original Pentium @60Mhz.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information